The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Default String Breakage: Bronze vs PB and different brands...

Ok, I've been deep in a string breaking mode, basically breaking at least one every show.

Playing loud and proud (hard strumming) in a loud full band, so it's no great surprise, but, still, what a pain!

I've sanded and polished the saddle on one guitar, but it's still happening on that guitar, and it's happened on another, as well.

Switched to a lighter pick.

It may well be this is just inevitable to my style in this current band, but, still, I'm wondering whether it has anything to do with the fact that I've gone to Martin bronze .13s.

Is PB more durable?

Are there more durable brands/"models" out there?

I used John Pearse PB 12s for years and basically never broke a string while performing, but that was before playing out with this hard band.

I can start experimenting but thought I'd see if y'all have any feedback first.

What say ye?

td
Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

What breaks is the stainless steel string core - the winding does not much matter other than a slight difference in string tension at pitch and a possible difference in string binding (coated versus non-coated) at the nut. Strings may vary slightly in their core to winding relative diameters, but I could not say which is what because I have not seen that posted by the manufacturers. Then there is of course differences in overall string gauges between what various manufacturers use for lights, mediums, ...

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 PM

I used to regularly break the G in sets of Elixir PB Polyweb Lights when they first came out. The core wire of the D and G strings is thinner than even the unwound trebles in XL 12-string sets, and apparently the first gen. Elixirs were thinner than most to make up for the extra girth of coating the surface of the wound strings. I had a bandmate who frequently used to break the D in his sets of GHS Vintage Bronze (mediums!) because he had extremely acid sweat and used a Hotlicks copper flatpick.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion