The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson J-35 or Larrivee L-03, which would you buy?

Hi everyone. I have been kicking around the idea of looking for something a little different to add to my guitars.

I have played both the Gibson J-35 and Larrivee L03. They are very different but I like them both.

Not certain I'll get either yet but I am considering. I'd appreciate thoughts from those of you who have played or owned both. Which would be your choice and why?

Thanks!

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 05-16-2015, 03:38 PM

I'd buy the Larrivee.

I just like the sound of Larrivee guitars a lot more than Gibsons. More overtones.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM

Hey Taylorcrazy, sounds like a good problem to have! :-) I'm going to vote for the Larrivee because of the broader tonal range. I had a J-15 which was very nice, but I do prefer my Larrivee. My eyes love Gibsons shamelessly, but my ears love the Larrivee sound. What did you think of each in terms of ergonomics /playability?
2016 S&P Woodland Pro Folk (LG) SB
2017 Martin Retro 000-15 All-Mahogany
2019 Taylor FLTD 512ce 12fret Cedar/Koa
2019 Taylor Builder’s Ed 517E-WHB Torr/Mah
2023 Larrivee OM-40R Custom Bearclaw/EIR
2024 Taylor Academy 20E All-Walnut Sm.Dread
Old 05-16-2015, 03:55 PM

Ask Treenewt about his L-03. He absolutely loves it and, rightfully, raves about it.

For my part, I just received a L-03R and I absolutely love it. I can't compare it to a L-03 but I can say this - the build quality is as good as any guitar I've seen and the tonal quality (overtones, sustain and reverberation) are amazing. I don't think you would be disappointed with a Larrivee.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 PM

Another "decide what guitar is better for me, even thought I've played the two I'm considering" thread!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:28 PM

Both great guitars but what style of music do you plan to play?
Old 05-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Default My thoughts

First of all, let me state emphatically that I am not asking anyone to decide between the two guitars for me. I simply asked for thoughts from others. I have been playing for over 40 years and have owned everything from Ovations to Goodalls to Taylors, Martins, Santa Cruz, Webbers, etc. and currently own the R Taylor I ordered to my specs in 2011. I enjoy this forum and discussions but I have never to date, and will not now or in the future, need anyone to decide for me which guitar I buy. It is my money, would be my guitar, and will remain my decision. I hope that satisfactorily explains my reason for this post.

Knollhavenguita, the neck on the Gibson was thicker than what I have played since I owned my Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner. I did not find it uncomfortable, simply fuller than my current guitars. As to the Larrivee, it was slimmer in the neck than the Gibby, although I did not get to play them side-by-side. I know the Larrys have a much flatter radius than some other guitars but I did not find it uncomfortable either. I found the tone to be as different as the necks and I honestly like the sound of each guitar. The Gibby had a stronger bass response and I found the Larry more balanced across all the strings. Finding either guitar in my area is unusual but I played two of each. The first Gibby had very old strings but I was impressed with the second one I tried. The first Larry was Spruce over EIR and the other was Brazilian. A Larry with Hog b&s would have been a truer comparison, but I was glad to find a couple to play.

I appreciate those who shared their thoughts.

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM

I'd go Larrivee...in fact, I Did!!!

Full confession: I'm not a big Gibson fan, so take that for what it is. I just like a different tone. Love the looks, don't like the tone so much.

The L-03 is one of the best built, best playing guitars I've laid hands on. I had heard all the hype, but I didn't believe it. I couldn't be happier with mine.

The tone is distinct. I like to call it "smooth." Some call it balanced. Whatever it is, it's awesome!

So yeah, I'd go Larrivee all the way!
Old 05-16-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorcrazy View Post
I have been playing for over 40 years.....
Taylorcrazy, I think you've pretty much earned a right to ask anything you want to on this forum my friend.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Two of my favorite brands of guitars! I've had many of both.

Sine those are my choices and we're not given a lot more information so we can make a better decision....I vote for the J-35.

Love a glossy finish on a guitar. If it were a J-35 vs a L05 I would have a tougher time making a decision.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:00 PM

I play my L-03 a lot more than my Gibson. I own three Larrivee's for a reason.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

I have played a half dozen J35's, and wanted to like them but haven't yet. And I like the Gibson tone and vibe a whole lot. On the other hand, the L03's are consistently very good guitars...tone, fit, and finish.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:56 PM

Larrivee all the way,
like others, I like the way a Gibson looks but a nice Larrivee is hard to beat in the sound dept.
Sound beats looks everytime
good luck and dont let some of the negative comments get you down.
Dave
Old 05-16-2015, 09:45 PM

Dang, I was to vote Larrivee too since I had a j 35 and have a Larrivee dread but looks like our well schooled agfers have pretty much spoken
Old 05-16-2015, 10:10 PM

Taylorcrazy, this is sort of like comparing apples and oranges, as you've already figured out.

Here's my contribution to the discussion: all musical considerations aside, Gibsons tend to have better resale value than Larrivées do. I've owned plenty of guitars built by both manufacturers, and it's much easier to get your money back out of a Gibson than it is a Larrivée.

Part of this is undoubtedly Gibson's much longer history and much wider name recognition. But Larrivée's superb, low-priced "3 Series" and "2 Series" guitars sort of have an inhibiting effect on the resale value of Larrivée guitars at all price points. These "3 Series" and "2 Series" guitars feature topnotch construction and all-solid woods with satin rather than high gloss finishes, which cuts their production costs significantly. In my experience, from a utilitarian standpoint these guitars represent some of the very best values on the market.

Whether or not my theory as to why this is true is correct, I can tell you from repeated personal experience that it's much harder to sell or trade off a Larrivée - well, maybe not "harder," but definitely slower. They just don't move as quickly as a Martin or a Gibson will, not even close.

Now, at this stage you're probably not thinking of that aspect, and maybe that shouldn't even be a consideration at all. But it's worth factoring that in.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion