The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2003, 09:44 AM

Default elixir string question on x14 series

anyone use the light-mediums instead of regular lights?

heavier low e, a and d strings........

i tune 1/2 step down and i wonder if the light-mediums might be better......plus my local shop only has poly's in light gage and i like nanos...which are med-lights...

thanks..
Old 01-26-2003, 10:52 AM

this is a semi-bump, as I hope someone who can speak with authority answers your question.....I can only tell you what I've read, and that alluded to a whole step down to go from lights to meds.....there is a tread that you might search for on here somewhere that had the techies talking about this issue.....
Old 01-26-2003, 11:15 AM

Light-Med's are a good option if you want to boost your bass notes a bit. I've found that if I put them on my 914c the bass notes are too strong, making the guitar sound a bit unbalanced. I've heard some on a x12 (I forget which series it was) and they sounded quite good. I can't comment on what the effect of these strings on a 314ce would be though... Perhaps if you play 1/2 step down it could sound good. Who knows?? Try one set and tell us what sounds like - it certainly won't harm your guitar.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:18 AM

That's interesting I have NEVER been able to find Med/Lt nanos, only polys. I play med/lts on my dreads one of which I keep tuned down 1/2 step.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:16 PM

Default yes!

The best thing you can do is to try it yourself. I re-strung my new 314ce-LTD the day after I got it with light-medium polys. I prefer them to the light nanos that came with the guitar. My reason for the change is that I also tune a 1/2 step down. From my observations, I now have a bit more bass (which I wanted). I originally wanted an X10ce for its full bass, but my 314ce-LTD with heavier strings definitely helped out with the low end - to the point where I'm glad I opted for the more comfortable Grand Auditorium body style.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:19 PM

I threw the light-meds on my 614ce, and I always tune down to Eb. It did exactly what I was expecting -- brought out some extra bass, and the maple certainly needed (IMO) to be 'toned down.'

I was never able to find the light-meds in Nano, though...only Poly. My one regret, as well.

A lot has been said about DM Alchemys on this board...My own experience tells me that if you are looking for a coated string with a deeper voice, but not necessarily going down a gauge, try out the Alchemy GoldPhos. Very mellow, deep tone. That may be a solution for you as well.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:49 AM

thanks guys..

well, if any of you want some light-med nanos my local shop has about 30 sets haha..over the past few months they actually have had more nanos than polys..this rush of polys surprised me...

anyway, i'm in the process of recording a CD with my band and wanted to get some backup strings....and with the imbuia on my 314, i like the tone of nanos better than polys..so i thought i'd try this hybrid gage..i have used them in the past on my seagull and liked them...but i can't remember why it's been so long ..i went back to lights due to avalibility...

the one thing we (the whole band) like about my particular 314ce is that it is really balanced....records like a dream...we have a 714ce as well and the lights seem to perk it up nicely...tried mediums once and that was a mistake..they came off as quick as they went on...

i'll try these light-med's this week and report back on the "balance" thing if anyones interested...

thanks again.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:13 PM

I am interested. How did it go?

-Phil
Old 03-07-2003, 09:28 AM

sorry, i got away a bit and lost track of this thread.

i put these on and really like them, it really wasn't that big of a difference....I mean the feel of the thicker bass strings was a little different...I liked it personally..

i play my taylor 90% of the time plugged in with my band, so i'm always happy when i get to wail on it acoustically...so much so that I probably miss most nuances..but when listening back to the recordings I'm loving the tone..

I think I'll go with these if when i'm buying strings I have the choice between these and regular lights..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion