The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Default Your 5 minutes too late

A fella named Joseph Brock and his wife maintained a web page that was the bible of Yamaki guitars. Unfortunately, The coding was old and he doesn't have the vast amount of time and money to needed to upgrade the site. So it slipped into data heaven a few weeks ago. The basic history can be found with a search. I have a page or two of sales adds,. One is posted on the first page of this thread.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
I just purchased a 1972 vintage Yamaki F-115 Deluxe Folk and am trying to get as much info on the company as possible. I appreciate the info I've found here and I am jealous, bobbyb, of your two Yamaki's!!!

I am always on the lookout for yet another one as I love 'em !!

Here is my other Yamaki ....

DSC_9988 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

DSC_0012 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

DSC_0006 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

DSC_9986 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr
Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM

sorry but I just gotta say it...you suck, bobbyb!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkysparks View Post
A fella named Joseph Brock and his wife maintained a web page that was the bible of Yamaki guitars. Unfortunately, The coding was old and he doesn't have the vast amount of time and money to needed to upgrade the site. So it slipped into data heaven a few weeks ago. The basic history can be found with a search. I have a page or two of sales adds,. One is posted on the first page of this thread.
Oh that is unfortunate.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:00 PM

I found a Yamaki F-120 (dread) online this morning. Looks to be in decent shape. I might just bid on it...
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian-the-Dog View Post
As mentioned above, Daion were the Japanese distributor for both Yamaki and, at one point, Harptone. Harptone guitars were very expensive in Japan due to the (then) weak Yen versus the $, and I doubt they sold many.

What I imagine then happened was that Daion got Yamaki to manufacture a range of buffalo-head Harptone clones, and then dropped the Harptone distributorship. I am sure that Yamaki did actually manufacture all the YB-series models, they bear the Yamaki hot-brand on the centre strip as well as the Yamaki logo.

Yamaki did manufacture for other brands (including Washburn at one stage). but not (AFAIK) for Harptone.
I reviewed what data I have compiled and concur that Dian imported Harptones for about a year and started making the Buffalo head copies after Harptone was sold in 75. The first BH's I see in the catalogs are in 1977. I do not have a 76 catalog.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM

My '78 Daion has Yamaki branded on the center strip. It is sort of a Martin copy, as much as it could be with a solid cedar top, mahogany lam back and sides, maple binding and brass nut and saddle. I was told that Yamaki made some Washburns and the Hohner "Arbor" series (?) from the salesman. It is a great guitar that has held up 37 years with no issues but fret wear.
Bought new in 1978
2010 Breedlove Passport "A" tuned
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

I have a little more info about Daion I think. A friend of mine, bought his first Daion Pw Mk xx-b bass in 1982 - and have been a fan ever since. He is a walking encyclopaedia of knowledge when it comes to Daions

First things first. I have seen the info about Daion starting to manufacture guitars back in 64. I am not sure that is correct.
I suspect that the reason it is stated that Daion started to manufacture guitars in 64 is that the company may have started out as a distributor company. Not producing guitars themselves. I think this may have been where the copying models comes from as well.
The company started manufacturing guitars in 78 (or actually November 77). They only produced guitars until 84, where they closed down. The brand was than sold incl lots of parts, to Korea that continued to produce them, but due to running out of high end materials they were simply winding down on quality. So the later models like the LP, Performer (some of these were MIJ) and so on, are not high end guitars. It is only the models produced in Japan that has a serial number, and those are very very good.

I myself have 4 Daions. A Savage electric (rare single coil version called Veteran V), a 12 string Heritage, an acoustic Gezelle (sold my Martin for this, and have yet to regret that sale), and a Power Mark XX-b bass. I love them, and I love the quality of the instruments. Very very high end, and very sweet tone and sustain. Whenever I look for a new instrument, I like a lot, but always end up buying a Daion True love never dies
Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Default Yamaki/Kizan/Shinano/GJ Gould

duplicate post

Last edited by uzd; 05-30-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM

Default Yamaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid View Post
Sorry. I should clarify that I did not buy the guitar from the guy at the bar, but got mine about a year or so later at a music shop. The label in the guitar says "Yamaki Deluxe Folk". The number is #120. After using this for about 16 years I did buy a Taylor 810 which I still have at present.
Here is a May 5th 1970 Yamaki ad
http://www.oldguitar.jp/catalog/yamaki/YAMAKI-KIZAN.jpg
Entire translation is posted on another thread, I'll give you a cliff notes version and try not to upset anyone.

Deluxe Models F110,112,115,118,120,215,220....W115,120 (F)olk (W)estern (2)12string
All Deluxe Models except 120's were Western Red Cedar topped 120's were Spruce

Custom Models F125,130,140,225,230,240....W125
All Custom Models Spruce topped

backs=mahogany/cedar/nato

nut=metal or bone

truss=rod or alum channel

suffix S in later models =Spruce

last two numerics = original cost in yen ie W125 = 25000

any mistakes check w/sneaky
Hope this helps.

Last edited by uzd; 05-30-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 AM

Double post ~ Sorry

Last edited by celticlofts; 06-02-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 AM

Yep I had one too. I think mine was a YB-500 model - This photo was taken in 1978 i think.

Last edited by celticlofts; 01-17-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 AM

I have a 1977 Martin D28 and my other acoustic is a Yamaki Deluxe on the Headstock, it is indeed a Martin clone because the dimensions are almost identical Yamaki has a 44.4mm scale length the D28 is 44mm, inside it says Folk and No.115 but no serial number.

I have seen a couple of posts from people with this guitar but they say they have Serial Numbers and some have a letter W.

Mine has an adjustable Truss Rod from inside the sound hole so has no Truss Rod cover on the head stock.

Someone in Japan made some inquiries for me and they came back with it may have been an early production (Demo) used to show to music shops/retailers as it's strange that it doesn't have a Serial Number but this doesn't seem correct as I have seen some identical ones on ebay with no Serial Number there is one there now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaki-Delux...item4acb4b456b

It came with the original case and has the Japanese name N. SHINJI in Gold in English on the case.
which they said is another indication it might have been a Demo model and taken outside of Japan to show buyers because a name using Japanese characters would mean nothing to people who didn't speak Japanese.

Not sure if this means much to anyone here but I'm open to any other explanations.

Last edited by bille; 01-17-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 AM

I remember buying the Yamaki in around 77 or 78 and I kept it for about 6 months until I could finally afford to buy a Lowden. I busked in Dublin City center for the summer months and by the end of it I had enough money to go to McCullough Pigott, who if I remember correctly, were the only scockists of Lowdens at the time. I remember buying an 025 and taking it home in the back of a taxi for fear it might get damaged on a bus. To be honest I never bonded with the Yamaki and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I think I sold it for about £120.00.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 PM

I've been talking with Larry Sturgall of Harptone's Diamond-S days. He told me that he had a contract with Diaon/ Yamaki to produce Harptone and ship them to the US. Only 50 were made and shipped. This would be in winter 78/79. He's still racking his head as to weather Daion had a contract to build the Harptone designs under the Yamaki Logo. More to come as I get the scoop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion