The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 10:54 AM

Default Need a guitar for my pastor

Hi,

My pastor is amazing, constantly teaching, encouraging, shepherding. And somewhere in there he finds time to lead music for the youth group when others like myself can't. He has an older guitar that I have fixed multiple times, the guitar is beat up and the pickup won't stay together. I finally decided that I need to buy him a better guitar.

First thought was a Yamaha FGX800. They are a phenomenal value, I've played them. With hard case and tax they come in around $400. But honestly they feel a bit cheap (light?). I feel that I could do better with a used... something. Martin? Taylor 114? Eastman? I'd like to do something in the $500-700 range.

My first guitar was a Martin DCME. Great guitar for the money. But the more recent "road series" have no binding?!? I have a hard time with this, it protects the guitar in so many ways. I think it would be hard to find a Martin in my price range that actually has binding.

Taylor, a used 114e maybe?

Eastman. I looked at a AC122, but it had a satin finished and seemed easily scratched.

Blue Ridge? Takamine? Recording King? I don't know much about them.

This guitar won't be taken care of with mittens, it will be used and left out and probably banged around occasionally. It's utility. No bling. I think a gloss finish would do better at protecting the guitar. Absolutely needs a simple pickup, likely UST.

I wonder about the Yamaha LL6M.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

Last edited by rschultz; 04-08-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:05 AM

I suggest it doesn't matter, since the use case does not involve recording or an environment suitable for critical listening.

Playability matters, so whether you purchase used or new make sure the instrument is set up well for the intended playing style and string guage, and if buying used be confident that there are no structural issues which will affect the instrument's integrity and usability.

Beyond that, unless the recipient of your gift prefers a specific body size/style, the brand name and model are arguably going to be of little consequence - you're just looking for something structurally sound with a functional pickup.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:25 AM

I haven't had a chance to try a Yamaha LL6, but I did try a gently used Yamaha LL16. It was very nice. Definitely a full-sized dread in size and tone. It was very nice, but I was just tire-kicking, not shopping, so didn't buy it. Would not hesitate to buy if I was shopping. If that's the size of guitar to suit your pastor, I would guess the LL6 would be similar, with the benefit of the more durable laminate sides and back with a slightly lower cost. It comes with a passive UST, so maybe that pickup is good enough to suit your need. It would definitely need an external preamp before the mixing board (or straight into an acoustic amp, if that's what you use).

A different thought for you. From the description of your pastor and the expected use, I wonder if you might do well to find a gently used mid-range guitar that has no factory pickup in it, and spring for a passive mag pickup, something like a Baggs M1. Those pickups tend to be pretty plug-and-play, they can sound great with simple EQ, and you won't have to worry about whether the Pastor's guitar's pickup battery is fresh or not.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
A different thought for you. From the description of your pastor and the expected use, I wonder if you might do well to find a gently used mid-range guitar that has no factory pickup in it, and spring for a passive mag pickup, something like a Baggs M1. Those pickups tend to be pretty plug-and-play, they can sound great with simple EQ, and you won't have to worry about whether the Pastor's guitar's pickup battery is fresh or not.
Well that's a thought. I'll keep my eye out.

As for LL6 series it has a passive UST. Most of the situations we are in go straight from guitar to DI box to board so having an onboard preamp/battery to boost the signal is best.

That said, the A1 series might be the perfect compromise. $479 for the A1M.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 04-08-2024, 11:35 AM

The onboard tuner in the FGX800 is one less thing that needs to be looked for/found. I say get the FGX800, the hard case, a good setup on it, upgrade the bridge pins, get a nice strap and straplocks for it. The pickup in it sounds better than mostly everything else in the price range. If you're that worried about a name on a headstock, maybe an X series Martin. I've heard some that sound alright plugged in.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The onboard tuner in the FGX800 is one less thing that needs to be looked for/found. I say get the FGX800, the hard case, a good setup on it, upgrade the bridge pins, get a nice strap and straplocks for it. The pickup in it sounds better than mostly everything else in the price range. If you're that worried about a name on a headstock, maybe an X series Martin. I've heard some that sound alright plugged in.
YamahaGuy... you seem to be the Yamaha expert. The A1 series has a similar preamp to the FGX800. What's your experience between the two series?
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 04-08-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
YamahaGuy... you seem to be the Yamaha expert. The A1 series has a similar preamp to the FGX800. What's your experience between the two series?
The A series has a faster neck, and the guitar has some slightly better aesthetic parts like the binding and rosette. I had an A1M. It was a really great guitar. I got a great deal on it as it was beat up. I used it as a beater for the short time I had it and actually made a few dollars off it.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The A series has a faster neck, and the guitar has some slightly better aesthetic parts like the binding and rosette. I had an A1M. It was a really great guitar. I got a great deal on it as it was beat up. I used it as a beater for the short time I had it and actually made a few dollars off it.
I had an A1R and it was fine. It seems like either the M or the R would be great solution for this situation.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:48 AM

Default pastor guitar

Well...I'll put my usual recommendation, since I have one:

Yamaha FG-820-12

It puts out so much volume you may not need a pickup. It's pretty rugged. Parenthetically, I don't know if the yammie you tried actually was "cheap", but I doubt it. Yamaha guitars are all solid, well-made instruments.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:50 AM

I think you should buy based on brand and looks. Is he a Martin, a Taylor or a Yamaha kinda dude? A shiny black dread for a Johnny Cash fan or a Guild A-20 for a Bob Marley fan etc.

And don't simply assume a dread is the best idea. It's easier to make a smaller guitar loud, it's just they don't have the bass thump, which may not be important to lead the youth group. A dread is at the limit of what fits most of us and beyond it for many.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
I had an A1R and it was fine. It seems like either the M or the R would be great solution for this situation.
Is the A1 series a gloss finish or satin? I can't tell...
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 04-08-2024, 12:06 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I would suggest working directly with your pastor and let him sample various guitars in your price range... I'd let him choose.

I wouldn't want anyone to gift me a guitar and then me feel like I have to play it.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Is the A1 series a gloss finish or satin? I can't tell...
Gloss but not a "thick" or heavy finish.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My pastor is amazing, constantly teaching, encouraging, shepherding. And somewhere in there he finds time to lead music for the youth group when others like myself can't. He has an older guitar that I have fixed multiple times, the guitar is beat up and the pickup won't stay together. I finally decided that I need to buy him a better guitar...
Sounds like a very committed person, and buying him a "new" guitar is certainly a nice gesture. However, I'm unclear as to why it's incumbent upon any one parishioner to provide a nicer guitar for the pastor. Wouldn't that be the responsibility of the church? Color me ignorant about such things, and I hope I'm not stepping on any toes. I just don't know how this sort of thing works...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-08-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Sounds like a very committed person, and buying him a "new" guitar is certainly a nice gesture. However, I'm unclear as to why it's incumbent upon any one parishioner to provide a nicer guitar for the pastor. Wouldn't that be the responsibility of the church? Color me ignorant about such things, and I hope I'm not stepping on any toes. I just don't know how this sort of thing works...
Yeah you make good points. Every church is different. More affluent churches would just buy one without hesitation. This one is more financially conservative. Maybe the way to look at it is we try to be "content" with what we have. I've just become sensitive to this since his guitar has been in my workshop a couple times and it just needs to be "retired". Another guitar guy is going in with me, so whatever we do will be split. So $600-700 split isn't too bad.
'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion