The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:23 PM

Hi all,

I know I'm opening an old thread but I must, I must

I have several wonderful guitars but want to play out a bit more and don't want to take a brazilian RW McPherson to an open mic. Heck, I wear gym clothes with no metal when I play it at home. So I'm keeping my eyes open for something reasonably priced and sounds and plays nice.

I think I spotted it. It is a Yamaha L20A. Per looking inside it is made in Taiwan. is this the all RW/spruce guitar? This one has been around the block and hardly pristine. But even with old strings and covered in dust it sounded pretty nice and the neck felt good to me. Action was excellent. I'd have to cut her open and add some electronics but other wise she is good to go.

I'd just like to know if there is a different version made in Japan of solid wood and this one is not solid. I am also curious a ballpark price for one of these. It has some nicks and marks and the back of the neck as a worn spot where someone played it a lot.

Thanks all.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 PM

You can check specs at Yamahas guitar archive. They list the L20a as solid spruce top, and solid 3 piece back of Indian Rosewood/Jacarannda.
I have a Yamaha LL500, and it is a great guitar. You won't regret picking up the L20.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Thanks 247hoopsfan. Any idea what these would go for? It certainly isn't pristine with several scratches and a worn spot on the neck.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 PM

I just bought and returned a 2014 LL16, rosewood. I loved the tone and it was a beautiful guitar but after sitting with the guitar for a while I found the LL body to be too big for me.

I returned it, played a bunch of Taylors and Martins and realized that I preferred the tone of the Yamaha.

So I've decided to order and LS16 in the next week or so.

I'll post an update once I get it.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
You can check specs at Yamahas guitar archive. They list the L20a as solid spruce top, and solid 3 piece back of Indian Rosewood/Jacarannda.
I have a Yamaha LL500, and it is a great guitar. You won't regret picking up the L20.
Indeed. They are great instruments.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Default Yamaha L Series Club

Pretty sure there is only one kind of L20-A, made in Taiwan, all solid woods. Based on seeing a few L15A, L20A and L25A on eBay thru the years, I would expect a slightly beat up L20A with original hard case to sell for about $850.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Yamaha LS6 from 2008 and a LL - 5 12 string built in 1985. Solid sitka top with beautiful silking and solid mahogany back w/laminated mahogany sides. Neck will most likly need a reset in the next few years but for now it plays and sounds very sweet. I think I may even spring for the reset it sounds that good.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 PM

Default Yamaha L Series Club

I have an LL-5-12 also. Love it.
Also beautiful silking and may need neck reset down the road. I've been keeping it tuned down a whole step usually.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammieplaya View Post
Pretty sure there is only one kind of L20-A, made in Taiwan, all solid woods. Based on seeing a few L15A, L20A and L25A on eBay thru the years, I would expect a slightly beat up L20A with original hard case to sell for about $850.
Wow. Been given a ballpark price of around $500. Might take a shot at it then. Any other price guides people?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 PM

Well since this thread was revived again:

Here's my 2012 LL16 that I did some mods to:

Made a bone nut
Installed Sta-tites
Colosi Saddle
Buffalo Horn bridge pins
Ebony end pin
Removed pickguard
Polished headstock to semi-gloss from matte

Couldn't be happier with it. I really want to try some older L-Series models.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
I just bought and returned a 2014 LL16, rosewood. I loved the tone and it was a beautiful guitar but after sitting with the guitar for a while I found the LL body to be too big for me.

I returned it, played a bunch of Taylors and Martins and realized that I preferred the tone of the Yamaha.

So I've decided to order and LS16 in the next week or so.

I'll post an update once I get it.
I was wondering how that worked out for you. Sorry that the LL16 wasn't working for you, but encouraged that you're trying the LS16. I'll be even more curious what you think about this one.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaro Ariño View Post
Well since this thread was revived again:

Here's my 2012 LL16 that I did some mods to:

Made a bone nut
Installed Sta-tites
Colosi Saddle
Buffalo Horn bridge pins
Ebony end pin

Removed pickguard
Polished headstock to semi-gloss from matte

Couldn't be happier with it. I really want to try some older L-Series models.
Wow, that looks nice. Do the mods make that much of a difference to the tone? I've read mixed things regarding upgrading L Series guitars.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 AM

Got myself an 2012 LLX6A about two weeks ago. Went to check out LL6 that was a bit of a stretch for my planned budget and walked out from the store with the black LLX instead

--
PeTe
Old 05-15-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrP. View Post
Wow, that looks nice. Do the mods make that much of a difference to the tone? I've read mixed things regarding upgrading L Series guitars.
Thanks

In all honesty, no, the mods don't affect the tone much, especially no where close to the degree of difference they did to my FG.

Yamaha got it pretty right with these guitars. I would recommend the Sta-Tites, as it makes this heavy guitar a bit lighter. I can't say much about anything else. To me, it's purely aesthetic.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:39 AM

I'm in with a new Yamaha LJ6C. No pictures yet but will post some. A modest but very beautiful looking, sounding, and feeling guitar. Acoustic electric with the sensors attached to the underside of the top. Awesome tone unplugged or plugged in. I have been playing it thru my Deluxe Reverb RI and it sounds great. I haven't even hooked it up to my acoustic amp or PA yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion