The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2015, 07:14 AM

Default Anyone bought a used guitar from MF or Music123?

They seem to have quite a few that are called demos or store returns. The ones described as mint usually are too close to the new price to be a bargain but the ones with listed as "showing some signs of cosmetic wear" are generally offered as a pretty decent discount to new. Curious if anyone has bought one of these and if so, how much "cosmetic wear" there was. They do offer returns (buyer pays shipping) so I guess the risk is pretty minimal. FWIW, I am looking at either a Yamaha LS6 or LS16 or a Blueridge BR-63A or 163A.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 AM

I've tried a few different times. Their grading scale is inconsistent, and if it has more issues than listed they will usually pay return shipping. I am returning a Gibson J15 that had more issues than listed and they're paying return shipping.
Anderson Crowdster Plus
Anderson Crowdster 2+
Takamine EF-360S
Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teletaylor View Post
I've tried a few different times. Their grading scale is inconsistent, and if it has more issues than listed they will usually pay return shipping. I am returning a Gibson J15 that had more issues than listed and they're paying return shipping.
Yea, I bought a "used" reso from MF years ago. The strings were laying ON the fretboard. Trussrod was stuck or broken. Listed as mint. Totally unplayable. It did look new. I don't think they really check them out.

They did pay for return shipping though, so hard to lose if what you get is misrepresented. They'll make it right (In my experience).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-17-2015, 08:03 AM

Thumbs down

I bought a "scratch and dent" Epiphone Hummingbird from Music 123, the head stock was broken off.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
They seem to have quite a few that are called demos or store returns. The ones described as mint usually are too close to the new price to be a bargain but the ones with listed as "showing some signs of cosmetic wear" are generally offered as a pretty decent discount to new. Curious if anyone has bought one of these and if so, how much "cosmetic wear" there was. They do offer returns (buyer pays shipping) so I guess the risk is pretty minimal. FWIW, I am looking at either a Yamaha LS6 or LS16 or a Blueridge BR-63A or 163A.
If you're looking at their "open box" guitars I think you're safe. Based on the previous responses if the guitar isn't as described you can get them to pay for return shipping. You may want to ask if the pictures are actual pictures of the guitar or if they are stock pictures. I recently bought a Blueridge BR-173 as a birth-year guitar for my new granddaughter (great gramma that I am ill be breaking it in for her for the next decade or so) and am really pleased with the fit, finish, play and sound. Yamaha also makes very good guitars.

I got by Blueridge from MF when it was on sale and I could get an additional 15% off because of a holiday sale. I think they have a 15% sale over Memorial Day, you may want to see how that compares to the open box price. If you can save some money by having someone else give it the first scratch or two go for it. Have fun getting and getting to know your new guitar.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:05 AM

Musicians Friend and Music123 are owned by Guitar Center, guessing the guitars are the ones that have been on display at GC, and/or on one or more 30-day trial periods. No way to know the condition till you get the guitar, but GC is certainly a reputable company, and they will accept returns on these guitars.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 AM

Can't guitars bought online from GC and its related companies (MF, Music123, etc) be returned to a brick and mortar GC?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:26 AM

I bought a mutli-effects guitar pedal years ago and I thought it was a good deal as it was listed as scratch and dent. I figured the casing had some scuffs or something.

It was missing the power supply. They paid for the return as it did not meet the description but it wasted a bit of my time and I was bummed out then.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
I recently bought a Blueridge BR-173 as a birth-year guitar for my new granddaughter (great gramma that I am ill be breaking it in for her for the next decade or so) and am really pleased with the fit, finish, play and sound. Yamaha also makes very good guitars.
What a great idea! I've got a new (1 month old) grandson. Maybe I should buy the guitar and say it's for him. At least, that's what I could tell his grandmother.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:40 AM

I recently bought a scratch and dent Martin OOO-15M from an online company.
THe price was $325 off a $1250 price. I've yet to find so much as a scratch on even the pick guard, the guitar is in totally NEW condition.

What was most appealing to me, it came with a full new guitar Martin warranty.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
I recently bought a scratch and dent Martin OOO-15M from an online company.

What was most appealing to me, it came with a full new guitar Martin warranty.
Good score. The MF and M123 adds clearly state that the manufacturer's warranty does not apply. That's why the "mint condition" guitars that are less than $100 off the new price don't hold any interest for me. If I'm buying used, the savings has got to be substantial.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
Can't guitars bought online from GC and its related companies (MF, Music123, etc) be returned to a brick and mortar GC?
I don't know.

When I've seen a guitar I wanted on MF's website, I went to my local GC and had my salesmen order it for me (through GuitarCenter) . . but it comes from MF's distribution center in Kansas City.

I can easily return it to GC if it's done that way (though I've never done so).
Old 05-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Good score. The MF and M123 adds clearly state that the manufacturer's warranty does not apply. That's why the "mint condition" guitars that are less than $100 off the new price don't hold any interest for me. If I'm buying used, the savings has got to be substantial.
I agree, that if there is no warranty, you should be looking for a sizable discount. I was very happy to find out my guitar came with a warranty when I bought it -

Items with minor cosmetic blemishes are often resold, allowing you to get great gear at a discounted price. In fact, many times our customers have difficulty finding the blemishes at all! These products are 100% inspected and tested to guarantee functionality. They also include the full Manufacturer’s warranty unless otherwise stated (Gibson's do not come with a warranty, Martin's do)

Since receiving my instrument, I registered it and received my warranty acknowledgement from Martin
Old 05-17-2015, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Exactly. If I'm going to risk buying a return, it better come a ta substantial discount, or they better throw in a warranty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion