The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2022, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I was referencing the many posts here from people that don't like or adapt well to the neck. I'm happy we're in agreement that it works well!
Yeah, I love it too, but the Mod-V is a pretty polarizing neck. Some of us love it, and those who love it tend to REALLY love it. But if I had a nickel for everyone on this forum (and others) who’s said something like ‘I loved the sound of the CEO-7, but I just couldn’t get along with the neck’, I’d have, well, several nickels… But if you can get along with the Mod-V, the CEO-7 is a pretty great little guitar.

-Ray
Old 09-09-2022, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Yea to me the mod-v neck feels very similar to the neck on my National NRP, so no issues there.

I really wish I could get my hands on a Huss and Dalton 00
Old 09-09-2022, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
...I really wish I could get my hands on a Huss and Dalton 00
Have you checked The Fingerboard Extension in Corvallis? Their website shows a H&D Crossroads 14 fret, as well as a T-0014. Just down the pike...

Might also check Bullfrog Music. Been a while since I've been there, but they had a pretty good inventory at that time.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Funny you should mention that Kevin. I just came across the Fingerboard Extension today looking at H&D dealers in Oregon. I need to go down to Salem next Saturday, so I might as well just keep driving to Corvalis. Thanks for mentioning Bullfrog Music, I'll check them out as well.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

My last visit there was pre-Covid, but there were 4 shops right in that general area: FB Extension, Bullfrog, Extraordinary Acoustics and Troubadour. You might need to call/email Extraordinary Acoustics...it may still be by appt only.

Good luck. I'd be interested to hear about your H&D impressions. I have one of their FS models, which I like. But 00s are what I keep coming back to.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:54 PM

I’ve owned a CEO 9 (Mango back) and an HD 00 SP, which is different than the HD T 00 14. The CEO 9 had a woodiness and thump, it’s not a clear and crystal one guitar at all. One of the tuners became loose and I was mixed on the guitar so I sold it.

On the other hand the HD was just awesome. It’s super light, resonant, soooo easy to play, it just puts a smile on my face every time. So for me it’s not even close.

It’s a shame with Martins because my experience with them is a few are great, the other ones not so much. The same day I got the HD I played a Martin OM28 that was just lovely. If I was not set mentally on the HD I would have snapped up the Martin.

QUOTE=anton;7081084]I'm considering these two guitars was wondering if anyone can offer some comparison points. I'll primarily be fingerpicking, with some strumming/flatpicking from time to time.

I've played a few CEO-7's, and like the basic configuration. Short scale, mod-v neck, wider string spacing, all good. An older one I played didn't really grab me, another brand new one sounded great. Maybe it was the strings. Seems like used I'm looking at around $2500.

Its been a few years since I have played a H&D 00. I've got a line on a used one with mahogany back and sides from a store for $3K. Englemann top, and comes with a 48hr trial period. Part of me thinks if I am going to pay $2500 for a used CEO I might as well throw down another $500 and get something from a small shop. Plus I don't have a 12 fret guitar, and I love how that one looks. But I can't play one locally first, and I at least like to play a version or two of a particular guitar before ordering online.

Maybe what I need to do is go on a vacation to the Bay Area and hit up the good acoustic guitar shops so I can play everything in person.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-09-2022, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Having owned a Martin CEO-7 and having played a couple of Huss & Dalton T-0014 guitars in my favorite local store, I like the Huss & Dalton T-0014 much more than the Martin CEO-7.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-09-2022, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again Kevin, I will definitely check out those other shops as well if I can.

Sounds like high praise for the Huss and Dalton 00-SP. Anyone have any experience with the mahogany back and sides version? Or mostly just with the rosewood model?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion