The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2024, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Though it’s not my favorite per se, it’s definitely aging very well into an excellent guitar: My Santa Cruz OM Grand short scale. I ordered this to commemorate the birth and adoption of my son. The tree of life peg head inlays as well as the 12th fret heart / triangle (the symbol for adoption) are special to him and the event of his birth and this will be passed down to him when he gets older whether he wants it or not!

You know, I'm up for adoption and I have the added benefit of being able to feed myself. Let me know.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 01-23-2024, 04:16 PM

My dad gave me his 1969 (68?) Silvertone archtop, which is hanging on the wall, sounds pretty bad and is rarely played. It’s not worth much monetarily, but of the three (soon to be four) guitars I own, it’s the only one I’d never part with. It’s going to my grandson.
Recording King nickel parlor resonator
Mule steel resonator, #1324
Old 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

The Stew-Mac Strat I assembled in 1988. It’s a one of a kind and therefore priceless.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I was moved by @Goat Mick's post. I can only hope my kids or grandkids will want to keep one of mine when I move on to the here-after. Today, if I could only have one, it would have to be my FS5.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Never say never. I would expect that should I last ten more years, at some point I won't be able to play dreads strung with .013s. I know folks who can't now that are my age.

As it stands there are two. My 2011 SCGC D P/W and my 70 Guild D 35. I've had the Santa Cruz for almost a year now, and the honeymoon continues. My Guild is simply not worth enough to bother, and a guitar I enjoy more the longer I keep it. If dire financial problems should crop up. I'd keep it and not cry too much.

But when I can't play either, all get sold for whatever small guitar that sounds good with light strings and can be played with little pain. That will be either a 20s Martin 00 or smaller, or more likely a SCGC of some sort. I've seen some exquisite Santa Cruz guitars lately, and I should be able to swing a nice one if old Martin prices climb to the stratosphere.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-23-2024, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

My Martin 000-18 Norman Blake would be the one I would keep if I had to let all go but one.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 01-23-2024, 04:30 PM

My J-45. The more I play it the more I love it. So easy to play (after a Taylor style set up).
Old 01-23-2024, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

I have this J40 with a custom neck and bridge giving it a 1 13/16 nut with 2 3/8 spacing and the neck feels fat like the Martin D28S of the sixties.
Im pretty fond of the four leaf clover inlay as this is a one of a kind.
But- its sound is just so, so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7540.jpg (36.8 KB, 197 views)
Old 01-23-2024, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

All of them. In my experience, selling that includes shipping is more headache than I care to be involved in. They're all paid for, I have plenty of space for them and don't need to money that would come from selling them. My response likely doesn't truly answer the OP question, but here we are.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:18 PM

I will never sell my Martin 000-18
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 01-23-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Mine would be my dad's old '59 J-45 that you've all seen me harp on for years and years. When he passed in '79 it came to me and I couldn't even play a chord at the time, but we went through a lot of life and learning together over the years. This pic is from a few years ago playing a songwriter showcase at the Commodore Grill in downtown Nashville, I had just gotten finished playing my song "Scars" that I wrote about that guitar and Dad and the realization that I had taken that guitar somewhere Dad had only dreamed of had just washed over me. Honestly it was all I could do to hold it together at the moment my wife took that pic.
Great story. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
Wow, I was moved by @Goat Mick's post. I can only hope my kids or grandkids will want to keep one of mine when I move on to the here-after.
Same.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD12-20 View Post
... of the guitars in your collection which one would you keep? For me it would be my 1973 Martin D-35. I am the original owner... So which acoustic guitar that you own is the one you would never part with?
Well, I was the original owner of my D-35 bought in mid-1969. Thought I would never part but the time came. It needed an expensive neck reset, I was getting old, and was afraid my wife might donate it when I was gone. So I sold it.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

My tele. So far I haven’t met that perfect workhorse/lifer acoustic. They all seem so easily replaceable.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

If I had to choose one guitar to keep, it would be my Martin 000-28 Authentic. For me, it is truly a "Swiss Army Guitar".
Old 01-23-2024, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Jeez man, I don’t know. I have five acoustics, four of which are more or less two sets of the same two on opposite sides of the country. I have two electrics that are basically two very similar strats, also on opposite ends of the country. I don’t ever plan to sell any of em until and unless I get too old to play em, or enjoy playing them. But plans change so I can’t say I never will sell any of em or any one in particular.

Threads like this make me just a wee bit more than a tad crazy - we’re being asked to predict the future which is one thing none of us can do. When I’ve felt I had too many guitars, I sold the ones I didn’t play much / like much anymore. I never sold one I played a lot and really dug until that situation changed. And such situations have occasionally changed and I ended up selling one I’d never previously thought about selling. Usually because I’d added something I liked more and didn’t play the previous one enough to keep anymore.

So I could say anything here and I’d eventually be wrong. Things change. Maybe I won’t play guitar at all anymore at some point, and then I’d probably sell the lot of em…

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion