The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Support your local music store.

While this subject has been written about quite a few times I'd thought it might be worth mentioning again during the holiday season.

I started out frequenting my local music store way back in '70 when I bought my first guitar. After a few years I wound up teaching there, making way more than my other friends who were working in nearby factories. It was called 'Bjumark Music,' located in Bay Shore NY and was in business for decades. When the owner moved on the tech wound up starting his own business called 'That Music Store' in Central Islip NY.

I had first hand experience in the caring that goes into developing customer service and relationships and how that creates a win-win for everybody involved. It was that level of personal treatment that kept the place in business long after I 'spread my wings' by traveling and living all over the U.S. We held our own against the 'Big Boys' in the next town because of that personal, one on one service we provided.

Over the last several years I've actually settled down in one location (after having 23 residences over the years!) and frequent the little shop in town. Like the one I worked in years ago they stay in business because of offering that same level of personal, face to face service that is hard to find in this day and age anywhere else. Heck, this Christmas eve I'll actually be home and will make it a point to go to their wing-ding along with my wife.

I know there's many of you who may not have the advantage of having a small, local shop near you. Perhaps you'll have to travel miles just to visit one of the 'chain stores' or need to shop online and that's your only option. I also know that most times your local music store (if you have one) may not have the variety you need when it comes to instruments. That's cool... neither does mine as I like many brands of guitars that they simply cannot carry. I've bought quite a few instruments from some of the sponsors here on the AGF and from other online dealers. However, when it comes to stuff like pedals, mics, stands, various accessories or of the guitars that they DO carry I'll shop with my local guy... every time. I just picked up a dandy Telecaster from them.

So to those of you that do have the option to shop at your local mom and pop store give 'em a bell. For those that don't, well, then develop the best relationship that you can with either the manager of that chain (if that person is there for more than a year or two) or with your online provider who more than likely will be around for a long time. I'd like to add that we have a few AGF sponsors here that provide an excellent service... Maury, Ted and Steve (vintageparlorguitars) come to mind.

Ok.. back to your regular programming.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 12-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 AM

My local store:

http://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/
Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

What a nice sentiment! Thanks and happy holidays, Toby!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
What a nice sentiment! Thanks and happy holidays, Toby!
Another great place to shop at by the way!

Happy Holidays amigo.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM

When my sister sent me an e-mail asking what our family wanted for Christmas, I told her what I thought the other family members would like, and I was just about to tell her, " A gift Certificate to GC would be fine." , but I stopped and inserted " A certificate to DB Music across from the college would be fine. If they have them. " I hope they do.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 PM

My "local store" just happens to be MandoBros; been going there since Stan (and Hap Kuffner) first opened the place, spent many hours (and many dollars) there over the last 35+ years, so I'm in the reverse situation. Sam Ash and GC get the bulk of my business for the run-of-the-mill stuff - strings/picks, cables, stands, mics, amps/stompboxes, and the occasional workhorse/beater instrument; when I'm ready to spend some serious bucks, though, it's Mando every time...
Old 12-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I agree, Toby. I use my local music store as much as possible. I've spent lots of money with these guys over the last 35 years.

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Love it... My nearby stores are pretty cool... Actually I have two of them.

http://www.gelbmusic.com

http://www.gryphonstrings.com

I shop there as much as I can... Gotta keep them in business somehow.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 PM

I really enjoy going to my local store, though I haven't bought a guitar there in a couple of years. The owner seems to tolerate me palming up his selection though.

Seriously, my local dealer is a pretty big Taylor dealer (Empire Music of Mount Lebanon south of Pittsburgh, PA USA) and I've had the pleasure of trying a wide variety of custom shop models as well as some of the seasonal limited editions. Over the years he's had a lot of guitars with sinker redwood tops come in. He seems to do a good business even though I rarely buy more than strings or humidifier stuff.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:57 PM

After running into the inconvenience of buying a guitar online when it came to returns/repairs, I've vowed to only shop local. We're blessed with several good mom-and-pops in the area, including one that sponsors a bluegrass jam inside an indoor flea market every Saturday from 10-noon. They don't have a website, but here are two links to the "big two" in town:

The Fret Mill

Kelley's Music
Old 12-08-2013, 02:11 PM

We have several very local mom-'n'-pop stores, like within a half-hour drive. Selection was not always the best, but it kept on improving. I use past tense here, because I've just learned that one of my very favorites, (Good Stuff Guitar Shop in Martinez, CA) plans to close by the end of January.

I can't buy more instruments (don't even want any), but I'll always need strings, picks, capos, tuners, strings-strings-strings, music and strings, and I make the local rounds first.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Good sentiments, thanks.

I support my local store, in fact the owner and the amp tech are long-time friends of mine independent of the music business and I'm on good terms with the rest of the staff. We spend a lot of time exchanging ideas in the work room at the back of the shop. I get reasonable discounts, but not ridiculous bargains, very good amp and electric guitar servicing/modding, sometimes at very low rates, take home to try on any of the gear, and I could borrow just about any of their small tools for my home projects. I don't buy everything there, but I always check with them first:

http://www.roycemusic.com.au/
Old 12-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
...So to those of you that do have the option to shop at your local mom and pop store give 'em a bell. For those that don't, well, then develop the best relationship that you can with either the manager of that chain (if that person is there for more than a year or two) or with your online provider who more than likely will be around for a long time. I'd like to add that we have a few AGF sponsors here that provide an excellent service... Maury, Ted and Steve (vintageparlorguitars) come to mind.

Ok.. back to your regular programming.
Awesome post Toby!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Thanks for posting. I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

A super nice and intelligent post. I visit Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Ks, just about every Thursday (my day off). I bought my current Taylor from them and will buy my next Taylor from them. I am friendly with most, including the owners. But Eric Mardis and Eric Putmam see me the most as they are down on the sales floor. I usually buy some of their "60 cycle Buzz" coffee, maybe an accessory or two, and am saving up for a 528e. The guys there call me by name, and I am definitely nowhere near the level of accomplishment that they are. But they realize that I love playing, and love coming in. They do a great job of making me, and I assume others, feel valued and important and treated as a friend, also. Great post, Toby

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion