The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
I like to dabble in woodworking and earlier this week, even before I saw this thread, I went to this wood supplier here in Southern Cal for the first time to look at some slabs. It turns out that they supplied the urban ash to Taylor for a previous run of guitars. They actually had a Taylor guitar on display in the showroom and if you page down on the website you can see them detail their partnership with Taylor. I'm thinking that it might be possible that the Urban Iron Bark might be from this outfit and I hope that a quick perusal of this company's website shows that big trees are taken down all the time and I for one am glad that they are repurposed for anything and especially happy that they turn into great guitars.

www.streettreerevival.com

Rob
Yes, this is how I feel about it, as well. Well said!

- Glenn
Old 10-02-2022, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
I like to dabble in woodworking and earlier this week, even before I saw this thread, I went to this wood supplier here in Southern Cal for the first time to look at some slabs. It turns out that they supplied the urban ash to Taylor for a previous run of guitars. They actually had a Taylor guitar on display in the showroom and if you page down on the website you can see them detail their partnership with Taylor. I'm thinking that it might be possible that the Urban Iron Bark might be from this outfit and I hope that a quick perusal of this company's website shows that big trees are taken down all the time and I for one am glad that they are repurposed for anything and especially happy that they turn into great guitars.

www.streettreerevival.com

Rob
Old 05-03-2024, 09:52 PM

Cool dont hear or see posted info

I dont get out alot so I've been waiting to hear/see posts from folks that have actually owned or played an Ironwood . I have not seen any posts. If you could direct me ...thank you.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:28 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkedup View Post
I dont get out alot so I've been waiting to hear/see posts from folks that have actually owned or played an Ironwood . I have not seen any posts. If you could direct me ...thank you.
I briefly owned it and posted my thoughts on it in its own thread here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=654956

I've since deleted the demo video, but you can get a good idea of the tone from the comments posted there.

Bottom line: I gave a try and am not a fan. I'd recommend playing it before committing to a purchase, or buying some a seller/company with a good return policy.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Taylor is nothing if not a juggarnaught of marketing. The city of El Cajon was widening a street and a bunch of Eucalyptus trees had to go. Taylor bought some of the wood and made a few guitars that sounded good, but they decided people would balk at buying Eucalyptus. So they got creative.

Nothing new. Look at all the African wood being called mahogany. Sapelle is being respected more as some boutique builders use it and call it what it is. I don't know why builders can't just call wood what it is. It's commendable to use non threatened wood.

Eucalyptus makes very good firewood, and farmers planted it a lot in the Imperial County of California as windbreaks to keep topsoil from blowing away. Koala bears love it too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-14-2024, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkedup View Post
You really should read this entire thread...the wood in question is IRON BARK, aka RED IRON Bark. It is a member of the eucalyptus family.

Ironwood is not the same thing. "Ironwood" is any number of very hard woods, most of which are NOT related to each other, beyond being...hard...and being wood.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 05-15-2024 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Taylor is nothing if not a juggarnaught of marketing. The city of El Cajon was widening a street and a bunch of Eucalyptus trees had to go. Taylor bought some of the wood and made a few guitars that sounded good, but they decided people would balk at buying Eucalyptus. So they got creative.

Nothing new. Look at all the African wood being called mahogany. Sapelle is being respected more as some boutique builders use it and call it what it is. I don't know why builders can't just call wood what it is. It's commendable to use non threatened wood.

Eucalyptus makes very good firewood, and farmers planted it a lot in the Imperial County of California as windbreaks to keep topsoil from blowing away. Koala bears love it too.
There are 600 species of eucalyptus in Australia...koalas are VERY specific about the species they will eat (and it's not many).
Being generic about "eucalyptus" is as wrong as simply calling something "rosewood" (there are 300 species of rosewood in the world)
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 05-15-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I don't know why builders can't just call wood what it is. It's commendable to use non threatened wood.
It's because many guitar players completely freak out when a guitar is made of the non-trad woods. Also, Iron Wood is not the wood in question here, I don't know why all these people are posting about Ironwood. It's Iron Bark. Not Iron Wood. Iron Wood is not even a wood, it's a catch-all phrase for a gazillion very hard woods. Focus, people, focus.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-15-2024, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Chime in from an Aussie. Ironbark is a name in common usage down here for certain eucalypt trees.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion