The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 AM

Default "Signature" Martins (or others)

Recently I came across a Jim Croce signature Martin in the 6K range and it got me to wondering................what difference is there in these models ? Is it just a standard D28, etc... is this just marketing or are these truly unique models?
Old 05-16-2015, 09:13 AM

That Jim Croce model your talking about has Brazillian RW back and sides.also has Forward shifted bracing.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Recently I came across a Jim Croce signature Martin in the 6K range and it got me to wondering................what difference is there in these models ? Is it just a standard D28, etc... is this just marketing or are these truly unique models?
Why can't it be a little bit of both? Of course there is a bit of marketing in the name being attached to the model. But in the case of most of the signature models it is also a reason to release a model with a combination some unique specs that is generally not available in the standard lines. Yes, you can often get those specs from a custom order, but the cost on a custom order may be much higher than that of a limited edition signature model that is produced as a batch.

You are going to get a lot of reaction (these threads always do) from people who simply say "I could never own a guitar with someone's name on it" and you are also going to get reaction from a lot of people who say "who cares, if you like the guitar buy it."

Put me down in the latter camp. When I had one of the first year Clapton 000-28s, there was simply nothing else in the Martin line with scalloped bracing, short scale and a 1 3/4 nut in a 000-28. So what if it had ECs signature engraved at the 12th fret. From more than 3 feet away you couldn't read it anyway.

but you could sure read the "Martin" on the headstock...

TW
Old 05-17-2015, 09:47 AM

When I first bought a Martin, an HD28, (a great guitar) I did not care for signature Martins. I thought I would never want a guitar with some musicians signature on it. Now I own several outstanding signature instruments.

Martin picks musician know for making excellent music and are very tallented. The musicians are not luthiers but they know what sounds good. They usually take a very good instruments and make them better by customizing it to the musicians tastes and likes. Most of the time it makes a new twist on a great model. Clapton's, Juber's, Grossman.

There are some signature models that are 100 percent bling changes, those, I am not a big fan of. They remind me of a sticker on a guitar. it is still a great guitar but, I'm not a bumper sticker fan. But if it inspires someone, it's a good thing.

My 2 cents.

Martin's
00-28G 43 and 55
00-28C 68
00-28C 67 (Conversion to steel)
000-28A (Conv. 1935 C-2)
C-2 1935
HJ-38 SG
OMC-18 LJ
OMC-28 LJ
OMC-28M LJ
OMC-44K LJ
CS OM-13

Jose Aranda
Henner Hagenlocher.

Last edited by Brandy1; 05-17-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:25 AM

Dick Boak's book "Martin Guitar Masterpieces" is a pretty good run down of the company's history of producing signature models. It's a little dated by now, but still provides a lot of information and some gorgeous photos.

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Guitar-.../dp/1568527624

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 05-17-2015, 10:29 AM

Default Signature Martins

There are some exceptions, but a lot of the Signature Martins that I've had the opportunity to play have been inconsistent, especially the OMJM and the EC 000's.

I've never had the chance to play a Jim Croce although I was really into his music "back in the day."
Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I think, at one end of the scale, there are guitars that have nothing to do with an artist but a co-marketing deal gets a name to be associated with it... at the other is a guitar that has been made in conjunction with an artist and/or the artists guitar tech to a specification that isn't ordinarily available without going 'custom'. But manufactured in some numbers to allow a lower price point than custom.

The way I see it; if an artist inspires you with their music and their sound and they have guitar made to their specifications... why wouldn't you be interested in that?

(I have zero interest in 'replica' guitars, though... that's a whole other ball game, for me)
Old 05-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Guest 1928

Value on signature models involves a broad mix of factors.

Any of the older models with BRW will command a significant premium.

Some are highly sought after, and perhaps overly expensive in terms of pure utility, due to the association with the artist. Jimmy Buffet and John Mayer models come to mind.

The 000-28EC is a great example of solid, traditional Martin design that just wasn't in the catalogue before the EC guitar.

Then there are the odd ones like the Norman Blake models. Those have short scale 12 fret necks on a 14 fret bodies. Martin never did anything like that prior, but they turned out to be really great guitars. The Tim O'Brien is another great guitar, a long scale 00-18.

Some of the signature guitars really appeal to me, others not at all.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Hi Tomm,

The answer of course would depend on the model, some are slight mods of existing models, while others are ground up customs. Value would depend on several things, like rarity, desirability of the specs, and of course the type of following the artist has.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:08 PM

I have found it interesting that you rarely see Limited Signature guitars for sale in the used market. That must mean something. Most of the complaints I hear on forums are from those who don't like the idea of Signature Guitars, not on how well they perform as quality instruments. .....Mike
Old 05-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
I have found it interesting that you rarely see Limited Signature guitars for sale in the used market. That must mean something. Most of the complaints I hear on forums are from those who don't like the idea of Signature Guitars, not on how well they perform as quality instruments. .....Mike
One of the reasons, I think, is that there a lot fewer of them in circulation. Heck of a lot of standard D-28's out there, so no surprise that they turn up for sale fairly often.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
... at the other is a guitar that has been made in conjunction with an artist and/or the artists guitar tech to a specification that isn't ordinarily available without going 'custom'. But manufactured in some numbers to allow a lower price point than custom.

The way I see it; if an artist inspires you with their music and their sound and they have guitar made to their specifications... why wouldn't you be interested in that?
This is the case for the Steve Howe 00-18 I bought in 1999. It was spec'd around his original guitar. Differences included binding, bracing (I think), Engelmann spruce, among other differences from the (then) standard. Also made in a limited number, which isn't the case for some of the other sig models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion