The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 09:44 PM

Default Sanata Cruz Strings...Bulk discount? Other similar quality?

Any better places to buy SC strings then from their site????.

I went to their site and you can only 'subscribe' for strings which is sort of silly....Its like BMW charging a subscription fee for their seat heaters...Just sell me the strings!!!

I play elixir Phosphors most of the time and they are 'pretty darn good' but I like that sort of Piano chime from the SC low tensions...but not at 30+ bucks a month for a set. They want 24+ tax + 5 bucks shipping per set....I don't mind paying extra, but paying 5 bucks PER SET seems a little steep on shipping, thus why I'd like to buy maybe 5 or 6 sets at once and not get nailed on that extra $$$

OR is there a similar string out there? I like the way those guys feel 'fat' under your fingers...and of course the tone....Uber balanced and loud.
Maybe there is something out there the same or similar in quality???

Idea's? Thanks
Old 05-14-2024, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

No. I've checked. And, you can't get single strings. They really have a unique feel and they last longer than anything, even far longer than Elixir. Nothing like them.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
No. I've checked. And, you can't get single strings. They really have a unique feel and they last longer than anything, even far longer than Elixir. Nothing like them.
Yeah.. I put them on an 'average' sounding guitar and they were good..then I put them on a better guitar and they sound amazing. I don't mind paying them...I guess I mind paying the Post office (LOL)
Old 05-15-2024, 05:40 AM

Not sure where you're getting $5/set shipping, are you not in continental US?

I guess only available by subscription is new, and it would be a small kink in my buying plan, as I usually wait for them to go on sale and buy the next year's requirement at sale rate.

IAC, I setup a cart and saw free shipping for east coast delivery, regardless of number of units, and also no apparent quantity discounts (shrug).

They seem to be available from Sweetwater, strings by mail, Amazon and plenty of others, and I can pick them up at the LGS also, which I visit more often than I need strings.

Last edited by Sadie-f; 05-15-2024 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

You can buy them on Amazon, but I don't know that the price would be any better.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I asked the same question toward the end of last year, and the response was that Santa Cruz runs specials once a year (around Christmas I think) but I kept checking and there were no promotions that I could find.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
Any better places to buy SC strings then from their site????.

I went to their site and you can only 'subscribe' for strings which is sort of silly....Its like BMW charging a subscription fee for their seat heaters...Just sell me the strings!!!

I play elixir Phosphors most of the time and they are 'pretty darn good' but I like that sort of Piano chime from the SC low tensions...but not at 30+ bucks a month for a set. They want 24+ tax + 5 bucks shipping per set....I don't mind paying extra, but paying 5 bucks PER SET seems a little steep on shipping, thus why I'd like to buy maybe 5 or 6 sets at once and not get nailed on that extra $$$

OR is there a similar string out there? I like the way those guys feel 'fat' under your fingers...and of course the tone....Uber balanced and loud.
Maybe there is something out there the same or similar in quality???

Idea's? Thanks
Straight Up Strings is supposed to be the same concept. Roger Siminoff was involved in the development of the SC strings. SUS cost for a three pack is $28.95. I do not know what the shipping charges would be. I have never done a side by side comparison for tone, feel or life. Maybe others have and will chime in.

https://straightupstrings.com/
Old 05-15-2024, 07:56 AM

Default Similar Strings

Not to take away from SCGC strings (have used them and they are good), but Straight Up Strings are as good. Buy a 6 pack for a discount as I remember. Roger Siminoff is a great person to deal with and if you have a question will get back to you personally.

Bourgeois JOMC, MadRose/Adi
Baranik, JX MadRose/German
Baranik, JX Brazilian/Italian
SCGC OM, Brazilian / German
SCGC OMG, Brazilian / Moon Spruce
Dan Roberts Troubadour, Mahogany/Adi
Collings CJ35 Mahogany/German
Jimmy Edmonds OM Braz/Adi
Greven '1937' D18
Greven '1937' OM Braz/Adi
Old 05-15-2024, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Like the Straight Up Strings as a replacement as well. Note that their Heavy gauge are Mediums and their Mediums are Lights in tension.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
Straight Up Strings is supposed to be the same concept. Roger Siminoff was involved in the development of the SC strings. SUS cost for a three pack is $28.95. I do not know what the shipping charges would be. I have never done a side by side comparison for tone, feel or life. Maybe others have and will chime in.

https://straightupstrings.com/
I had that knowledge plus those not having coating or treatment. I tried some others recently, arthritis is meaning less acoustic and more electric playing plus I just like those SCGC strings so might stick with it.

Now this post has added more thoughts and items to my developing retirement budget.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:59 AM

Maybe I've just had bad luck. I've tried Santa Cruz strings twice, and both times the low E was dead as a doornail right out of the pack.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
Maybe I've just had bad luck. I've tried Santa Cruz strings twice, and both times the low E was dead as a doornail right out of the pack.
My experience has been that they are great on some guitars, not so great on others. I don't use them on all of my guitars. Ironically, my Santa Cruz D-12 prefers D'addario XTs.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
I use and have used since introduction SCGC strings on all but one of my guitars.
I also had 2 sets that the low E sounded awful.
they were just dead. I ran the string back and forth about 6-8 times through the nut groove and like Lazzerus the came alive.....
This was suggested by a California friend who worked for SC..... It worked, the string sounded just fine.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 05-15-2024, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I had that knowledge plus those not having coating or treatment. I tried some others recently, arthritis is meaning less acoustic and more electric playing plus I just like those SCGC strings so might stick with it.

Now this post has added more thoughts and items to my developing retirement budget.
My main reason for using SCGCs is the coating. Not having to change strings for months is a game changer for me. Plus, the fact that they sound the same when you put them on as they do a week later, and a month later, 3 months, etc. That consistency is really valuable to me as it really annoys me to have my guitar sound great for a couple days after a string chance, then decline.

Regarding the bass strings, they feel more like a classical string to me and I like that they don't have a lot of buzzy overtones. This helps with note separation and an overall better sounding guitar, IMO.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I remember when they first came out, they had a better price for multi-set purchases - I will reach put and see what they say, as I could use a few mire sets.

And they did have a special last Xmas - make sure you are on their email, or possibly linked to the FB page to get notifications -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion