The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 PM

I have a SoundSeat and can't imagine wanting anything else and I don't know how a guitar chair could be any better designed for it's purpose.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Complaining about how uncomfortable the dining chairs were worked! My wife gave me a Roc-N-Soc for Christmas (a bit early). I used it for a couple of days without the back. Then the back came in and that is the ticket for now. The back makes a difference in comfort, especially when playing a heavier solid body. It looks much like the Soundseat. I like it. Maybe next year I'll start complaining about the Roc-N-Soc and tell her about the much more comfortable Soundchair.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 12-24-2009, 05:03 PM

Default Sound Seat Winner!

A few years ago, 13th Fret had a raffle. Twenty bucks for a chance at a Sound Seat. The one with the back on it. I was looking for a guitar stool, but too cheap to buy one. I also wanted to support 13th Fret, so I bought a ticket.

Well, I won. After using it for a few years, I think it is the very best "stool" around. It doubles as an office chair and Flight Sim chair, and it is perfect, since you can't sleep in it. If something were to happen to it, I would buy some more 13th Fret lottery tickets, for sure.

Actually, I like the Sound Seat so much, I would pay the going price for another one! And - the Sound Seat people are very professional and very nice!
Old 12-24-2009, 07:52 PM

For me the "Cadillac" of guitar stools is the dental assistant's stool. It's cushioned like an air shock, the height is easily adjusted with a lever, same with the seat back, and it has a sturdy (also adjustable) ring to prop your feet on. Superbly comfortable. Not cheap though at about $400.

Tom
Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Default A very comfy, and very cheap guitar stool

Been looking for a comfy chair or stool to sit and watch TV and play guitar on (I usually sit on the coffee table, the couch is too soft to play acoustic).

This is what I decided I wanted... a nice short one with well-padded seat, $109 to $139 online, but it take a few weeks to get; a "Roc N Soc" sub-short, only 20" tall:

But I later found online that GC carries several nice stools by Sound Percussion for $99 on sale (reg $150), so I today stopped back in the local GC, and as luck had it, they had two of the tall (29") ones on clearance for $48. Plus I had a $20 gift card they'd just given me, so I took one home for $28 + tax

The taller one on the right:

It was, as I suspected, way too tall for my liking (but would be great for stage performing at that height) so out came the tube cutters, and now it's the same height as the $109 "Roc 'n Soc" in the top pic that I originally wanted.

I love it! VERY comfy seat.

The bottom ring is just high enough to raise one knee to make playing easier, and the seat swivels as well. Very sturdy.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Does Pick-N-Glider Work Well With Music Stand?

As I'm back in the market looking for a good guitar chair, I thought I would give some CPR and revive this old thread and get some new input.

As background, I'm 6'6" and have a very bad low-back condition. I've been using the SoundSeat for a few years and unfortunately for me, it just doesn't provide me with the support I need anymore to play for any length of time. I hate to say this because I know the SoundSeat is a quality product and JR is a great guy who provides top notch customer service.

I'm now looking at maybe getting a Pick-N-Glider with their footstool and wondered if anybody can give me some input on this chair in general, and also some thoughts as to whether this chair will work well when I am reading sheet music from music stand. Tis isn't clear to me as the chair glides back and forth.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input. Oh and I'll be putting my SoundSeat up for sale in the AGF Classified and other venues. It will be a great deal for someone who can pick it up here in the southern California area.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Smile Need of chair

I think u should read this article before buying chair http://www.aeron-chair.org/.. May be It can be helpful for u. after that [Plz give me.....
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Jacob09, Interesting office chair. Without arms it could possibly work, although I would question the upwards side curvature of the seat bottom. It looks like the guitar, especially a jumbo or Lowden F with a rounded lower bout, would be hitting/resting on the upward turned edge.

Do you have any experience with this chair?

Thanks for posting, it does look interesting.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM

My Soundseat is nice, comfortable and sturdy, but it squeaks pretty loudly....
2008 Martin Ditson 111
2000 OM28V
2002 SCGC 00
1969 J-50
2000 Larrivee koa special parlor
Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.samash.com/p/D749%20Music...Rest_-49997657
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 AM

Too bad it seems SoundSeat is no more

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

One of these:

near one of these:

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Yes, cke - that Quik Lok is the one I've used, for several years - very comfortable, not too bad to lug around. My ol' bod, I have to have the comfortable! I really like it...
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM

My wife bought me a chair from Gary Weeks - handmade in Texas from solid, sustainably-harvested wood. It is amazingly comfortable - you have to try it to believe it - and is a beautiful piece of furniture too.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Crust View Post
Too bad it seems SoundSeat is no more
Indeed, but their builder is still with us, so maybe one day... Hard times are temporary, even the hardest.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion