The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko1031 View Post
well i'm looking to get a travel guitar. I've checked out the little martin and baby taylor and i definitely prefer the sound of the taylor. however, the construction of the guitar seems a little flimsy(particularly the neck) compared to the rock solid little martin.
I've had my Baby M since 1999, and while I agree that the neck joint looks funky, the guitar is holding up just fine even with slightly heavier strings (Martin SP light-mediums). It's not a great sounding guitar, but as an inexpensive traveler it's more than adequate. For what it's worth, I think the mahogany top sounds better than the spruce.

If small size isn't an issue, I recommend the Big Baby for its full length scale and (to my ear) better tone than the other two Taylors. Yes, it has the Baby's funky-looking neck joint, but if it didn't hold up structurally, I expect Taylor would have either changed it or dropped the model a long time ago.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko1031 View Post

1) How is the construction of the baby taylor in the long run?
I can't speak for time, but I've played and handled a few, and they neither look nor feel rugged. Seeing the screw heads right on the fretboard where the neck attaches to the body doesn't inspire a lot of confidence from me, in terms of long-term ownership.

Quote:
3) Is the extra price on the GS mini worth it if i'm only looking for a dependable, playable guitar?
No, it most certainly is not. Despite its small size, the GS Mini isn't really in the same class as the Little Martin and the Baby Taylor: Its premium workmanship comes at a premium price. The latter two guitars are meant to be affordable travel guitars. I've played all three, and IMHO the Little Martin fits your description the best. The GS Mini is more guitar than you say you're looking for, and the Baby Taylor is... well, not much better than a toy.

If you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket, I'm sure you'll never be dissatisfied by a GS Mini. It's something special. But that doesn't seem to be what you want in your OP.
Music: The original mood-altering, non-fattening wonder drug. Ask your doctor if music is right for you. Common side effects include, but are not limited to, spontaneous happiness, increased memory and motor function, connection to others, movement of the feet and head, and the occasional persistence of catchy melodies.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry415 View Post
I can't speak for time, but I've played and handled a few, and they neither look nor feel rugged. Seeing the screw heads right on the fretboard where the neck attaches to the body doesn't inspire a lot of confidence from me, in terms of long-term ownership.

No, it most certainly is not. Despite its small size, the GS Mini isn't really in the same class as the Little Martin and the Baby Taylor: Its premium workmanship comes at a premium price. The latter two guitars are meant to be affordable travel guitars. I've played all three, and IMHO the Little Martin fits your description the best. The GS Mini is more guitar than you say you're looking for, and the Baby Taylor is... well, not much better than a toy.

If you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket, I'm sure you'll never be dissatisfied by a GS Mini. It's something special. But that doesn't seem to be what you want in your OP.
your advice hit the spot. thanks a lot!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

I have owned an LXM and the Baby Taylor. Both do well for the purposes they serve. But the GS mini is in a different class and it's not really fair to compare it to the LX and Baby. It may be more appropriate to compare the mini to a Big Baby or Taylor 110 or Martin DXXX. Just my .02.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgyrl View Post
I have owned an LXM and the Baby Taylor. Both do well for the purposes they serve. But the GS mini is in a different class and it's not really fair to compare it to the LX and Baby. It may be more appropriate to compare the mini to a Big Baby or Taylor 110 or Martin DXXX. Just my .02.
I can agree with this. I love the 110. Its a heck of a guitar. I own a DN3 and the GS mini as well as a few others. The Taylor's get lots of play time...Both of them.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM

I totally agree about the GS Mini ...Awesome.
But Having said that, I like the Taylor Mahogany Top Baby it is a sweet little guitar. I played all three today and found the Baby to be an excellent guitar for the size and money.
The GS Mini as said before is in a league of its' own.
But I'm happy to have purchased the Baby (for my daughter if she can pry it away from me).
Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 PM

I only played one of the three it was the gs mini I found it to be amazing
It had me scratching my head at the store Why did I buy a full sized GS again? Then I got home & played my GS5 O that's why
But the Mini is still amazing for what it is. The best beach guitar ever..
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 AM

I've been trying out Baby Taylors, the Martin LXM and Laguna LD1 (which I just recently noticed), and a couple other cheap models like the Mitchell (I'm sure the GS Mini is a very fine guitar, but I don't want or need to spend $500 for a camp/travel/beach fun box).

I just never was impressed with the BT, I liked the Martin's feel, playability, durability, and mellow tone a lot, but kept going back to the Laguna "Little Brat" which is much lighter, has more volume, and just more punch and overtones (just seems more "open"). For a tiny guitar, it's a blast! Looks very nice as well, with the abalone rosette and HS inlay, and slightly-bowled back. Also has a solid spruce top and wood body (sapele).

I went back to GC and tried to like the Martin again yesterday, but ended up with the Laguna LD1 back in my hands again after a few minutes. So last night I ordered one on MF and was able to talk them into using this weekend's GC "$30 off anything over $199" online coupon (Martin was excluded btw, which just cemented my growing dislike for the LXM) and I already had a $15 comp from a previous MF issue, so it's only costing me $155 shipped, and I already have a gig bag for it.

GC and MF are not exactly the same company, and at first he said they couldn't honor the GC coupon, but after "checking" he allowed the coupon offer on the Laguna. JFYI, if I purchased the Martin LX1 ($299, solid top) he would have given me $30 in accessories, but said Martin just won't allow them to discount their guitars (snooty bees-turds).

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=515909

Last edited by TomHB; 04-03-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Default Wow

GS mini

Sounds SO GOOD!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:26 PM

Gs mini
Old 04-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Wink

GS Mini>Little Martin>Bebe.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Whippersnapper

Default imo

The Little Martin sounds better than the Baby Taylor.

The Baby Taylor plays better than the Little Martin.

The GS Mini sounds and plays better than both the Little Martin and Baby Taylor.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com

Last edited by kscobie8; 04-03-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post

The GS Mini sounds and plays better than both the Little Martin and Baby Taylor.

Well, for $500, I sure hope so! It's over $200 more than either of those, and $300 more than a Laguna LD1, which IMHO even sounds better than a Martin LXM (the all hpl model).
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 AM

I'd rate them:
1) GS Mini
2) Martin LX1
3) Baby Taylor ( but I dislike the baby Taylor and would never get one)

Honestly I think the Martin sounds quite good for it's size and feels lots better then the baby taylor to me but the sound will never be confused for a full size guitar. The GS Mini sounds large-ish almost like a parlor size guitar.

However for the price of the GS Mini you can buy a Martin LX1e and a Yamaha JR1 and still have cash left over. Add in the electronics to the price of the GSm and you are talking about a major commitment.

You'd have to decide if that's worthwhile for what you are using it for.

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 AM

I have had the opportunity to try them all at once, The GS Mini does stand out, however I do believe the GS Mini is a slightly different animal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion