The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2021, 05:57 PM

Default GHS Thin Core Medium

What fantastic strings. The feel, the tone, the brilliance, the balance, the price.

When I played electric guitar I was a big fan of Boomers and until the last year or so I had never tried their acoustic line. I’ve now tried Vintage Bronze, Americanas and now these Thin Cores. Whoa nelly I love them and if you have an OF660 they hold up well under neck disassembly as well.

Nice GHS- great strings!
Old 04-01-2021, 08:38 AM

I really like the contact core from them! Very cool string set.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:05 AM

I have read a lot of good reviews about these strings. Has anybody mentioned the tension compared to the "regular" strings or is there a chart available somewhere?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 04-01-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I have read a lot of good reviews about these strings. Has anybody mentioned the tension compared to the "regular" strings or is there a chart available somewhere?
OP here. I wondered the same thing but I don't think GHS has this information anywhere online. They feel great but I'm speaking only of the mediums here, but they feel like somewhere between Sunbeam light and medium (which I also really like).
Old 04-01-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I really like the contact core from them! Very cool string set.
I've heard of them but haven't tried them. What makes them different?
Old 04-01-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
OP here. I wondered the same thing but I don't think GHS has this information anywhere online. They feel great but I'm speaking only of the mediums here, but they feel like somewhere between Sunbeam light and medium (which I also really like).
Yes, I'm just wondering. I tried a set of the Sunbeams mediums and frankly I never noticed the lower tension of the strings that most people champion. I was just put off by the fact that for some reason the low E string "died" very quickly on me.

Has any other string manufacturers come out with similar thin-core or lower-tension strings?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 04-01-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I've heard of them but haven't tried them. What makes them different?
So on the contact core, they are 80/20 (most contact core are PB).

In essence, they start the string winding past the nut, so the core wire of each string is in contact with the bridge.

It makes them very bright, but sustain very well too.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm just wondering. I tried a set of the Sunbeams mediums and frankly I never noticed the lower tension of the strings that most people champion. I was just put off by the fact that for some reason the low E string "died" very quickly on me.

Has any other string manufacturers come out with similar thin-core or lower-tension strings?
Martin Flexible Core and Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension- no others that I'm aware of.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:55 AM

I tested some GHS strings from a company rep on here. I really liked those as well. They make great strings.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

My understanding about the GHS Thin Core strings is this:
GHS makes their general phosphor bronze string with a thicker core wire and a thinner wrap wire. It is one of the things that is different about them than D'Addario, Pearse, Martin and other brands. But, for years they made the Gibson Masterbuilt strings to Gibson's specifications which included a thinner core wire and thicker wrap. After that contractual arrangement ended, GHS decided to offer that string as part of their own line-up. I haven't tried them yet but they are on my radar since I used some Gibson Masterbuilts and got pretty good results from them.

I like the feel and tone of GHS' strings in general and use the PB's, the Vintage Bronze and the Americana's. They also have great customer service.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-01-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
So on the contact core, they are 80/20 (most contact core are PB).

In essence, they start the string winding past the nut, so the core wire of each string is in contact with the bridge.

It makes them very bright, but sustain very well too.
And there is no risk of the wounds unraveling? That is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
My understanding about the GHS Thin Core strings is this:
GHS makes their general phosphor bronze string with a thicker core wire and a thinner wrap wire. It is one of the things that is different about them than D'Addario, Pearse, Martin and other brands. But, for years they made the Gibson Masterbuilt strings to Gibson's specifications which included a thinner core wire and thicker wrap.
I had no idea- so I guess I really like Gibson Masterbuilt strings
Old 04-01-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:

You did not notice the lower tension of the Sunbeams because they are not. Strings wound on a round core do feel more flexible but are not low tension.

Talking abut other low tensions strings I have used Newtone and Optima.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:47 PM

At the moment my 1932 Gibson L1 is strung with GHS thin cores. Yeah, I do like them. Also cheaper than the Newtones I generally use as well as readily available as I can get the GHS thin cores five minutes down the road. For me it is not about sound or feel though as much as survival of the guitar. The L1 even with a truss rod clock in at around 2 3/4 pounds. And the belly is already protruding about as much as I want to see it go.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

I did some research and came up with these:

GHS PhosBronze Thin Core light - 138.2

Martin Retros light - 163.3
Martin Flexible Core light - 164.8
Martin Authentic SP PBronze light 164.8
Martin Authentic SP Bronze light - 160.5

Daddario PhosBronze EJ16 -158.3 (this set based on 25" scale)

I believe Daddario has a calculator that takes into account scale length.
Hope this helps.
jricc

Last edited by jricc; 04-01-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I did some research and came up with these:

GHS PhosBronze Thin Core light - 138.
Thanks for finding this. Where did you find it? I'd like to know the tension on the GHS PhosBronze Thin Core Medium.

I guess I'm one of those weirdos that can hear the transition between wound and plain steel strings. It is annoying to me but I really hear it on carbon fiber guitars. In my hunt for a more balanced transition I've found GHS are some of the best; I don't know why but I certainly do hear it. The Medium Thin Core remind me of what I like about Elixir HD Lights but without that slipperiness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion