The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 09:55 PM

Default Such thing as Adjustrite chair with flip up arms?

Hi, all.

Anyone know if there is such thing as something like the Adjustrite Musician’s Chair but with arms that flip up out of the way? I practice at a desk where sometimes I also do some work at a computer. I’d like to be able to flip the arms down for working at the computer but then back up for when I practice.

The Adjustrite chair gets tons of favorable reviews, but it wouldn’t work well for work stuff.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 03-22-2024, 08:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwallace1966 View Post
Hi, all.

Anyone know if there is such thing as something like the Adjustrite Musician’s Chair but with arms that flip up out of the way? I practice at a desk where sometimes I also do some work at a computer. I’d like to be able to flip the arms down for working at the computer but then back up for when I practice.

The Adjustrite chair gets tons of favorable reviews, but it wouldn’t work well for work stuff.

Thanks!

Mark
Hello Mark,
Your mileage may vary, but here's the one I picked up on Amazon that has all typical office chair features AND flip-up arms:

https://a.co/d/gtPczIE

It's a lot of chair for the money, but the 'leatherette' covering is not very durable, so I bought a stretch cover that I can throw in the wash every so often.

Happy hunting!

HE
Old 03-22-2024, 08:30 AM

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Mark
Old 03-22-2024, 09:53 AM

I have been using a gaming chair from Office Depot. All the adjustments and the arms flip up. I find it very comfortable, especially when I get over them “lean forward blues” when playing.
See them on sale for $99.99 (regular price is $200) but after having one I would pay retail…..

Kick back, relax, play music….
Old 03-22-2024, 01:12 PM

A gaming chair is best for both guitar and office. Mine is from Office Depot, was reasonable in price, very comfortable and works great with both uses.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 03-22-2024, 01:16 PM

Yeah....I'm trying to get something a little more attractive than a gaming chair if I can, since my practice area is in one of my nicer rooms.

I actually already have an office/gaming chair in there, but I'm not happy with it because of (1) its office/techie look and (2) the way that the seat has a hump at the front part of it, keeping me from comfortably sitting there.

Mark
Old 03-23-2024, 12:15 PM

https://www.amazon.com/stores/FelixK..._brandLogo_sto

I bought a Felixking.

The arm rests move up completely out of the way for guitar playing and you can adjuat the seat hight, various angles, etc.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I bought a office chair with flip up arms from Amazon but I found the arms when folded up were still a bit in the way. I took the RH arm off and was able to modify the stops with my Dremel and a cut off wheel so the arm folded right up out of the way. The left arm isn't in the way even when it's down.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I just got this one from Amazon. The arms flip back out of the way and it has 3 heights. It works well for me for the same reasons you state with working/practicing at my computer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CG6V2XGS...t_details&th=1
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 03-28-2024, 03:51 PM

I ended up sucking it up and getting something with NO arms, on the grounds that my guitar comfort is more than my desk work comfort in that situation. I'm never working at the desk for long, since really the tech is just there for music purposes.

The way I see it, the less comfortable I am working at the desk, the more I'll play/practice.

Got a Roc-N-Soc throne.

Thanks to all for your input!

Mark
Old 03-28-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwallace1966 View Post
I ended up sucking it up and getting something with NO arms, on the grounds that my guitar comfort is more than my desk work comfort in that situation. I'm never working at the desk for long, since really the tech is just there for music purposes.

The way I see it, the less comfortable I am working at the desk, the more I'll play/practice.

Got a Roc-N-Soc throne.

Thanks to all for your input!

Mark
Hi Mark,
Please review after you have a chance for the new car smell to wear off.

I did the exact same thing, opting to try the Roc-N-Soc throne with a back rest. I could never really say it was comfortable, so moved it on. I most often play on a Mitylite Flex One and have posted about my experience often here on AGF.

I know that there are some very satisfied users of the RNS, it just wasn't a good fit for me.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Mark,
Please review after you have a chance for the new car smell to wear off.
I'm not too good about that, but I'll try to remember.

It was between the RNS or the Adjustrite chair. Ultimately I went RNS because (1) it does get really favorable reviews, (2) though some people don't, I wanted something that could swivel so that I could easily turn away from the desk to play something, and also my music books are on a shelf behind me, and (3) I get to sit on a throne.

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion