The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 AM

Edited for Privacy!

Last edited by valvefury; 01-09-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 AM

I think you can make comparisons of the same wood groups. Yes different trees in the same group sound different. Yes two guitars of the same make and materials will probably have some slight differences. But there are some moderate comparisons or expectations of tone we can expect.

I think these questions and discussions are great because it helps everyone develop their ears. You can't do this unless you can discuss things you hear - go back and listen - and then realize some of the things you missed. Describing tones/sounds can be difficult but its still a worthy exercise.

Len
Old 07-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Default Cocobolo v Madagascar Rosewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorDoug View Post
Seeking insights on the tone and differences in Madagascar rosewood and cocobolo when used as back and sides on a Grand Symphony? Thanks.
OK, I own a 2009 Spring Limited 714ce Sitka/Madagascar and a 2008 Fall Limited Sitka/Cocobolo GS. Both guitars have adirondack CJ/CV bracing.

I would definitely say that the Madagascar has a more rich, complex tone. Longer decay. Definitely noticeable lower mid-range as many people have commented. Very good bass response.

The Cocobolo has a much bolder sound. Notes decay more quickly, but they also have more oomph. Bass response is excellent. Overall tone is very balanced, and it's more versatile in my opinion.

The Madagascar has a great sound, but I feel somewhat limited by it in comparison to the sound of the Cocobolo. The Madagascar doesn't sound as good in as many styles of playing as the Cocobolo. However, the Madagascar DOES sound much more rich and complex, and that makes me want to say that it sounds better. However, I don't play it as much as the Cocobolo because the dropped mid-range doesn't lend itself as well to certain styles. But that's just my opinion. And maybe in a year I'll feel differently. It's also the case that the Cocobolo I have is a GS and the Madagascar is a GA, so clearly that makes a difference. I've never played a GA cocobolo, but despite that I feel like I agree with Taylor that the Cocobolo works better as a GS. Really let's the bass shine. My Coco GS has a really solid bassy oomph when I play it, and I really love that. Additionally it's a friggin beautiful guitar. The Mad is super attractive too, but in a more classic styling sense. Let me also mention that I have played the GS version of my Mad GA, and although it had a bigger, deeper sound as you'd expect from the GS, the tonal quality really was identical to my GA, so I think my comparison is still valid. EDIT: here I am just a few weeks later and I realize I was just in a Cocobolo mood then because NOW I'm in a Maddie mood, and that's all I'm playing these days! heheh. Both are great for different reasons.

One thing that I would say to everyone is definitely go with the CJ/CV adirondack bracing. It dramatically enhances the sound of Taylor guitars in my opinion. And I would agree that it's almost a "magical" quality that it adds. It's an additional layer of resonation, for lack of a better description. I feel like the CJ/CV braced guitars really let the sound move around, and you can literally feel it in the way the guitar resonates in your hands while playing it.

Last edited by dougzuck; 07-19-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: epiphany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion