The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
As long as it's credit and not debit the buyer has protection.
Wow, are people still spreading this one around???

I've used debit cards since well back into the previous century. Couple times scammers got hold of a d card #, tried to use it for unusual purchases, issuing banks refused payment, shut down the card, and notified me immediately.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Wow, are people still spreading this one around???

I've used debit cards since well back into the previous century. Couple times scammers got hold of a d card #, tried to use it for unusual purchases, issuing banks refused payment, shut down the card, and notified me immediately.
In terms of what a specific debit card issuer chooses to protect or not, yes they can have the same protections. However, the legal responsibility of a debit card issuer vs a credit card issuer is still very much in favor of using credit cards.

Legal requirements for debit card issuers allow a reporting time to affect (or even eliminate) their liability. Debit card issuers "may" offer you credit card level protections. Credit card issuers are legally required to offer you protection to a max of $50 regardless for fraudulent transactions. Plus, the debit card issuer has less motivation to recover/restore your money quickly. However, for a credit card issuer, the money lost is their own, so they are slightly more motivated.

Then, you also have to take into account that even if the debit card issuer does protect you, you are out actual money while they process the claim. An issue with you credit card does not affect your bank account directly. There is still a difference.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
This is true if you are a new seller, but if you have enough successful sales (I forget what the threshold is, maybe 5?) you are paid out once you upload a tracking number.
I've never sold anything on Reverb, but a number of people that move a lot of stuff on Reverb have said recently that they still do not get paid until either delivery is confirmed or, at the very least, the package is in the hands of the shipper.

Again, since I don't sell anything there, only going off what people that do say. I don't even know if those people ship via Reverb or generate their labels outside Reverb. It's just come up a lot on another forum.

Either way, I personally wait at least a couple days before I start to panic about it. Even more so when it is USPS. Their system sometimes is the best out of them, and other times it is complete garbage. I've had items show as not being in the system right up until it switched over to having been delivered.

My biggest complaint with FedEx has been that we have a way station here in my city, but not a hub. So all my packages come to town first. Then a day later are sent 50 miles away, then sit for a day or two, and then finally put on a truck to come back here. That and they don't update their estimates until the end of the day of expected delivery. I mean, if the item just made it to a state on the other coast the day before expected delivery, they should already know there is no way it is making it to me on time, but they don't update it until after 7 PM the next day.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:36 PM

I have never had a problem buying or selling on reverb.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
How did the convo re friends & family payment occur? Because it sounds like scam-Seller convinced buyer to go outside the Rverb messaging platform, then got all "Hey bro, do it this way and we both save money!". Now if he suggested it in the Reverb system, then they are at least partly liable - those terms should have been automatically flagged.

But wait - posted to credit card, not Paypal? Confused. As long as it's credit and not debit the buyer has protection.

his paypal I guess goes to his bank account/debit card

Reverb promised him resolution

The didn't deliver anything

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-10-2024, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

No matter what you do or how you do it, I think there is always risk of some kind. All you can do is minimize the risk and they let it play out. The only totally safe option is just not to buy guitars over the internet. And even then, it doesn't always go the way we plan.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-10-2024, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Hey bro, do it this way and we both save money!". Now if he suggested it in the Reverb system, then they are at least partly liable - those terms should have been automatically flagged.
#1 Red Flag for me. I've had them try it a couple times. Reverb fees aren't cheap, but the protection they offer is usually worth it.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:15 PM

Reverb contacted the seller and I was given a new tracking number which says the guitar will be delivered this Friday.

However, the listing is still up and it says only one guitar is available.

Washburn Elegante S24S Bella Tono Studio Acoustic Guitar. Gloss Natural. New with Full Warranty! https://reverb.com/item/68925573?utm...ntent=68925573
Old 01-10-2024, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Reverb contacted the seller and I was given a new tracking number which says the guitar will be delivered this Friday.

However, the listing is still up and it says only one guitar is available.

Washburn Elegante S24S Bella Tono Studio Acoustic Guitar. Gloss Natural. New with Full Warranty! https://reverb.com/item/68925573?utm...ntent=68925573
That seller has nearly 6,000 Reverb transactions and a 5 star rating, I think you’re safe
Old 01-10-2024, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That seller has nearly 6,000 Reverb transactions and a 5 star rating, I think you’re safe
What he/she said!
Old 01-11-2024, 08:35 AM

So, I guess when the ad says only one available, that is a fib in order to encourage a quick sale.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
So, I guess when the ad says only one available, that is a fib in order to encourage a quick sale.
I suppose that to an unethical marketer, it could mean "only one available" (until I put up an ad for another one.) Could have a thousand.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
The way the back-end of Reverb works for retail stores allows for syncing with POS and other inventory systems. The data doesn't always align in such a way that the "amount on hand" features work, so a lot of stores that also sell on reverb have items with multiple on hand that show a quantity of 1. The task of managing inventory would be virtually impossible for stores with big inventories, so you jus deal with it. It's not dishonest or slimy.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's why I'm hesitant to draw conclusions based on one side of the story. This bit of omitted information changes the whole dynamic of the situation.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 01-11-2024, 11:57 AM

The guitar arrived a day early! It is in fine condition. The listing is still up however. Why the listing remained up after I purchased the guitar was the source of my suspicion.

Thanks everyone for your input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion