The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
You do understand that we have different currency, right? The Canadian dollar is only worth $0.84 USD right now. That means that a $2000 USD guitar is going to cost about $2400 CAD even before duties and taxes and such are figured in.
Yes I do, but it still does not make it right that you have to pay way more. with the added duties and possible higher tax and shipping to go just across the border into canada
Taylor 214e SB DLX
Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDogs62 View Post
Yes I do, but it still does not make it right that you have to pay way more. with the added duties and possible higher tax and shipping to go just across the border into canada
Well, I'm no fan of import duties, and I can't say for certain whether we pay them on guitars, but I don't mind paying taxes at all. As Oliver Wendell Holmes said, that's how we buy civilization.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I'd be agreeable to any deal that would take Bill Belichick and the Patriots off our hands...
I suspect you're talking about a sport other than hockey, since I don't know who they are...?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Steve's and Cosmo both have them listed at 2,950. You could probably talk them down a bit. Prices have gone up a lot over the last year or so. D28s were about 2300 not long ago. Some L&M shops will deal. I recently got 200 off an amp that they were asking 1200 for. Just called a few stores until I got one that would move on price.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM

(After listing of Canadian price variables)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Is that list, MAPP or street?
No one responded to Dave. So:
- Which is it?
- Does Canada have a typical "street" price that is less than MAPP?
- Do shops in Canada advertise at MAPP (in CADs)?
- Does any online shop in Canada do the not unusual in the USA 40% off list?
- Will Canadian shops give a lower price to those willing to haggle?

I'm very curious as to how this all works in Canada.

Reid
Old 05-13-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidplum View Post
- Which is it?
- Does Canada have a typical "street" price that is less than MAPP?
- Do shops in Canada advertise at MAPP (in CADs)?
- Does any online shop in Canada do the not unusual in the USA 40% off list?
Manufacturers rarely give prices in Canadian dollars, so it's hard to say. Canadian pricing tends to depend on the exchange rate when the item was purchased, plus a little fee-to-increase-your-fee fee. I'm not aware of an online retailer offering anything like 40% off manufacturer pricing, and haggling is not (to the best of my knowledge) a "done thing" for new non-wholesale items.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I suspect you're talking about a sport other than hockey, since I don't know who they are...?
The Patriots play football...the other two sports are baseball and basketball...

But hockey? Hockey is a sport? What is this "hockey" you speak of?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 PM

The price inflation also makes it difficult to sell guitars that were imported from the states. I never bother with eBay but just post locally and still the loss is high. Canadians probably have much less instrument churn I presume. Maybe prefer the godin brands and local luthiers and yeah too bad larrivee left.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidplum View Post

Reid
Where I live there are a lot of music stores and many of them will go lower on price.

As I mentioned above, I got 200 off a 1200 amp by making one phone call because the previous shop would not reduce their price.

Recently picked up a Martin custom shop dread that was already discounted to 3,500 but I said how about 3,000 and they agreed no problem.

Some places won't move on price but there's usually someone who will. You just have to make sure you are talking to the person in the shop who has authority.

Prices are going up but when I got my 2012 D18 back in 2012 it was 2 grand even and I didn't haggle that because it was the only one in town and the US price wasn't much better if you factored in shipping and brokerage plus I actually got to play the guitar before buying which was worth what ever price difference remained.

Probably depends where you are in the country though and it's a big place so one rule won't apply. I live n Toronto which is pretty much like any large city in North America - whatever you need you can usually find it.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm no fan of import duties, and I can't say for certain whether we pay them on guitars, but I don't mind paying taxes at all. As Oliver Wendell Holmes said, that's how we buy civilization.
If the guitar is made in the USA or Mexico they are duty free(NAFTA).

All other countries we pay 6% duty.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

It seems that some here don't seem to understand that an item (e.g., a Martin d28) is not and could not be the same cost across the planet.

A US made item is only a domestic item in the USA - everywhere else it is a foreign import and is treated as such when crossing a border.

All or most countries will have import taxes, excise duty, and sales/purchase taxes (VAT, MOMS etc.) and handling charges.

Further, in most countries all prices quoted include taxes - which is not the case in the USA which seems very wrong and misleading to me.

Here in the UK, a price is a price and a new item will cost us in UK pounds as it does in the USA in dollars (or more) and as the UK pound is worth $1.50 - we effectively pay about 50% more per item.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:08 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

The irony is, is that last year, when the USD and CAD were more on par, Martin guitars were actually CHEAPER in Canada than the US when I ran the numbers... weird... now everything is way up.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
It seems that some here don't seem to understand that an item (e.g., a Martin d28) is not and could not be the same cost across the planet.

A US made item is only a domestic item in the USA - everywhere else it is a foreign import and is treated as such when crossing a border.

All or most countries will have import taxes, excise duty, and sales/purchase taxes (VAT, MOMS etc.) and handling charges.
The OP is in Toronto which is a city very close to the US border. Canada and the United States have a free trade relationship which sets the context of the discussion. When the currencies are on par many things made in the US cost the same in Canada or sometimes less as has been mentioned above. Right now the Cdn. dollar has dropped and that is likely the main cause of the current pricing variations between the two countries with respect to these guitars.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:04 PM

I'm on a couple of bike forums too, and the guys from Canada are saying the price of a new Harley up there will make your head spin and your nose bleed...
Old 05-13-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I'm on a couple of bike forums too, and the guys from Canada are saying the price of a new Harley up there will make your head spin and your nose bleed...
Yeah, prices on some things are way off and others are about the same.

I priced a cam, springs and 1.6 rockers at about 500 from Jegs for my crate motor. Went to GM here and after my 30% discount they wanted about 1,200. I said I can have it shipped to my door all in for about 750 and he says he can't buy it for that. On the other hand, my friends from the US don't believe how cheap my F-150 was new off the lot.

Guitars are, or were, comparable though at least around where I live.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion