The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Just one??

I see, from time to time, people selling a guitar and stating they are trying to "get down to one guitar!!!"....my question is why????...I'm trying to get to 300 guitars...I'll never make it...and couldn't afford it....I don't understand the ONE guitar thing...I love playing different guitars...as a songwriter I think it helps....and we play each one a little different....especially electrics....any way....pick on!!!
Old 05-08-2024, 06:14 PM

Some times certain folks are happy to de-complicate their lives. And you no longer have additional money tied up, seeing how you only ever play one at a time.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:27 PM

I’m with the OP. I don’t have a target number of guitars, but I love and crave the variety I have with an HD-28, 000-15SM, archtop, resonator, 12 string, cedar top OM and a Sel-Mac style guitar.

Each is different - no single guitar can do all that these guitars can. I may add a parlor guitar some day, or something else.

What simplifies my life is minimizing arbitrary rules, obsessive thinking, contradictory thinking, or worrying about what others do or think about what I do.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 05-09-2024, 05:29 AM

I only had one acoustic for well over a decade.

I still only have 2.

Well, and a mandolin. And a round neck. And a square neck. And a banjo.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-09-2024, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

I've owned 100+ guitars over the years...of course not at the same time. That being said I am now down to 1 guitar for the first time in 15 years and it is kind of liberating... It's a road worn beat to hell Taylor Dan Crary that my buddy used to tour with for years. It looks like a mess but sounds like a dream. As good or better than most any guitar I've owned. I think I finally dialed in the fact that I prefer rosewood dreads over anything else. So, I may be adding a rosewood dread 12 string but aside from that I am going to stay put for a while.

1998 Bourgeois Martin Simpson EIR/Adi

Old 05-09-2024, 07:29 AM

While my wife has snagged a Martin 12 string, a mandolin, an autoharp, a standup bass, and a strumstick, her only six string acoustic for going on two decades now has been a 1960 Gibson J200. She pretty much says she has simply found nothing else she has liked better. Then again, these have a bracing unique to that model with more than a few declaring them to be very special instruments.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

For a couple of decades I had one acoustic and 2 electrics. Then in my late 30s I got the first case of GAS and added a bunch of electrics. Then recently, in a second round of GAS, I added a bunch of acoustics as I got close to and then finally reached retirement.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-09-2024, 07:37 AM

“One” is my fantasy, and I admire those that can get down to one trusted guitar. I’ve always been drawn to simplicity in other areas of my life. But for creativity, I find variety to be extremely important, so I don’t think I’ll ever get down to one guitar.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

It’s a matter of space. I barely have room for the two that live with me.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I can sort of see the 1 guitar thing, but I like having a few. Since I got bit by the nylon bug things went like this...

1. Bought a Cordoba C5
2. Wanted a cutaway and something better sounding - bought a Cordoba Fusion 12
3. Wanted an all solid classical - bought a Cordoba C12.
4. Wanted a near silent nylon to practice late at night and do repetitive things - bought a Cordoba Stage Traditional.

Bingo - 4 classicals purchased in less than 2 years.

My steel string activity since 2016

1. Bought a Gibson J-45
2. Bought an Avalon Ard Ri
3. Bought a Guild D-120
4. Bought a Furch Yellow
5. Sold a Larrivee OM-05
6. Sold the Gibson J-45
7. Bought a Pellerin SJ CW
8. Bought a McIlroy A20
9. Sold the Furch Yellow

So now I have 4 classicals with 1, the C5, out of the playing cycle.
With steels I'm sitting with the Avalon, Guild, Martin, McIlroy and Pellerin and if I do play one it's usually the Avalon or Pellerin. Do I need all of these steel strings? No, but I like having them.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-09-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I see, from time to time, people selling a guitar and stating they are trying to "get down to one guitar!!!"....my question is why????...I'm trying to get to 300 guitars...I'll never make it...and couldn't afford it....I don't understand the ONE guitar thing...I love playing different guitars...as a songwriter I think it helps....and we play each one a little different....especially electrics....any way....pick on!!!
Everyone has their own "Style" when it comes to this.

Me? I'm the wrong guy to ask about the "1" Guitar rule.

I have 21 of them.........

I don't have any mandates on the # I must have, or any rules like "one in, one out" If I want one, I buy it. if it's not doing anything for me I sell it.

quite simple really

but -- see my first sentence.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Before I owned 5 guitars, I owned 1, and I was perfectly happy.

With 5 I feel over loaded with guitars and they clutter my house.

I think 3 would be ideal. A steel 6 string, a 12er and nylon.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:04 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I try to not concern myself what what others do/think about things like how many guitars they should own. None of my business, really.

I have a lot, and frankly, more than I need. To play guitar requires exactly one guitar. No more and no less. For many, that is enough, and that's fine with me.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

When people get older they often downsize their homes which requires purging a lot of stuff, excess guitars included! Another dynamic of getting older is material things become less important. On this forum, people have asked if a fire broke out at your house, which guitar would you grab? My answer is none, they are all material things and can be replaced. I presently have 4 guitars and feel fortunate to have them. My guitar room has a pleasant look with all 4 guitars on stands. If I had 10, 20, 30 guitars my house would look like that of a hoarder. To each his/her own, I just don't feel the need.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

I know folks who own just one - a friend who plays a whole lot more than me who plays the D35 I sold to him in 1996. Immaculately well behaved for a Martin, and apart from the repaired "airport" fracture it had from new, it was in very good condition.

I played it from 1975 until 1996.

I don't think he has cleaned it since he bought it and doesn't know what strings are on it, or when last changed. But ... it still sounds louder and fuller than any other D35 I ever encountered.

I have a small house. My better half is very patient with my guitars all over the place. She declared that I can have only as many guitars as I can store cases. I'm plus one at present.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion