The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I've never played a guitar regardless of price that I like more. But I'm referring specifically to the 12 fret slot head.

Some guitars
Old 05-17-2015, 09:47 AM

I'll jump on the bandwagon as well. I love mine. As I think about it, I can't remember hearing anyone ever say that they were disappointed with this model. Some folks have said that it may not be their cup of tea, but it wasn't necessarily due to any shortcoming of the instrument.

Of course, I stand to be corrected.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:57 AM

I actually like the 000-15M without the binding over the LA Guitar OM version, but do think the 1.75 nut is a great touch.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Guest 728

The brown stain and satin finish are what initially drew me to the model. The sound kept me there. So versatile, so unique -- a true "keeper" if ever there was one. Preach on!

Old 05-17-2015, 10:04 AM

I have always been just a Taylor guy, until I tried the 000-15m. I too was a little underwhelmed by the "plainness" of it; so I bought one of Ted's custom OM-15's from LA Guitar. A little more money, but you get the 1-3/4" nut, full tortoise binding, and full gloss. I love it, and would highly recommend the guitar and Ted to anyone! So I have my first Martin to add to the stable, and I am very pleased. Still like Taylor's too, and in fact just added a koa mini, but that is another story for another thread!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 05-17-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
It is the brown top and satin finish that I really don't like. The lack of bindings and inlays doesn't bother me at all. But in the long run, it is the way it sounds that counts. Now the 1 3/4" nut on the LA Guitars custom OM-15 is very appealing to me.
Ted also has a Gloss version for a couple hundred more. Nothing you can do about the brownness of the top though since it IS mahogany.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
I actually like the 000-15M without the binding over the LA Guitar OM version, but do think the 1.75 nut is a great touch.
I have a couple guitars without binding. Both are considerably more beat up than the ones with binding. Binding isn't simply decorative, it protects the endgrain of the top and protects against bumps and scrapes that would otherwise ding or dent the edges.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-17-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I have a couple guitars without binding. Both are considerably more beat up than the ones with binding. Binding isn't simply decorative, it protects the endgrain of the top and protects against bumps and scrapes that would otherwise ding or dent the edges.
All my other acoustics have binding, but still prefer this model without it. I don't care about dents and dings. It's a guitar, it's there to be played, and as a result little things like dents and dings will happen! Comes with the territory!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 PM

I have one of Ted's 00-15M with the wider nut and binding. The wood on Ted's seems better than what i see in GC. This might be my imagination

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 PM

I recently had my 000-15M in the shop for a basic set up after playing it for a couple months and deciding what strings to put on it (went with Martin Retros, btw). The shop had a 000-15 there at the same time that belonged to another customer, the older version that was a combination of mahogany and sapele. All the guys at the shop commented on how much nicer looking and sounding the 000-15M was compared to the 000-15. Both are very understated, but the 000-15M had better tuners, nicer fret markers, and a nicer, darker, less 'orangy' color and sounded noticeably better.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I have had two of Ted's OM-15 customs and for the life of me I never can figure out why I sell them? Great guitars and do so much well?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have had two of Ted's OM-15 customs and for the life of me I never can figure out why I sell them? Great guitars and do so much well?
Yes, Jim, and don't forget about that OOO-15SM that you sold me some time ago. You can't have it back. I'm never selling that guitar. I never tire of opening the case and taking in the intoxicating aroma of mahogany wood. Not only do I love the look of this guitar, I love the tone even better.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuitarGuy View Post
Yes, Jim, and don't forget about that OOO-15SM that you sold me some time ago. You can't have it back. I'm never selling that guitar. I never tire of opening the case and taking in the intoxicating aroma of mahogany wood. Not only do I love the look of this guitar, I love the tone even better.
Maybe I'm "all mahogany challenged" in some way?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 PM

Without doubt the best smelling guitar in the world. That mahogany smells amazing.

I came really close to buying one of these, but I found the string spacing a little too close for my tastes. I really want to try out a 000-15SM though, but I'm yet to see one in stores. 12-fretters are a hard thing to find in Australia.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion