The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Saw this on FB too here in Florida, sorry for the loss of a friend...glad ya'll had the chance to make music together.

eric
Old 03-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I'm glad that folks are enjoying Steve's music, if posthumously.

Let me make clear that Steve and I were casual/music friends...many in the community, Mark Blanchard, Kath Myers, Paul Woolson, and more, were very-close to Steve.

I was happy to share the stage w/Steve a number of times, and I did want the AGF to see this news...but Steve had many closer friends than I. I don't want to misrepresent things here.

I will say that it has been one hell of a 30 day stretch for *me*, and now the loss of Steve Wildey does truly suck.

Hug your friends and loved ones, and play as much music as you can, folks...
You're right Larry...tell them how much you love them over and over again!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

This is really sad news, I got to know Steve when I lived in Florida. I have one of his CDs here. A good guy he was indeed.

I had no idea he'd been ill.

Please pass on my condolences to his family.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Mike Wong and I went to see Tommy Emmanuel (with Richard Smith) play last night and tipped a beer to him. I played Steve's CD's both going to the concert and back again.

Steve was tremendously generous and giving. I remember spending time with him at Mark Blanchard's home near Mammouth Mt., CA when he was picking up "Big Red" and I was choosing woods for my guitar. We spent a fantastic weekend talking guitars, jamming, and enjoying life.

Steve would always spend time to show you how to play a song and had great patience. He was a great talent and will be missed.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 PM

Here's a neat video Mike Wong shared of Steve and many of the Glades Gang at the 2005 Healdsburg Guitar Festival. We are in Lance McCollum's hotel room. The final video is of Steve playing a Mark Blanchard guitar. Steve loved Mark's guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ4e...ature=youtu.be

I love how Steve always has a smile while playing!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
... Hug your friends and loved ones, and play as much music as you can, folks...
Yes... The loss of a friend or even an acquaintance tends to remind me that every day is special and that we need to live life to the fullest, as much as we can.

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes... The loss of a friend or even an acquaintance tends to remind me that every day is special and that we need to live life to the fullest, as much as we can.

- Glenn
Yes, to this...

...and thanks to you, Glenn, and to the other Mods for allowing this to stay in the general forum for at least a bit...an integral member of the national guitar-playing scene has passed away, and I did want to get the word out, here.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

So sorry to hear this news. I first met and heard Steve at a guitar festival. Thanks for posting the videos, Larry.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-17-2015, 01:55 PM

I am sorry about his passing. Seemed to soon. I knew Steve only thru his forum posts and vids.

I was once in FL for a mtg over 10 y ago, and had the evening free. Took a taxi across town - what seemed like half the state - to a restaurant I think where he was playing that night. He was a great showman in addition to his prodigious guitar abilities. I am glad I went and the audience was very responsive to his excellent performance. Many had obviously heard him before.

I hope his passing was graceful. In addition to his other contributions, he has helped to bring attention to the plight of his pulmonary disease caused by side effects of bone marrow transplant for cancer (per this webpage from south Florida folk organization: http://wordpress.gotfolk.com/2015/03...ey-51159-3715/)

Rest in peace, Steve.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion