The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Help With Fingernails

So I've been trying grow out the fingernails for some finger picking. I'm curious how you guys cut your for the best sound? Do you need to do it at an angle? How can you make not so fragile?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 PM

My suggestion would be don't cut them! File them. Personally I keep mine very short because if they get too long they break more easily. I also finish filing them with 800 grit sandpaper which smooths them off so there are not rough edges to catch. I ramp the left side of the nail on my index and middle finger (right hand) so it angles more to the top. I also keep them hydrated with a product called hoofmaker, especially this time of year. Do a search on some past threads and you will find a lot of info on nail care.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
So I've been trying grow out the fingernails for some finger picking. I'm curious how you guys cut your for the best sound? Do you need to do it at an angle? How can you make not so fragile?
Nylon Strings or Steel Strings?
Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 AM

Nails will wear down if you play steel strings, at varying rates depending on the nature of your nails and how often you play. There are lots of nail treatments you can buy in the drugstores that will coat and harden the nails enough that they will wear down slower. Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, or Witchcraft Nail Hardener work fairly well. I had acrylic nails applied once and they were fantastic, but the nails that grew back underneath them were thin and weak. If you search "nails" on this forum you will find lots of discussion on this plus a video or two that show how to shape the nail. I've gotten used to thumbpicks because my thumbnail inevitably gets split or cracked from time to time.
Hope this helps
Old 01-01-2015, 02:47 AM

Here yo go

Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 AM

I've found that the best length is so that they just barely clear the finger tip when I look at them palm up, except the thumb nail, which is very slightly longer. I also match the edges with curve of the fingertip and I agree that the nails should be filed so that any raspy edges are smoothly rounded.

This length gives me just a little bit of sharp attack mixed with the sound and feel of the finger pads.

I'd love to hear more about products or tricks to help nails wear better. My index and middle fingernails sometimes get worn right down to the quick from strumming, rasgueado and single-note lines. I've considered acrylics but after asking my wife about it, I don't think they're a good answer...I guess they have to grind your natural nails right down to the quick to apply these.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-01-2015, 08:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Definitely don't cut them! And be careful to use a quality file.

I recently introduced a crystal glass nailfile with an acid-etched filing surface specifically calibrated for acoustic guitarists. It cuts and seals the nail in one go, so no need to buff or polish to get a perfect finish for great tone. It's also the only type of nailfile which can be used to file in both directions across the nail without fear of tearing or chipping for precision shaping.

The surface, while being very effective on nails is non-abrasive on skin so will not damage calluses and there is no risk of tearing when getting 'into the corners'.

There are other glass nailfiles available, but this is one of the very few made largely by hand in the Czech republic from the highest-quality Bohemian crystal glass for exceptional performance and longevity (the surface is very hard, and will last for many, many years).

Check it out here: Wolfram Precision : Crystal.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Here yo go

An excellent video from Michael. BTW the Wolfram Precision : Crystal nailfiles are also available from the North American Guitar.

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I gave up after years of trying to keep my fragile nails in shape for fingerstyle. None of the hardeners and such ever worked very well. My wife directed me to her salon for acrylic nails on 3 fingers and thumb. They get touched up every 6 weeks or so and occasionally completely replaced. The only problem I have with them is they are so hard it's actually difficult to keep them short enough, but that's a good problem to have.
Dick
Old 01-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

You have received good advise. I try to keep mine at a length so when I look at each finger from the palm side of your hand you can see about 1/16th of an inch (~1.5 mm) extending beyond the finger tip. I use four products:

1) a glass file (as suggested)
2) a buffer (to further smooth)
3) I also apply O.P.I Matte Nail Envy Nail Strengthener a few times each week
4) a pointed steel file on a small clipper to clean crap from beneath the nail

I find that this length provides some nail, some flesh and seems to be fairly maintainable.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 AM

20 years cutting and filing. I don't get the "Don't cut them" advice. Must be something I do right with the nail clippers everyone else can't? They are kinda complicated. Sarcasm, I know...

Then, I file them to a shape I need. The final profile should be bullet-shaped (.45 ACP), not pointy, and not long. The length of nail is maybe 1/16th of an inch, or 3/32nds at most. That's obviously a guess at length but in the ballpark for me.

They will wear flat if steel string is your thing. No getting around that. I put steel string away and play nylon cross-over and standard classical guitars now. Steel string comes out occasionally but I've grown accustomed to the much more flexible use of a nylon string guitar and its easiness on the fingernails. I play plugged most times.

I use a Planet Waves tortoise thumb pick. I never did like the feel of the strings under my thumb nail. I can do a lot more with a thumb pick (strumming, flat picking and regular finger picking). I used to use Fred Kelly Delrin thumbpicks but found they wear quickly and don't have the power without bending too much before release. That's with use on a steel string guitar. They're fine for a nylon string guitar but I've grown accustomed to the Planet Waves polycarbonate pick.

Last edited by Pitar; 01-01-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 AM

Default Help With Fingernails

I use 400grit sandpaper. Fold it over to a straight edge so not the edge of the paper but the fold side to avoid paper cuts. I've done this as a classical player for 40y.

I try to shape so all nails are equal length when my fingers attack the string. Shape is very personal based on the specifics if your fingers and nails. Everybody's nails are diff. Try to experiment after getting some basic suggestions for shape from YouTube or a guitar book.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Here's James Taylors tutorial:

http://www.jamestaylor.com/guitar/le...e-bonus-video/
Old 01-01-2015, 05:13 PM

I file my nails in an arch shape, kind of like a blunt flatpick. I feel this gives me the most control and ease of playing. I start with a coarse file and gradually work down from there until I'm using a buffer/shiner for a smooth, friction-free surface.

As far as length, I leave mine just barely past the fingertip so I can still get some flesh on the string. It's a tactile thing for me, and is largely why I was never comfortable using fingerpicks.

Now, I have relatively weak nails so I reinforce my nails with LED gel overlays. They work great for me.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:50 AM

Nice info to try thanks, haven't been consistent with my nail care like the videos but will take more notice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion