The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Default What do you think of Takamine guitars?

My friend who is a music store dealer just started carrying the Takamine line, but has a limited inventory at this time. Who has one and how do they stack up to Taylors, Martins, & Larrivees? Just wondering?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Well, the Nashville crowd seems to like 'em. Great for plug 'n play. Probably decent for the money.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 05-10-2006, 03:33 PM

I owned an EAN45c (solid rosewood and cedar). I really thought it was a good guitar. The EAN and "Natural" series are supposed to compete with the Taylor/Martin crowd. Thugh they don't quite hit the mark they are pretty darned good for the money. I almost wish I hadn't sold mine and just kept it.

The Nashville gang sure does like them. They are very good amplified and are extremely consistent sounding and easy to EQ through the PA.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 05-10-2006, 05:28 PM

Professional performers tend to like them because their amplified sound is good and they are comparatively cheap to replace when they get smashed by the airlines. Lots of travelling professionals simply don't tour with expensive guitars because damage risks are too high, and amplification eliminates the nuances of expensive "tone-king" guitars. Taks do well for what they do.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Professional performers tend to like them because their amplified sound is good and they are comparatively cheap to replace when they get smashed by the airlines. Lots of travelling professionals simply don't tour with expensive guitars because damage risks are too high, and amplification eliminates the nuances of expensive "tone-king" guitars. Taks do well for what they do.

Yeah, and it drives me nuts that yahoos like toby keith and his "I love American" attidude doesn't even bother to buy and play an American made guitar.

It's hypocritical beyond belief.

Takamine has built some fine guitars, but some of the people who play them leave me cold.

Bill
Old 05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi Blaster...
Medium quality guitars with great pickup systems. Don't sound that great in the room, sound awesome through PA systems.

Action can be set to play well, and if you damage one, it can be replaced in a day or two.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Definitely great plug and play guitars. I own two right now and I've found them to be a great value for the money. They aren't in a league with expensive Taylors, etc unplugged, but truthfully they don't sound all that bad either. The electronics are very user friendly also.

They have come out with what they call the Nashville Series, which are supposed to be as close to hand built as you can get from a factory, and I'd love to play one, but they are really hard to find.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 PM

i used a classical tak from 79 to 93, the preamp brokes, it had great electronics.
yes it was a good guitar for the tours and the planes, i traveled a lot with this strong guitar!!
kabalan
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 AM

I saw some of the prices of the "cool tube" Taks and man, they are pretty pricey. I like the Supra Natural series, but would like to compare them with a Taylor, Larrivee or Martin.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:07 PM

I have an EAN30c. It is a very good guitar. Extremely well constructed, excellent intonation, good tone, easy to play. Probably not as good an acoustic tone as my 714 but is a smaller body guitar so I am not sure the comparison is fair. Amplified it is very good. The built in preamp is not at all fussy about the signal chain and is very stable and reliable.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:06 PM

I used a Tak EF341S for a year. It sound good through the house with a nice even "piano" tone, but unplugged it was a pooch... I bought a Blueridge at 1/2 the price and it sounds about 3x as good unplugged. Go figure. I even installed my own pickup system (K&K pure mini ultra with preamp) and now it sounds better than the Tak plugged and unplugged, and it cost about seven hundred total where the tak cost one thousand. I have never disliked Taks, but I have never really played one that left me exited either.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:10 PM

I used a Tak 12 string cutaway for a few years in the early 90's and loved it. I then bought a used Larrivee 12 and, well, who needs 2 12 strings? The Tak was in mint shape when I sold it - I hope the person who bought it treated her well!

Joe
Old 05-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbluguitar
I used a Tak EF341S for a year. It sound good through the house with a nice even "piano" tone, but unplugged it was a pooch... I bought a Blueridge at 1/2 the price and it sounds about 3x as good unplugged. Go figure. I even installed my own pickup system (K&K pure mini ultra with preamp) and now it sounds better than the Tak plugged and unplugged, and it cost about seven hundred total where the tak cost one thousand. I have never disliked Taks, but I have never really played one that left me exited either.
I have a EG10c (which is almost exactly like what Pete Townsend played) w/ a cedar top/ no dot inlays, that is an excellent sounding git., both plugged & unplugged. I think I paid $400 for it. It's my #1 acoustic.
BTW- FWIW- it's also the acoustic choice of Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 05-12-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkydude50
I have a EG10c (which is almost exactly like what Pete Townsend played) w/ a cedar top/ no dot inlays, that is an excellent sounding git., both plugged & unplugged. I think I paid $400 for it. It's my #1 acoustic.
Yeah but I gotta ask, looking at your stable of guitars, have you played anything solid wood? There is a big difference in sound. I have had my share of Alvarez, Ibanez, Tak, and Yamaha laminantes, all of which I considered good sounding, until I played a real (solid wood) acoustic guitar. I never had considered any guitar over $400 bucks because I just didn't have the funds, so I never tried them. But then my friend had me play his 37 year old guild and WHOA!!! Since then I have tried not to be guitar snob, but honestly, The lower end Taks just don't have any real tone to speak of. I remember distinctively thinking about how BIG the 341 was and yet amazingly... IT HAD NO BASS AT ALL!!! How can a guitar that is bigger than my mini van have no bass? I am not trying to sound condecending, I am just suggesting that you should go somewhere quite, and try a couple of solid wood guitars and then play your Tak. Listen for differences, and I think that you will find that the Tak is missing something. I am not saying that Tak doesn't make some great guitars, but those guitars cost as much as the Martins and Taylors, so the novelty weares off.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:26 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbluguitar
...until I played a real (solid wood) acoustic guitar.
a non-solid wood guitar is not real? wow. learn something new every day. (shrugs)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion