The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Probably sounds strange, but I've taken to sitting on an inflatable exercise ball when practicing. It allows me to keep my feet planted on the floor and shift my weight in whatever way facilitates good posture, an elusive thing but a key consideration in searching for the "best" chair or stool. You can adjust the firmness simply by inflating of deflating. Inexpensive, too.

Fire away.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM

Probably sounds strange, but I've taken to sitting on an inflatable exercise ball when practicing. It allows me to keep my feet planted on the floor and shift my weight in whatever way facilitates good posture, an elusive thing but a key consideration in searching for the "best" chair or stool. You can adjust the firmness simply by inflating of deflating. Inexpensive, too.

Fire away.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 PM

The exercise ball idea sounds interesting, but I heard using one too much can lead to double posts.

Will
Old 05-28-2010, 12:47 AM

I can't find the name or a picture, so this won't be hugely helpful, but I once tried an orange-coloured Stokke dining table seat, which had a minimal width back which I think is important so as not to restruct the movement of the shoulder blades whilst supporting the spine and lumbar region. It also had a degree of reclination, and was extremely comfortable.

Totally excessive as a dining seat, but *perfect* as a guitar-playing seat.

Now that I'm getting more into my guitar, I wanted to buy one - and do you know what? I can't find one anywhere...

I recall they were somewhat expensive but beautifully made, and I am sure they'd be perfect for guitar or any seated activity in which the arms might benefit from positioning behind the plane of the seat back; this is the problem I find when using any conventional seat, as my left elbow tends then to be obstructed by the back of the seat unless I alter my posture from 'ideal' into a leaning forward aspect, which for someone with an occasionally temperamental back is not a good thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:54 AM

Aha... this isn't it but is their current equivalent, which looks like it could be ideal (if a bit pricy at almost £500 per chair, but then it is designer...):

The one I was thinking of I think used to have a swivel base but this one has simple legs, so perhaps not so ideal, but here it is to give you an idea:

Old 05-28-2010, 02:28 AM

^^ modern...
Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Have a Roc-n-soc with back and hydraulics. Like it.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 AM

oh no! was on my way to get a SoundSeat and saw the post (then checked) that they're not taking orders/ out of business (?).

Anyone want to sell me theirs?!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:19 AM
HarleySpirit

After all these threads and views, it appears no one has mentioned the "Pak A Seat" most pedal steel guitar players, including myself, have used over the years. I still have mine and use it for playing my classical guitar at my live gigs these days. These have interior storage compartments and are great for carrying most of your accessories, song books, cords, mikes, strings, effect pedals etc. The legs fold for transporting, making it easy to carry the seat and to set it up. They are just the right playing height for acoustic or classical guitar players as well and are very sturdy. Prices run between $299 to $350 I believe.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:33 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I use one of those inexpensive armless office chairs that you can get at Staples - about 45 bucks

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 AM
HarleySpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I use one of those inexpensive armless office chairs that you can get at Staples - about 45 bucks
You could have saved yourself a few more bucks and bought one of those $10 metal and vinyl folding chairs a Walmart...
Old 06-26-2010, 04:14 AM

As much as I am into comfort and ergonomics when playing, I would think that a good comfortable chair can be had for way less that $200~$300...

I'm in the Walmart clan
Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 AM

These are nice but pretty expensive: http://www.relaxtheback.com/office/s...ice-chair.html
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 AM

I love this one,[/URL] it's too expensive though... I can't afford it..

Last edited by eyar.xx; 06-26-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: wrong grammar
Old 06-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
As much as I am into comfort and ergonomics when playing, I would think that a good comfortable chair can be had for way less that $200~$300...
Hi BFloyd…
You know it really depends on usage and durability for me. I've worn out several quality ''office'' chairs, in the time I’ve owned my SoundSeat.

They just cannot stand up to heavy use. The SoundSeat on the other hand looks and supports me through 3-5 lessons a week (all 90 minutes) a couple of jams, and a 90 minute rehearsal as well and as comfortably as the day I bought it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion