The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 AM

I just finished enjoying "Alison" and "Mr Tambourine Man"
This guy plays & sings with emotion, confidence, and style

Thanks for the heads-up

Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I learned about Fretkiller from this forum not too long ago and have enjoyed his You Tube videos greatly. I learned "Do It Or Die" off his video quite easily because of the clear view of his left hand on the fretboard.

I was feeling pretty satisfied that I knew who he was, thinking he was BW Stevenson, a guy I met in Dallas back in the early 70's who had a big hit with his song, "My Maria." No such luck, though. I found out that BW Stevenson died at age 38 during a heart operation, poor guy.

Now, I have no idea who Fretkiller is. But you know, I would do it the same way -- be anonymous. I would guess that he doesn't want to deal with the mechanical rights hassles of using other people's music, he's probably had his day of making music professionally and doesn't care about proving anything to anyone else anymore, but he still wants to make music and have some projects to keep him motivated.

I really appreciate what he's doing.

- Glenn
Old 11-01-2008, 09:59 AM

I love his music too...and talking of having it to listen to when driving, I've converted several YouTube videos to MP3's...using this:

http://vidtomp3.com/

Then they play in iTunes...

Rock on, Fretkillr...

Rc
Old 11-01-2008, 10:49 AM

I've listened to him many times for inspiration.
It would be nice to know his secret identity, but what kind of superhero would he be then???
Old 11-01-2008, 11:40 AM

I like his version of Girl from Ipanema:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW2sTktB2Dg

Mmm the question is whether I can figure it out and capture that bossa nova groove like he does.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I learned about Fretkiller from this forum not too long ago and have enjoyed his You Tube videos greatly. I learned "Do It Or Die" off his video quite easily because of the clear view of his left hand on the fretboard.

I was feeling pretty satisfied that I knew who he was, thinking he was BW Stevenson, a guy I met in Dallas back in the early 70's who had a big hit with his song, "My Maria." No such luck, though. I found out that BW Stevenson died at age 38 during a heart operation, poor guy.

Now, I have no idea who Fretkiller is. But you know, I would do it the same way -- be anonymous. I would guess that he doesn't want to deal with the mechanical rights hassles of using other people's music, he's probably had his day of making music professionally and doesn't care about proving anything to anyone else anymore, but he still wants to make music and have some projects to keep him motivated.

I really appreciate what he's doing.

- Glenn
Glen--I don't mean to intentionally change direction here--I love FretKiller's playing and voice--but you are the first person I've heard mention BW Stevenson. I had what I guess was his only album (bought it when I lived in Ft Worth back then). I really liked his stuff. I'd love to have a CD of what was on his old LP. I didn't know he died and have wondered what happened to him.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 11-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post
I love his music too...and talking of having it to listen to when driving, I've converted several YouTube videos to MP3's...using this:

Rock on, Fretkillr...

Rc
Thank you big time!! You just made my day.

Huge FretKillr fan here and aslo like another Youtube guy called trebleclef.

I'm really happy to be able to add this stuff to my Ipod now.

Perhaps I should change my username to Made In Japan now?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Wow he is great! I just spent like an hour looking at his stuff, haha.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post

Rock on, Fretkillr...

Rc
Thanks -- That's a great resource!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:36 PM

There is some speculation from other forums that it's 2 people and he's playing to a prerecorded voice. You can see he always has headphones on. Either way I don't care because he's fantastic! I would totally go see him in concert or at a coffee house or wherever.
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 11-01-2008, 01:40 PM

I guess it's time I came clean.............it's not me
CA GX player sunburst (08)
Taylor 414CE Spring Ltd (09)
Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
There is some speculation from other forums that it's 2 people and he's playing to a prerecorded voice. You can see he always has headphones on. Either way I don't care because he's fantastic! I would totally go see him in concert or at a coffee house or wherever.
That is interesting--my one slightly negative impression was that the voice felt disconnected from the playing on some level. The voice was too...not sure...radiolike? Sounds like a voice-over guy singing or something.

Again though, great stuff, great playing.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:24 PM

I also agree, the guy is fantastic, but there is something strange about the vocals. I also detect a kind of disconnect from from music itself. His voice is unique and great, but not to my liking really. It sounds cartoonish to me.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't it common these days for musicians to send each other parts of a song and then one of them mixes it together?

If it is two people, or heck even more than two it just showcases some super talented people!!!

I think it's kinda odd that the whole thing is kept so tightly anonymous. Unless the player/ers are famous and under contract. Is it illegal to cover a song if your not profiting from it? Is the technology so good these days that it could be a hoax of some sort? I guess it doesn't really matter much cause it's still fun to watch/listen to. What kind of bad press or whatever would be caused by people finding out that your famous and doing songs for free on Utube?

Maybe I don't have that level of modesty. If I could do that I'd be cheesin for the camera so much my face would crack!!! Chicks dig guyz that rock out on Utube don't they...
Old 11-01-2008, 03:31 PM

This thread is the first I've heard of fretkillr. I went to youtube and was late getting to work because I enjoyed his music and voice so much that I forgot the time. I'm going to spend some time learning some of his licks. His version of "Mr. BoJangles" was great!
Man I would LOVE to jam with that guy for a few hours. Thanks to the internet I believe I will.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG

Last edited by Acoustic Rick; 11-01-2008 at 03:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion