The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 05:03 PM

There is a YouTube reviewer of sorts named Ian Meadows - he clearly works in or owns a music store, and his channel has hundreds and hundreds of amazingly consistent demos of every conceivable decent acoustic currently available. There is no talk, it's just Ian and his thousand dollar Shure condenser, playing basically the same chords, licks, and progressions across hundreds and hundreds of different guitars. He is a very good player, but he makes sure he plays in a way that displays the sound of the guitar, not the awesomeness of his chops. I find his every-growing collection of reviews invaluable.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 04-10-2024, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The absolute best review I've seen is the Tony Polecastro from Music Villa some years back (pre Quinton) review of the Esteban Amber Ice guitar. In a gorilla suit no less...a classic!

Thank you for this! I needed a good laugh!
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 04-10-2024, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
There is a YouTube reviewer of sorts named Ian Meadows - he clearly works in or owns a music store, and his channel has hundreds and hundreds of amazingly consistent demos of every conceivable decent acoustic currently available. There is no talk, it's just Ian and his thousand dollar Shure condenser, playing basically the same chords, licks, and progressions across hundreds and hundreds of different guitars. He is a very good player, but he makes sure he plays in a way that displays the sound of the guitar, not the awesomeness of his chops. I find his every-growing collection of reviews invaluable.
Said music store:

https://acousticmusic.org/

However, sometimes these videos can be misleading by omission of commentary due to the style he plays (very lightly, based on my observations). Almost any guitar can sound acceptable if played lightly. For example, how would you rate the tone of this Eastman he is demo-ing here?

Sounds OK right? But based on my own experiences with Eastman OMs (including owning two, an E1OM and E6OM-TC), because they are short scale, they do not sound all that impressive strummed in my opinion, lacking a certain "snap" I like out of guitars of similar size (say if comparing to a Martin OM-18). Furthermore, because Eastman's bracing positioning may be standard or rear-shifted, you don't get a lot of bass out of them either. Therefore, without any commentary about these things, I can imagine some buying Eastmans online unplayed expecting a good alternative to a Martin OM or Taylor GC and then being disappointed. However, obviously it is better to at least have videos than no videos. I'm not saying his videos are not valuable, they are of certain value. But to say they are "invaluable" is hyperbole in my opinion.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I once watched a video where Boucher explained the importance of his red spruce tops, and how, being the biggest Adirondack dealer, he kept the best for his guitars. It was an informative video. Then YouTube loaded a Cormeir video that click baited Martin vs Boucher. It was a D 45 I believe. What was Cormier's first point? Well one was sitka and one was Adi, but that didn't matter much for the comparison. Turned it off there. Have been skipping his videos ever since.

I like to listen to all the great players. That is as far as it goes. I like the personable video guys. First of all it's necessary to keep interest. Music Villa does a great job of, hey, consider buying a guitar from us. Any of them, we really don't care. Whatever they have, the point is to remember Music Villa has a website. You think you will ever sound like Quentin? Dream on. Buy from us, we have almost everything and we are nice folks. That is the message.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-10-2024, 05:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Matt Chulka, Doug Young and Teja Gerken come to mind.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-11-2024, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosphere View Post
Said music store:

https://acousticmusic.org/

However, sometimes these videos can be misleading by omission of commentary due to the style he plays (very lightly, based on my observations). Almost any guitar can sound acceptable if played lightly. For example, how would you rate the tone of this Eastman he is demo-ing here?

Sounds OK right? But based on my own experiences with Eastman OMs (including owning two, an E1OM and E6OM-TC), because they are short scale, they do not sound all that impressive strummed in my opinion, lacking a certain "snap" I like out of guitars of similar size (say if comparing to a Martin OM-18). Furthermore, because Eastman's bracing positioning may be standard or rear-shifted, you don't get a lot of bass out of them either. Therefore, without any commentary about these things, I can imagine some buying Eastmans online unplayed expecting a good alternative to a Martin OM or Taylor GC and then being disappointed. However, obviously it is better to at least have videos than no videos. I'm not saying his videos are not valuable, they are of certain value. But to say they are "invaluable" is hyperbole in my opinion.

I don’t need the reviewer to go through and tell me the specs. I can easily look those up.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
So, this would be like the reviewers who give a positive review to every instrument? Has anyone ever heard a guitar that did not sound great when played by Carl Miner?
Point well taken. He certainly makes every guitar he plays sound its best. But what his beautiful playing and recording system do it let you hear each guitar's unique voice. For those that simply adore fine acoustic guitars in general, like I do, it is wonderful.

Breedlove Revival DR Deluxe 2009, Jayson Bowerman ...(co-designer Preston Thompson)
Santa Cruz Model F, 1998, Richard Hoover
Yamaha LJ36, 2022, Hiroshi Sakurai
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 04-11-2024, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Thank you for this! I needed a good laugh!
Glad I could help!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-13-2024, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I don’t need the reviewer to go through and tell me the specs. I can easily look those up.
Yes, but what I mean is, based solely on the tone you hear in the video, how does the guitar sound to you? Does what you hear in the video reflect how it sounds in your hands?

This is where a reviewer going through specs or providing their commentary is helpful, e.g., on how a short scale OM would sound compared to a standard scale OM.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

The thing I like about Ian Meadows is he plays everything the same way and gives you multiple styles: strummed, lead, finger picked, capos…. You can go back through and listen to any number of guitars that he has demoed and see how the ones you are looking at sound on his vids. The comparsion vids are also good - like D18 vs J-45.

I also enjoy the fact that there is no dialogue to waste time and distract you. There is also no hard or soft sales pitch - just playing.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Reviews / Demos

Matt Chulka, Dream Guitars, Carl Miner definitely.

No love for Larry at Organic Sounds? He's great.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I once watched a video where Boucher explained the importance of his red spruce tops, and how, being the biggest Adirondack dealer, he kept the best for his guitars. It was an informative video. Then YouTube loaded a Cormeir video that click baited Martin vs Boucher. It was a D 45 I believe. What was Cormier's first point? Well one was sitka and one was Adi, but that didn't matter much for the comparison. Turned it off there. Have been skipping his videos ever since.
I read through this a couple times and must still be missing the point. What was it that Cormier did to bother you?

I have seen a few of his videos. He can be very dogmatic which bothers some and sets him apart, but that's one of the things needed to stand out as a YouTuber. He is a really good player but I get bored easily watching anyone playing bluegrass runs on guitar. Nothing against him but I just don't enjoy bluegrass.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:52 PM

I am also surprised at the negative reactions to JP Cormier. I don't find him offensive at all, and I think he is actually rather insightful with regard to value vs. price in the acoustic guitar world.

But the best "guitar reviewer" of all is LowEndLobster. He only does bass guitars so he is probably pretty much unknown on this forum, but he does of nice job of demonstrating the instrument in various playing styles (e.g., fingerstyle, pick, slap) while pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of the instrument. He's even uncovered some outright fraud with regard to specifications (Humbuckergate).
Old 04-14-2024, 07:02 PM

I don't have a favorite because not all of them review the stuff I am looking at (for instance, how many review jumbo guitars, 12 strings, etc....not many)

That said, when I do find a channel, what I really look for is a reference. That means they need to be playing similar riffs, similar chords, similar songs between all their reviews, or at the very least, between the guitars being compared during the same review. This way, I can listen between two guitars and if I have a reference (say Martin D-18 or Gibson J-45) with XYZ as the amplification/recording gear set a specific distance from the sound hole, I can then compare how the guitars I am looking at sound compared to a standard reference.

This is an issue many, but not all YouTube reviewers face, but if you are really trying to help people decide on a guitar, this is the type of video I would be watching. If all you are doing is just listening to a bunch of guitars and not planning on purchasing one, this would get old very quickly.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 04-14-2024, 07:16 PM

If you like Bluegrass music, you will want to watch the reviews from the Chapman Brothers on their Youtube site, The Acoustic Shoppe.
For all other guitar reviews, I like The Acoustic Letter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion