The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:25 PM

What is an example of NON commercial use ? If I build myself a desk and put Brazilian Rosewood on it, I've had in the attic for 20 years ?

But, if I get tired of it some day and try to sell it on eBay, I'm in trouble with the Feds ?

What about old guitars in Music store inventory ? Unless they can document the serial number being from a given year, the instrument is not sellable ?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
What is an example of NON commercial use ?
1. If I build myself a desk and put Brazilian Rosewood on it, I've had in the attic for 20 years ?

2. But, if I get tired of it some day and try to sell it on eBay, I'm in trouble with the Feds ?

3. What about old guitars in Music store inventory ? Unless they can document the serial number being from a given year, the instrument is not sellable ?
1. No problem
2. If you're selling it over state lines, and the interpretation of Brazilian goes the way of ivory, you're toast.
3. Lots of old parlor guitars are going to be un-sellable. Name brands with tracking records via serial number, not so much - yet.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 PM

I have a tortoise shell pick that I will continue to use and enjoy. There is no substitute in playability or sound. Likewise there is no substitute for Braz. I wish I had money to buy one now.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
What happens to BRW guitars once confiscated? Are they released back to their owners after paying a fine?
The agents sit on the banks of the Mississippi, playing bluegrass and drinking whiskey.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I can't help but think that this won't have much impact on guitar players unless they're dealers. I can't see that any governmental agency has any interest in prohibiting people who own guitars sporting Brazilian rosewood from enjoying them. Likewise, sales that clearly involve instruments that predate the laws or that are from sources known to have complied with the laws seem unlikely to draw the attention of enforcement agencies. On the other hand, new instruments sold publicly that have Brazilian components of recent origin without documentation, or people dealing with substantial quantities of raw wood may well receive such scrutiny.

Obviously, none of us know exactly what will happen but I would be surprised if individuals who aren't contributing in any way to the illegal trafficking of banned goods will be targeted by law enforcement. Thus far, as I understand it, border agents haven't been unreasonable (there may be individual exceptions) about confiscations, even when they technically could have done so under the law. It's scary, to be sure, when a law permits what we would all agree are unwarranted confiscations, even if the actual confiscations don't occur.
Buying Brazilian Rosewood, without the supporting paperwork, is essentially pretending it wasn't poached in violation of the law. Sorry, but buying Brazilian and not also getting the CITES import documentation is the same as buying Brazilian that was poached. The mere fact we didn't put guts behind the ban with this type of enforcement from the beginning essentially made CITES nothing more than a nice gesture. And with that cover -- people exploited the mystique of banned and exotic for healthy profits and drove even more illegal poaching.

Now, it's for real. And the market is about to find out whose stashes were obtained pre ban, and whose were not. Any guesses?

Brazilian with import documentation or in a guitar produced by a company that can document the supply chain because they have done it right for years ------ just got a whole lot more valuable. The stuff that was obtained on the grey market - you know, the stuff we all like to pretend didn't violate the treaty---
Worthless. And it's about time.

max

Last edited by mjz; 05-28-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Humanist

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
Buying Brazilian Rosewood, without the supporting paperwork, is essentially pretending it wasn't poached in violation of the law. Sorry, but buying Brazilian and not also getting the CITES import documentation is the same as buying Brazilian that was poached. The mere fact we didn't put guts behind the ban with this type of enforcement from the beginning essentially made CITES nothing more than a nice gesture. And with that cover -- people exploited the mystique of banned and exotic for healthy profits and drove even more illegal poaching.

Now, it's for real. And the market is about to find out whose stashes were obtained pre ban, and whose were not. Any guesses?

Brazilian with import documentation or in a guitar produced by a company that can document the supply chain because they have done it right for years ------ just got a whole lot more valuable. The stuff that was obtained on the grey market - you know, the stuff we all like to pretend didn't violate the treaty---
Worthless. And it's about time.

max

I don't think you understand that the woods that most small builders have stockpiled (small caches, mostly) are materials that have been in the U.S. for decades...prior to *any* of this legislation.

Your opinion here is based on a number of incorrect assumptions, unfortunately.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-28-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I have a tortoise shell pick that I will continue to use and enjoy. There is no substitute in playability or sound. Likewise there is no substitute for Braz. I wish I had money to buy one now.

There are superior substitutes. And you almost certainly do not have a real tortoise shell pick, although it is a remote possibility. See http://www.fender.com/news/all-about-tortoiseshell/
Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post

There are superior substitutes. And you almost certainly do not have a real tortoise shell pick, although it is a remote possibility. See http://www.fender.com/news/all-about-tortoiseshell/
Why on earth would you make that remark? There are many of us who have been playing a long time and have real tortoise shell picks. I'm not quite sure why you would immediately assume otherwise.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
2. If you're selling it over state lines, and the interpretation of Brazilian goes the way of ivory, you're toast.
So I can sell it within my state all I want ? I figured that selling is selling. If that was not the case, then guitar stores can sell all they want, in person and just get the walk in customer to show they live in the same state. You could ebay all you want but say <insert state> residents only bid.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Why on earth would you make that remark? There are many of us who have been playing a long time and have real tortoise shell picks. I'm not quite sure why you would immediately assume otherwise.
I know why...
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I'm guessing you really believe there are a lot of tortoise shell picks around and that you have one or several, and that you believe they are somehow superior. In fact, there are very few picks made out of "tortoise shell" (actually, severely endangered sea turtles) compared to the number of picks that were sold as such but that were made of other materials, usually synthetic but sometimes from other animal sources.

It's very unlikely you have one let alone several, and they are not easily replaceable. See the Fender article. Most people who think they have genuine tortoise shell picks actually do not.

In any case, sea turtles, from which tortoise shell picks are made, are extremely endangered. If you really are trying to find endangered sea turtle guitar picks of recent manufacture, find a substitute.

In fact, you've probably already found one because what you have is very unlikely to be genuine sea turtle "tortoise shell." But if you do, it's time to trade them in for something else. Sea turtles are best utilized when swimming live in the sea. You don't need them for guitar picks.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing you really believe there are a lot of tortoise shell picks around and that you have one or several, and that you believe they are somehow superior. In fact, there are very few picks made out of "tortoise shell" (actually, severely endangered sea turtles) compared to the number of picks that were sold as such but that were made of other materials, usually synthetic but sometimes from other animal sources.

It's very unlikely you have one let alone several, and they are not easily replaceable. See the Fender article. Most people who think they have genuine tortoise shell picks actually do not.

In any case, sea turtles, from which tortoise shell picks are made, are extremely endangered. If you really are trying to find endangered sea turtle guitar picks of recent manufacture, find a substitute.

In fact, you've probably already found one because what you have is very unlikely to be genuine sea turtle "tortoise shell." But if you do, it's time to trade them in for something else. Sea turtles are best utilized when swimming live in the sea. You don't need them for guitar picks.
It's simple enough to test and most who seek them out to buy know how to test them.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Sea turtles are best utilized when swimming live in the sea.
How are they being utilized in that situation?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

This is all very confusing to buyers and sellers alike.

There so many guitars out there in the U.S. with Brazilian headstocks, bridges and fingerboards....let alone the back and sides.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion