The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ept View Post
Got myself an 2012 LLX6A about two weeks ago. Went to check out LL6 that was a bit of a stretch for my planned budget and walked out from the store with the black LLX instead

--
PeTe
Nice this looks awesome!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 PM

Well, I'm a member of the Yamaha owners club now. I just bought the L20A. It has some cosmetic issues like nicks and dings and the back of the neck is slightly worn where he apparently never played anything but cowboy chords.

But the action is pure, the frets are good and structurally it seems OK. I don't actually have it yet to post a photo as I left it there to install an LR Baggs Active Element pickup. Should have it in a week.

I admit I don't care so much what it looks like. I got it for open mics and if if gets another ding I won't care.

Oh, I don't know if this is a good deal or not I got it for $450. Seems like as good a guitar as a Martin D-28 so I'm happy with the deal,

Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
Well, I'm a member of the Yamaha owners club now. I just bought the L20A. It has some cosmetic issues like nicks and dings and the back of the neck is slightly worn where he apparently never played anything but cowboy chords.

But the action is pure, the frets are good and structurally it seems OK. I don't actually have it yet to post a photo as I left it there to install an LR Baggs Active Element pickup. Should have it in a week.

I admit I don't care so much what it looks like. I got it for open mics and if if gets another ding I won't care.

Oh, I don't know if this is a good deal or not I got it for $450. Seems like as good a guitar as a Martin D-28 so I'm happy with the deal,

It's a great deal on a rare guitar! As far as the looks go, as Dick Lurie once said, "What are you going to do, look at it or play it?"

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 05-17-2014, 06:56 AM

Thanks Yamayairi. I got a laugh out of that quote. My only concern is the element pickup. I own several McPhersons with this pickup and I seas surprised to learn that is all it is.

I was leaning towards the LR Baggs Anthem system with dual sources but my dealer said I'm better off with just the Element as it won't damp the soundboard.

We'll see. Can't wait to try it with strings from after the turn of the century.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:06 PM

Well I picked up my L20A today. Mixed feelings.

At the store I tried it out with the new Element system. I was great. Action wonderful. Tone great. Very happy.

I get home and NOW I notice several cracks in the back. I don't know if there were there all along or what. The dust was thinck on this thing when I first looked at it. And I don't know if they will get worse or what.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:

At the store I tried it out with the new Element system. I was great. Action wonderful. Tone great. Very happy.

I get home and NOW I notice several cracks in the back. I don't know if there were there all along or what. The dust was thinck on this thing when I first looked at it. And I don't know if they will get worse or what.

Are the cracks wide enough to stick a piece of paper in them?

My website:

Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Great guitars!

OK. Count me in.

Here is the front of my Yamaha LLX6:

And the back:

It is a very, very nice guitar. If I didn't own a couple of Larrivee's and a high end Takamine, it would be the best guitar in my collection. As it is, it's still one of the best sounding guitars, when it comes to plugged in tone. (Acoustically, it loses out to the solid wood guitars.) Still, a perfectly respectable instrument with a very versatile sound.

Some originals:
http://www.reverbnation.com/braduebinger
Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
Are the cracks wide enough to stick a piece of paper in them?
No. I just tried and there isn't a gap. Is that OK then? I don't care about the looks just structurally sound for the next 10 years of abuse and gigs.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:

I'm starting to wonder if my next acoustic will have laminated sides and back. Then I'll only have to worry about the top cracking.

I would say that a real good acoustic luthier could do something to stabilize those cracks and enable you to keep the guitar in decent playing condition for quite some time to come. I wouldn't just ignore it though - and that is because I don't know enough about the subject to make a recommendation.

It probably would benefit from being in a case with a humidifier when not being played. It sounds like it has gotten quite dried out, possibly causing the cracks.

Acoustics need a lot more care than I think the average guitarist realizes. You don't just leave it in the corner and kick around with it; at least not a real decent all solid wood acoustic. They are not the epitome of rugged, durable, all weather endurance. They require a lot of diligent care and attention.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:19 AM

I assume since I just got it back from a very good luthier who installed the I Beam that if the cracks were structural he would have mentioned it. But I will have some other folks glance at it.

And living in Arizona I am intimately familiar with the needs of humidification for acoustic guitars. Electrics too. If you let the electrics dry out too much the fretboard shrinks a bit and you get fret sprout. Outside it is 30% humidity. Inside with the AC running it is 20%.

If you search you'll notice I have 3 guitars for sale. And 2 more at the local guitar shop. The reason is I am tired of maintaining them and worrying about them. I'd rather have the money and let them go to someone who will play them and maintenance isn't a chore. Sure I'll keep at least 3 acoustics. The Yamaha for taking out and not worrying about dings, the Composite Acoustic same thing, and the McPherson brazilian/sitka for amazing tone wearing gym clothes without zippers and never leaving my studio
Old 05-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I assume since I just got it back from a very good luthier who installed the I Beam that if the cracks were structural he would have mentioned it. But I will have some other folks glance at it.

I would take it to someone especially good at acoustics.

I would also keep a very close eye on those cracks; no telling where they might lead. They are probably just very slow cracks and the guitar is possibly mostly stable.

The top being an important part of the structure of the guitar, I would keep an eye on them and see if they can be inexpensively stabilized.

Anyway it sounds like a nice guitar.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
No. I just tried and there isn't a gap. Is that OK then? I don't care about the looks just structurally sound for the next 10 years of abuse and gigs.
It's probably just in the finish but have it looked at just in case. If it's in the finish you can seal it with laquer or some Super Glue.

My website:

Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 AM

I need to have an upper strap lock installed anyway so I'll take it in to see. I only wish I'd checked more carefully before I bought to know if the cracks occurred during installation of the I Beam.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 AM

I am always impressed with the sound that I get from my L20A.
For a guitar that is over 30 years old, it is holding together very well.
The only structural problem that I have had with mine was the bridge lifted a few years after I got the guitar. I wasn't humidifying it at the time and here in Utah, the humidity seldom gets over 25%.

A small area of the binding also pulled away from the body but it was an easy fix with some heat and super glue.

The L20A listed new for $1,000.00 back in 1981. I have been offered $800.00 but declined the offer. I can't think of a guitar that I could replace it with for that kind of money.

My L20A is my travel/camp guitar.
It shows the years of play in some harsh conditions but it has held up to everything that I have put it through.
It's a great work horse, and very nice looking.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I am always impressed with the sound that I get from my L20A.
For a guitar that is over 30 years old, it is holding together very well.
The only structural problem that I have had with mine was the bridge lifted a few years after I got the guitar. I wasn't humidifying it at the time and here in Utah, the humidity seldom gets over 25%.

A small area of the binding also pulled away from the body but it was an easy fix with some heat and super glue.

The L20A listed new for $1,000.00 back in 1981. I have been offered $800.00 but declined the offer. I can't think of a guitar that I could replace it with for that kind of money.

My L20A is my travel/camp guitar.
It shows the years of play in some harsh conditions but it has held up to everything that I have put it through.
It's a great work horse, and very nice looking.
I love a happy ending.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion