The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM

I play Taks and Love em'. I have owned Gibby and Martin, but for what I do Takamines are the most consistent, dependable guitars out there. The Bluegrass models certainly do compete with Martin and Taylor.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 02-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Love mine. I love the mellow tone unplugged. Don't have an amp so I have no idear how it sounds plugged in. Bought it from a forum member. He had it set up right. It's very very easy to play. Did I mention I love the mellow tone?

Frog Level FL18
Yamamoto Y-OM
Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebill View Post
Yeah, and it drives me nuts that yahoos like toby keith and his "I love American" attidude doesn't even bother to buy and play an American made guitar.

It's hypocritical beyond belief.

Takamine has built some fine guitars, but some of the people who play them leave me cold.

Bill
AMEN TO THAT. Hypocritical for sure. I've never played one that I liked the sound of unplugged, but plugged in, hugely popular.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Their a good bang for the buck guitar -their electronics for Acoustic/Electrics are one of the better imports for sound - But like all guitars some models are better than others .
Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM

I have a low end model and it sounds beautiful to me!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezebox View Post
????????

JAPANESE MADE Tak EAN40C owner here...sounds GREAT unplugged as well as plugged in.....very fun / easy to play

I've played lots of Martin's and Taylor's that have really underwhelmed me by the way

Gotta go with Squeezebox on this one - I have the same guitar and it sounds awesome unplugged (maybe we got lucky). Easiest playing acoustic I've ever touched. I'm not saying that they are right up there with the Taylor / Martins, but the Japanese Taks do not get the respect they deserve.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 AM

Default I've reconsidered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezebox View Post
????????

JAPANESE MADE Tak EAN40C owner here...sounds GREAT unplugged as well as plugged in.....very fun / easy to play

I've played lots of Martin's and Taylor's that have really underwhelmed me by the way
Ya' know, you guys are right. (Maybe it was a fit of nationalism?) I played a friend's Takamine yesterday and was reminded how nice it was. On the other hand, I remember playing a low-end Martin that sounded like it was made out of cardboard.

I stand corrected.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 AM

I have a 370S that I purchased new in 1975. It was my only acoustic for 20 years, until I retired it in 1995. It was quite a workhorse...got me through junior high school, high school, college, to my early 30's until my wonderful wife gave me a Taylor 912C in 1995.

The 70's Takamine guitars were nice guitars and mine is still very playable today although it could probably use a neck reset.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Default cool new fingerstyle TAK

I am interested in trying the new fingerstyle model they brought out at winter NAMM. Elderly is not going to have it until March though. It looks awesome!

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=news&art=1099
Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 AM

Yo all, first post here. Been stalking around for quite some time already lol.

Takamine EG 5303SC

What do you guys think of it? Saw this while scouting and i was like, love at first sight with it? lol. Try it and it sounded quite good.

Last edited by JweiH; 02-28-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 AM

I have two Taks. One is a "lawsuit" copy of a D28. I bought it NOS 28 years ago and it is still my main acoustic guitar. I also have fancy-schmancy red spalted maple cutaway model that I plug in for playing on stage. Love 'em both.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM

My alll solid wood Takamine EF360SBG sounds every bit as good as any of my Taylors or any Martin. It was half the price too.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 PM

I bought two models SH...an EF341C and an EF381C. Both are black lacquer finished, well made, and easy on the eyes.

I just started having problems with the under bridge pup in the 341, but for what I payed for them, they play and sound great and were a heck of a buy.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbluguitar View Post
I used a Tak EF341S for a year. It sound good through the house with a nice even "piano" tone, but unplugged it was a pooch... I bought a Blueridge at 1/2 the price and it sounds about 3x as good unplugged. Go figure. I even installed my own pickup system (K&K pure mini ultra with preamp) and now it sounds better than the Tak plugged and unplugged, and it cost about seven hundred total where the tak cost one thousand. I have never disliked Taks, but I have never really played one that left me exited either.
Exactly my experience. After seeing Bruce Springsteen and liking his acoustic tone onstage I bought a couple of used Tak 341s guitars and used them as my stage guitars for about a year. I liked them at first but just got tired of the sound both acoustically and electrically. That piezo quack...

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 PM

What makes a discussion about Takamines difficult is that relatively few of us seem to have access to their higher end all-solid wood models. Of course, they are going to lose if you compare their laminated instruments with fancy Martins and Taylors. So, I think it would be interesting to hear how a Tak TNV360 (solid bearclaw spruce, solid rosewood b/s dread) compared with an 810, a J-45 Custom, or a D-28.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion