The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 05:27 PM

Default A brief visit to the GC high end room

I sold some gear at Guitar Center today, and while I waited for them to appraise it all I bee lined over to the high end room. Here's what I played, in order:

1) MartinD-18 Authentic: This guitar must have been there a while, because the strings were dirty and dead. It sounded...good, but not worth the 4K price tag. I'm sure the strings had a lot to do with it. Nice, with good balance, but a little lifeless.

2) Martin D-28: Strings in good shape. It was very good, with the famous punchy, deep bass. Factory action was good too. It was a little less complex sounding than the next two I played...

3) Martin HD28V: Ok, this was an amazing guitar. The tone was dark, smoky, full and resonant. Despite the darkness, it had a certain sparkle too. The strings didn't look great, but it still sounded excellent.

3) Martin HD-28: Also amazing. Very similar to the HD28V: complex, dark, etc. The 28V was a little better, for reasons I find difficult to describe. I'd say it sounded a little more 'open'.

4) Gibson J-45 standard: I'd never played one of these iconic guitars, so I took it down an gave it a spin. Maybe it was because I'd just played those wonderful Martins, but it was disappointing. Not bad, just a little thin sounding. The strings needed changing, but I suspect it wasn't just that. If it had been a $500 guitar, I probably would have thought 'hey that's nice', but considering the price and the big name I was a bit let down.

I had to leave at this point, so I wasn't able to try any more. I checked the intonation on each guitar, and all were perfect (or you know, as close to perfect as it gets).

I am now in awe of the HD28 and the HD28V. I am on the verge of making my first high end purchase, and it will almost certainly be one of those two guitars. They just sounded so great for strumming open chords and singing.

End of report!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 PM

Went through the same process looking at many high end guitars at three different dealers last fall. I narrowed the list to the HD-28 and HD-28V also. I had pretty much decided to go with the HD-28 when my dear wife asked why. I said that basically it was the price difference. She said I'd be sorry. The V sounded much better and that's what I was going to get. I do not argue with my wife. Well, I do argue with her but I never win. I have a sweet HD-28V.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:06 PM

Hard to go wrong with the HD-28V.

Though the new D-18's are also nice . . . didn't care much for the straight-braced ones, though.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a fun day out at the store! As a former owner of an absolutely KILLER HD-28, I can attest to how awesome that guitar is for strumming.

However, don't quit on the J-45 just yet. As I wrote recently in another thread, it's a mistake to play a Gibson after playing loud projective guitars like Martin and Collings. Your ears will be tuned to their presence and sustain and ultimately leave you disappointed with the Gibson, which will seem subtle and almost 25% quieter volume wise.

Sit and sing quietly with the J-45 a while though and suddenly you'll start to hear its capabilities: the wide dynamic range, how it fills in the holes, creates an enveloping sound that makes it seem like more than 1 guitar is playing, etc. That is what a good Gibson does.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 PM

Interesting comment on the condition of the strings. I went into my local GC the other day and every guitar I picked up had strings that were dirty and/or rusty. I picked up a 000-28EC that I really wanted to hear, but the strings were so bad, they were actually crusty. I can't afford one, but I wanted to play it none the less. The guitar that I could actually afford, a 000-15m, had strings in the same condition. The third guitar I tried was a used Gibson Songbird, also with crusty strings. Finally, I tried two Taylors, a 614ce and an 814ce and once again they both had dull, rusty strings.

If I were in the market for a guitar that day, there is no way that I could make a valid comparison.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 07-31-2015, 06:49 PM

Before you buy at GC consider calling one of the forum sponsors and asking what they will charge you for the same beast. Some have a a good return policy if you're not happy.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:03 PM

Hmm....and its the other way around for me. Not a fan of Martin but I can't get myself out of the Gibson corner.

Different strokes...
Old 07-31-2015, 07:08 PM

The smartest move Taylor guitars ever made was to use Elixir strings on their guitars. whether you like Elixir strings or not when the guitar is in the showroom for six months the Taylors will sound better than the Martins and the Gibsons because those strings will be dead while the elixir still have some life!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
Hmm....and its the other way around for me. Not a fan of Martin but I can't get myself out of the Gibson corner.

Different strokes...
Same here! Whenever I play Martin dreds they just seem more boomy and mushy in the low end and just unbalanced. Although Gibsons are known to be more mid-range prominent, it's what my ear is used to! I will say though that I played a few Martin CEO's and Clapton models and those are very nice. Recently played a J35 that I regret not buying! Still considering one of those. Sounds so much different than my J45, which is how I can justify getting one!

I think most people who go to a shop and play bunch of Martins then pick up a J45 will be instantly disappointed unfortunately. Things get weird when we are looking at guitars in shops. I think our brains change, and automatically think bigger, fuller, louder equals better! Martins are big sounding! J45's are just more focused, smaller and more intimate sounding. Each sound has it's own place, neither better or worse, and think many equate the smaller sound of the J45 with a sub-standard quality or craftsmanship, even though it's a guitar many prefer for more intimate settings, singer/songwriter situations, etc.

Last edited by sbpark; 07-31-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post

Different strokes...

I hear ya, and even though it might read like it, this wasn't meant to be a "Martins are better" thread. I tried mostly Martins because that's what I'm interested in; the J45 was an afterthought. I was ready to like the J45, but didn't. There were other Gibsons there though, and who knows, if I'd tried a few more I probably would have found some I liked.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by existence View Post
I hear ya, and even though it might read like it, this wasn't meant to be a "Martins are better" thread. I tried mostly Martins because that's what I'm interested in; the J45 was an afterthought. I was ready to like the J45, but didn't. There were other Gibsons there though, and who knows, if I'd tried a few more I probably would have found some I liked.
I hear ya, I do try Martin when I go and I do mean try - positive attitude, open mind, play them at length but somehow my ears just don't get the Martin sound. Maybe one day I'll find one...
Old 07-31-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
The smartest move Taylor guitars ever made was to use Elixir strings on their guitars. whether you like Elixir strings or not when the guitar is in the showroom for six months the Taylors will sound better than the Martins and the Gibsons because those strings will be dead while the elixir still have some life!
Martins also use coated strings now, shipped from the factory.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
This is very true. Gibson guitars ship with their Masterbuilt Premium strings. They die very quickly, sometimes within a couple of weeks. I know because I use them. They're still the best sounding strings that I've found on Gibson guitars but durability isn't their forte.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 08-01-2015, 06:32 AM

I have to chime in on this also. About a month ago a started a thread about going to GC looking to try out one of the new D18's. As it turned out they told me they didn't stock the 18's. I was bummed at that,but went in and tried a few in the high end room, ALL the strings were just like the OP stated...bad bad bad. I checked with all 5 GC's in the Phx area.....no 18's

One of the members here suggested I go to Acoustic Vibes in Tempe, BTW is one of the sponsers here. I finally made it over there yesterday, let me say you all were right...it is a great place!.

I did get to play a 18 finally, but left with the HD28! Ithad me after the first strum,I couldn't be happier. If you are in the Phx. area do yourself a favor and check them out.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Same here! Whenever I play Martin dreds they just seem more boomy and mushy in the low end and just unbalanced. Although Gibsons are known to be more mid-range prominent, it's what my ear is used to! I will say though that I played a few Martin CEO's and Clapton models and those are very nice. Recently played a J35 that I regret not buying! Still considering one of those. Sounds so much different than my J45, which is how I can justify getting one!

I think most people who go to a shop and play bunch of Martins then pick up a J45 will be instantly disappointed unfortunately. Things get weird when we are looking at guitars in shops. I think our brains change, and automatically think bigger, fuller, louder equals better! Martins are big sounding! J45's are just more focused, smaller and more intimate sounding. Each sound has it's own place, neither better or worse, and think many equate the smaller sound of the J45 with a sub-standard quality or craftsmanship, even though it's a guitar many prefer for more intimate settings, singer/songwriter situations, etc.
I find the D-18's with the sweet sound and not so big bottom end to be the best of the Martins. Great across the sound spectrum, harmonics, and overtones are present but not overwhelming. While many find the J-45 to be a bit subdued and almost thunky, I find them pleasant to play and hear in a quiet room. The J-45 has light strings stock out of the gate, that will explain the lack of volume when compared to a D-18.
We all need to compare Mahogany to Mahogany, (D-18 to J-45), not D-28 RW to J-45 Hog, they simply do not compare well in a heads up test. Now the D-18's I have played have plenty of volume and headroom when compared to the J-45's. The D-18 can be played softly and still have great resonance and sustain, while the J-45 seems to lose when strummed lightly. I will say the Gibby sounds warmer overall with good overall play-ability. Martin wins in my book and I think it is because of Med gauge strings and the fact that Martin strings are superior to the Gibson stock strings. When new Gibson strings are first played they are tinny and brash and need some dirt to calm them down. But the overall comparison, D-18 to J-45 in my book and to my ears is Martin D-18's wins hands down. Still quite subjective though as I am a D-18 owner and am bias.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion