The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2015, 06:05 AM

Default All About Arms

Before I started playing guitar six weeks ago I had a pre-existing problem with my neck, related to years at a desk job and poor posture. The condition was bad the last 10 months, but after physio and chiro it is much better now. My posture is also better and now I'm able to do things that gave me much discomfort months ago.

However, I noticed that after a few weeks of starting guitar, 30 min or more a day, that my arms would get tires, a bit achy. All else is good, but with the condition I have, there is a relationship between neck and arms (trigger points) and I think playing the guitar is affecting the condition. I'm wondering how to play guitar so that I don't get tired or sore arms.

I'm trying to keep everything relaxed, but there are good days and bad.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:27 AM

Have you tried changing the way you hold the guitar? A classical position might keep your torso, shoulders, and neck more inline and centered.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:29 AM

Default All About Arms

I most often play seated with my dreadnought on my right knee (I'm a Right handed player). Sometimes I find my neck and/or shoulder get tight and uncomfortable playing this way. For me it's habit and probably always will be. HOWEVER, when I find this posture uncomfortable, I switch knees and place my guitar on my left leg (instead of my right) and this offers a lot of relief. It feels to me like my strumming shoulder and arm can hang a little more naturally and comfortably. Give it a shot, it may work for you too.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

You may want to try a neck-up type of device like this:

http://www.amazon.com/ErgoPlay-Tappe.../dp/B005QKNUOW

There are others, like the Dynarette cushion, the Neckup, etc.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
You may want to try a neck-up type of device like this:

http://www.amazon.com/ErgoPlay-Tappe.../dp/B005QKNUOW

There are others, like the Dynarette cushion, the Neckup, etc.
+1. That and/or a classical position , I think you will find helful.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 05-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
+1. That and/or a classical position , I think you will find helful.
Yes, switching to left knee should help. Also you might think about whether a different size guitar would be more comfortable for you. When I first started playing about a year ago I had a Martin D 28. Loved that guitar but finally had to admit that playing a big dreadnought body was holding back my development as a player. Sometimes it felt like I was putting my arm around a submarine when I sat down to play.

I switched to Taylor GA's and wow what a difference. Like every new guitar player I still struggle to stay totally relaxed, but playing Taylor GA's sure makes it much easier. At least for me .

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

I am most comfortable when I use a strap to hold the guitar.

The primary benefit is that the strap is doing the work of holding the guitar so my hands and arms don't have to do that job.

I set the strap to hold the guitar a few inches above my lap. This keeps me from being inclined to , well , incline my body into poor posture.

If I don't use a strap, I inevitably find myself bent over the guitar and switching it from one leg rest to another in order to relieve stress on lower back and upper arms/

hope that helps!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-08-2015, 08:22 AM

From an other angle, how is your physical condition in general? Some light exercise that involves arms, shoulders and upper body will do anybody some good.

I like to play standing up, using a strap. With a little attention to remaining upright, and taking some steps when I feel like it, that seems to keep my shoulders and back happy.

Having played only a short time, it is possible that you have not yet got accustomed to the positions and movements of playing a guitar. That can easily lead to being tense in places that you are better off keeping relaxed.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the tips.

I started practicing with the guitar on my left leg the other day. It definately helps with the right shoulder. It does make it feel like my arm is reaching for those low frets, but I'm hoping that's just because it's new to me.

Was going to try a strap the other day, but my guitar has only one button. Might dig something with a shoelace...
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonie View Post
.... my guitar has only one button. Might dig something with a shoelace...
you may not like the shoelace, for how it gets in the way of fretting the low end of the neck.

I'm in the camp of "add another strap button" to the heel; it's much more comfortable.

I also change how I hold the guitar for the angle of the neck to change the stresses on my arms and shoulders, with a tendency to point UP rather than out or down.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-13-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
you may not like the shoelace, for how it gets in the way of fretting the low end of the neck.
Or you might.
I have a small leather strap behind the nut, holding that end of the strap, and it stays just enough out of the way. The same thing could certainly be done with a shoelace (use knots that don't slide...).

With the strap fixed up there, you need a little care not to put too much pressure on the guitar. Otherwise you might be pulling on the neck enough to make it sound out of tune.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Both arms have been better as of late. With the guitar on my left knee my right shoulder is in a better position. My right arm only gets sore when I've been strumming away for longer than normal. But it's better late in the day / next day. My left arm is now use to the slightly longer reach on those lower frets.

I'm still going to add a button and try a strap.

Last edited by Noonie; 05-18-2015 at 04:37 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion