The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by re17 View Post
The GS Mini is laminate-backed so all versions are going to sound basically the same; therefore which you pick is down to your visual preferences:

http://acousticletter.com/taylor-gs-...ewood-gs-mini/
Not right. Most of the tone variaiton comes from the top, and there are a couple options there - Spruce and Hog, which will offer different sounds. Now, given the same top, you would be right that different lam back/sides would not vary much in tone. For example, the Spruce/RW and Spruce/Koa technically should sound much the same.

The biggest variation is between individual guitar builds, not from tonal differences of the laminates.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-10-2015, 09:26 PM

I agree with Lisa. I've been thru 8 GS minis and her and I have my favorite two! Way different. Startling actually.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
Thanks for the video links, I just listened to all three. The Koa and Hog sound pretty much like my EL to me so I reckon I'll just go with the Sitka/Sapele for a better contrast and spend the money saved on some fingerpicking DVD's
Thanks for the opinions.
Mike.
If you like the spruce, you might also be interested in a used Holden Village Englemann over Maple lam. Will be hard to find because it was a limited run that ended in December, but it's the only other similar variation of spruce, and I like it better, but it is totally subjective personal thing as we all know.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-11-2015, 12:59 AM

Thanks, must admit I haven't seen a HV advertised over here so hadn't heard of it. I'll search for a new HV or spruce as I don't know enough to buy used
Old 05-11-2015, 02:28 AM

Mike,
If your Epi has a spruce top, if I were you I'd go for the all mahogany mini.
Most of the UK dealers that carry Taylor's will have them. They're nifty little guitars.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:20 AM

My Mahogany Mini sounds much much different to any spruce topped Mini I tried. Hence my purchase.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Just about to email my local dealers to see who has what in stock, will try the spruce, rosewood and mahogany ones at least, thanks again

Last edited by mikehill; 05-11-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:20 AM

My Mini HV just arrived today from the HV Bookstore. I emailed them this morning (5/11/15) and they still have 6 or so new GS Mini HV's in stock. If anyone is still searching for one without paying the crazy money some have been charging on the bay, email [email protected]

I purchased mine on a whim and so far find it a bit more warm than the usual mini's in the store. I think this is going to be a fun guitar.

Chris
Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM

That's great info, Chris! The last of the Village Minis left in the wild, with the added benefit that they are passing thru their point of origin- full circle!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varve View Post
That's great info, Chris! The last of the Village Minis left in the wild, with the added benefit that they are passing thru their point of origin- full circle!
Which is why mine is so special to me. No matter where I may land up in life, I will always have a piece of my 'backyard' with me.
2014 Taylor GS Mini HV
2014 Taylor GS Mini-e FLTD Koa (Currently Residing w/Son)
Old 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremca View Post
My Mini HV just arrived today from the HV Bookstore. I emailed them this morning (5/11/15) and they still have 6 or so new GS Mini HV's in stock. If anyone is still searching for one without paying the crazy money some have been charging on the bay, email [email protected]

I purchased mine on a whim and so far find it a bit more warm than the usual mini's in the store. I think this is going to be a fun guitar.

Chris
I may have just bought the last one at the bookstore. I emailed them. Ruth said they had 1 left. I just paid for it. Still worth a shot to email them, They may have more?????
Old 05-17-2015, 05:15 AM

Well the auditions have been held and the Rosewood won the day, so much so that I'm trading the Epi in to get it this week
Loved the Mini, it's size, weight, finish and feeling of quality. The sound is unbeleivable and it's just so much easier to play for a relative beginner such as myself. It may be the short scale, but I felt so much comfortable on the Taylor neck.
Although I now record through an AKG condensor mic I reckon the inbuilt electronics will be worth the extra just in case I get confident to do open mic stuff in the future, and make for a better resale value. Not that I plan on moving it on for a VERY long time
Thanks again for everyones advice !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion