The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Can we entertain another "best wood" thread?

I hope you'll indulge me.

After a long search for a nylon string hybrid guitar, I've decided to have one made. This means I have to pick woods. I like the kind of growly, buzzy bass that classical guitars have and my goal is to emphasize that. I'm not sure if my words growly and buzzy convey what I'm trying to say, but hopefully you know what I mean about the way the bass strings on a classical sound different than on a steel string. And, (I think) most classical guitars focus on the treble response and of course I'm, looking to fly in the face of that with more focus on the bass.

I think I'm settled in on Lutz for the top. I was considering Mahogany for the sides and back, but it seems too "warm". Any suggestions?

Oh, one more thing. I prefer figured wood, but I'm not married to it...
Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM

How about movingui? Similar look to mahogany except for the yellow hue, but it's a bit heavier and rings like rosewood.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:01 PM

You need to select a luthier before you decide on wood choices. His input on wood choices will be better than anyone here, he's handled the wood he has in stock.
et al
Old 07-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I hope you'll indulge me.

After a long search for a nylon string hybrid guitar, I've decided to have one made. This means I have to pick woods. I like the kind of growly, buzzy bass that classical guitars have and my goal is to emphasize that. I'm not sure if my words growly and buzzy convey what I'm trying to say, but hopefully you know what I mean about the way the bass strings on a classical sound different than on a steel string. And, (I think) most classical guitars focus on the treble response and of course I'm, looking to fly in the face of that with more focus on the bass.

I think I'm settled in on Lutz for the top. I was considering Mahogany for the sides and back, but it seems too "warm". Any suggestions?

Oh, one more thing. I prefer figured wood, but I'm not married to it...
You're probably describing the rosewood family.

I've never heard mahogany described as "too warm" unless it was against woods like cypress or maple.

I'd suggest cedar over rosewood for a start. Find one in a store, see how you like that and go from there.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
You need to select a luthier before you decide on wood choices. His input on wood choices will be better than anyone here, he's handled the wood he has in stock.
I've done that. He's up for getting wood if he doesn't have it. I will naturally consult him, just looking for various opinions and there's a lot of knowledge here.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:27 PM

When you ask a question like this, you're going to get a range of answers. Some will be from experienced guitar makers, and others will be from people who are just regurgitating buzz words and hype that they've read or heard.

I recommend that, if you have faith in the ability of the builder you've chosen, just communicate directly with him and don't get caught up in trying to choose your tone woods by "committee."

I'm confident that, if you're builder is competent, he's going to have enough experience to know that the topwood is the major sound producing agent, and that, even though each species has a certain sonic properties, there can be a great variance in that species from tree to tree. In fact, certain properties such as cross-grain stiffness can vary within a tree. And your builder should also know which back and side wood will best complement the top to give you the sound that you're seeking.

All that aside, my advice. Just communicate directly with your guitar maker, and don't confuse yourself with a lot of extraneous "noise". And when the project is underway, post some progress photos. It sounds like a fun project.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:04 PM

Your verbalization of the tone you want just won't "read" the same to everyone, so we're not going to be as helpful as you need. Sit with your builder and play some instruments until you both hear the tones you want. That's infinitely better than relying on words. I for one would never describe a classical guitar bass tones as growly. I think of them as open and airy, and very non-powerful... they convey the note but without punch or power, sort of like listening to a Jack Bruce solo... on earbuds. And as for mahogany, I don't think you would find many of us characterizing that wood as "warm" except perhaps when subbed for spruce as a topwood, in which case is does offer fewer overtines and less brightness. But as a body wood, I think it's amazingly lively and assertive -- not warm at all. But that's the trouble with trying to verbalize tone. I hope you and your builder can achieve a good understanding of the sounds you want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair