The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Vintage Instruments, Philly

What a unique experience! I've been trying to get to this place for a while but the weekday only 10-5 hours thing was problematic for me.

We were in Philly yesterday and I finally made my way down Broad Street to Vintage Instruments.

The place looks like an old mansion from the outside and once you get ringed in they will take you downstairs to the guitar room.

Overwhelming is an understated way to put it. I was trying out a couple of new OM28's but I was surrounded by dozens of guitars going back to the 1920's reaching well into 5 figure price points. I was too intimidated to even touch them. The owner Fred was very cool and gave me plenty of room to strum around.

It was too much to take in all in one take. i encourage anyone in the area to pop in for a look.

https://vintage-instruments.com/
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-06-2020, 01:42 PM

Fred is great. I have a good friend who is a small vintage dealer who every time he goes to one of the large guitar shows says if he runs into something I would like on the cheap he will snag it for me. All but once he has come home empty handed. That one time he did not he found a guitar with nothing to allow him to ID but he figured it looked like something I would like. On his way out of the booth he ran into Fred whom he knew. Although my friend still did not know what the guitar he found for me was he knew he was in good shape when Fred looked at it and said "great find." And it was, the guitar being a very rare 1930s Oscar Schmidt-made Galiano jumbo.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:56 PM

Brooklyn Bob, thanks for your post. I just looked at their inventory and it is awesome. Very enjoyable. I was not familiar with their store, but will definitely visit next time I'm in Philly.
Best,
LarryK.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Bought one of their customs a few years back - very nice to deal with.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I love that place. I've never seen so many spectacular vintage guitars in one place, all out to play, where no one helicopters over you. A few years ago, they had a bunch of 20,000$ prewar Martins I would never have dreamed of playing. Unreal. They've got a great vintage Gibson collection as well as new Martins, Collings, and Waterloo. In a really cool historic building.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion