The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
As you can see, you are getting answers all over the place since no two situations are exactly alike in either the environment or the guitars. From the luthiers who built them, I know that two of my guitars were built in a shop at consistently controlled 38% relative humidity, while the other was constructed at a consistently controlled relative humidity of 45%. I own 5 hygrometers and keep them in the cases. I keep one in the room where my guitars are stored in their cases and one in the room where they are most often played. None of my hygrometers are more than 2% off from one another and they are measured against a hygrometer that has been calibrated. I have not had a problem at either a week of 65% humidity or a stretch of days of 32% humidity.

The secret to all of this is really to measure and then monitor as needed depending on seasonal changes. I was shipped a guitar from a drier environment and the fret ends were protruding and very sharp. No cracks in the wood yet but I knew I needed to hydrate the instrument slowly. Since my inside relative humidity was between 52% and 57% during those months, I left the guitar out of its case secured on a stand in my living room. It took 6 weeks for the guitar to regain enough moisture to bring the wood back even with the fret ends. So, time is also a factor in whether or not an instrument can be adversely affected to the point of no return. Sudden drastic changes in humidity and temperature can create their own issues.
I hope this information is helpful.

Best,
Jayne
If I may ask, what brand/model hygrometer do you use? I can't find one with consistent good ratings anywhere....

All Lefties...
Martin Gerry Tolman/CSNY Special Edition
Fender David Gilmour Masterbuilt
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Anderson Crowdster Plus 2
Hofner 500/1 V62 Reissue
Old 07-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsteele View Post
If I may ask, what brand/model hygrometer do you use? I can't find one with consistent good ratings anywhere....
Unfortunately, the hygrometer that I purchased years ago (the one that I calibrated) is no longer made. Sorry, I cannot remember the brand but I tried to get another one a couple of years ago and discovered that it doesn't exist anymore. The other hygrometers that I use are the Caliber IVs by Western Humidor. They are used for cigar humidors but they work great for my purpose and others here use them. The thing about these digital hygrometers is that you need to change the batteries at least once a year. They can get pretty wonky if you don't keep good batteries them. I have used them for years and only once did I have one that went off the rails after about 5 years so I just replaced it.

Here is a link for reference: https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-C.../dp/B00JXOKQVW

I hope this helps.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 07-30-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 PM

thanks very much Jayne. That seems to be the best rated of the bunch and I ordered one. Will give it a try with a salt test first to see.

All Lefties...
Martin Gerry Tolman/CSNY Special Edition
Fender David Gilmour Masterbuilt
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Anderson Crowdster Plus 2
Hofner 500/1 V62 Reissue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion