The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-16-2024, 03:37 PM

Default Head Trauma

My friend was in a bad car wreck about six weeks ago, sitting at a light was rear-ended at 50mph. Looking at the wreckage I considered him lucky to be alive, but all he got was a big bump on the head. For a couple of days he insisted he was ok but had a massive headache that seemed to get no better. His wife took him to the doctor and they said severe concussion and put him in a strict protocol. He was just released Saturday to leave his house for short periods, but still no screen watching or loud noises, and limited sunlight. He went out for awhile Sunday and did fine, so when I talked to him yesterday we made plans for me to take him to lunch today, as he isn't allowed to drive either. But he texted me about mid morning saying he couldn't come because he was unexpectedly heading to the doctor's office because he had developed new symptoms overnight.

Tomorrow is six weeks in the protocol. This doesn't sound good. I am not a worrier, but I find this to be very concerning.

Any knowledge/experiences to share?
Old 04-16-2024, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I have a lot of knowledge and experience, but not enough information to say anything meaningful. It is best not to speculate. Unfortunately there is no crystal ball of reassurance. All you can do is be patient and be supportive.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:13 PM

Any type of incident that happens in one’s head is concerning and must be scrutinized constantly. It’s hard to predict what will happen. Let your friend’s doctors do their due diligence and make sure he’s doing what he should to get healthy - can’t do much else. I had a full-on seizure about 3 years ago; I went down like stone, foaming at the mouth, out cold. Not caused by any head trauma. Since then I’ve had multiple scans of every kind, several EEGs, blood tests, everything you can imagine, and according to all of that there’s no cause for a seizure. I’m normal and actually look better internally than a lot of folks my age. I’m fine, but there are some days where, for an hour or so, I just “don’t feel right.” And then I’m back to feeling good. It’s weird, and although I take a daily medication now, I think I’m never going to be exactly like I was. I’m fine with it - that’s life, but it’s a bit disconcerting to understand that no one knows what happened. I have no physical issues or restrictions. The good news is that the docs tell me that 90% of folks who have a seizure never have another one. Best wishes to your friend.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Boxing in a gym 2-3 afternoons a week after school when I was a kid left me with a continual concussion - for years. It was aggravated every time I competed, even just "sparring" between bouts. Grade school kids acknowledge little/nothing about practicing at "half-throttle" in a sport where punching faces and winning are all that matter.

Today, pushing 70, I can't help but feel an alarming twinge of impending doom whenever I can't come up with a word I want say. Or a chord. The latter is mostly just from letting songs go for too long and then hoping to dust them off after months/years of neglect.

I hope your friend heals quickly and completely. Head injuries can be sneaky. With any luck, that single incident won't take the same toll as, for instance, years on the gridiron.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-16-2024 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

One of the kids I’ve mentored for years (bird stuff) is also a modern dancer. She went to college on a dance scholarship. Modern dance is like gymnastics. In her senior year she got dropped during a maneuver onto her head. A moderate concussion. She said it was 11 weeks before she felt normal and could do “normal “ things again.

As others have said be supportive and I hope he follows doctors orders. These orders may change week to week. And 6 weeks may become 16+ until he feels better. Your support is a blessing to him.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 04-17-2024, 06:25 AM

As stated, head injuries are varied and dynamic. Nothing to do but rest and recover as best one can. You, and others can probably help him by stopping by to chat and ease his boredom. Decades ago I had a similar head injury and I can say that the tedium of "resting" was the most traumatic part of the recovery.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I'm confused. Why did your friend go to his doctor?

Why did he not go straight to A&E. (Accident & Emergency) or whatever you call where he lives?

Surely the paramedics that attended the accident would have insisted on this?
Old 04-17-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Why did he not go straight to A&E. (Accident & Emergency) or whatever you call where he lives?

Paramedics did insist but he insisted on not going, probably because he is of modest means and honestly believed he was ok. I don't know about your country but here we can refuse transport or hospital admittance if we wish.

He is about 20 years younger than me, a simple working man, and a wonderful person, full of life and positivity. And has now been out of work for six weeks. I am in process of snooping around about how we who care about him might assist his family financially, if needed.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts!
Old 04-17-2024, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Unless you're completely unconscious you can refuse all sorts of medical treatment and advice. For better or worse.

Also, the cost of medical care in the USA means a lot of people refuse treatment simply because it would be a huge financial hit. In fact, statistics show that roughly half a million Americans file for bankruptcy every year due to their medical debt burden. It may not be the case in this particular situation but it's a real obstacle for some.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Cant begin to comment specifically, but the human brain is far and away the most complex and mysterious machine in the known universe! I wish your friend a full and expedient recovery!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-18-2024, 12:40 PM

I agree with you, this does sound a bit troubling.

I hope all turns out well.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-19-2024, 12:25 AM

My Traumatic Brain Injury was March 22nd, 2013

I'm still dealing with short term memory dysfunction, cognitive discombobulation, hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo, anxiety, PTSD.

Other than that, I'm doing fine
Old 04-19-2024, 06:12 AM

He is at the neurological center for testing now. My men's Bible study group is helping with his family finances which, as I suspected, are becoming an issue. As several of you have stated, it's about all we can do for now...just be there.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:57 PM

Good news and bad news. The good news is that the new symptoms and tests gave the doctors a bit of indication of exactly what type of concussion, and where, my friend has received. They are adjusting his protocol a little, even doing some diet strategy, and are confident that with these adjustments and monitoring they are headed on the right path toward recovery.

The bad news is the recovery is looking like months, not weeks, it's a pretty serious injury. Thanks again to all!
Old 04-21-2024, 09:00 PM

I am not sure about the laws in his state but in Fl if you are rear ended the person who hit you is fully responsible for the cost.I would modestly suggest that he consult legal counsel if he has not already done so . Remind him that he is not bringing suit against the individual but his insurance company. Not a lawyer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic