The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Default Are there any song contests that are worth a darn?

I have written a few songs over the years and have submitted some to various song contests. I've even heard back from one with some somewhat encouraging remarks (mostly generalities) I'm never totally sure if someone actually listened to the song. My question is, are there some reputable contests out there where I'd stand a chance of someone actually listening to the song I submitted? I've never paid over 30 bucks to enter a contest and I don't do it that often. Is it a waist of time and money?

(I do acknowledge the possibility that my songs just suck)
Old 05-17-2015, 11:36 AM

I've never heard of song contests except for the network karaoke contests like AI and Voice. Sounds to me like those cereal box art contests that are a front for "art schools". Pam at The Office won one of those.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 AM

Default Like this post

I really like this question because I've seen the ads for song writing contests which cost, like you say, around $30-$35, and I think to myself, sounds like I'd just be giving $35 away for absolutely no reason.

I mean, it's almost like the perfect scam for any of these contests which are not legitimate. Think about it, they're getting people to send their songs AND MONEY and they really don't have to lift a finger. Then they listen to a small percentage of the songs until they find a few winners, and the rest are never heard. It's almost a perfect scam if it is actually done that way.

In that light it would be good to hear from other members which contests are reputable and worth the money to try.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:49 AM

Many festivals have them. The Woody Guthrie Free Folk Festival, The Kerrville Music Festival, Wildflower Music Festival, Rocky Mountain Folks Festival, Telluride Bluegrass Festival are among the many and might be the most prestigious. Many other smaller ones.

Another big one in the John Lennon Song Contest. Easy to find on-line. The smaller the festival the better the chance of getting a full second look.

I've been a finalist in about 12 or so. They can be fun, most of the festivals are for "Performing Songwriters". Others are geared towards just "the song." You pay's your money and you take your chances."

Look for local songwriting groups. In California we have the West Coast Song Writers. They go from Los Angeles up to Portland that I know of. They have monthly events along with a yearly finals and also just a song contest. http://www.westcoastsongwriters.org/...l-song-contest

This year a couple of Breedlove's are the for the winners. One of the sponsors here provided the guitars.

To quote Guy Clark. "Well, I’ve never thought of songwriting as a competitive sport. Everybody supports and inspires one another, but it’s not a competition."

Last edited by BBWW; 05-17-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsrawesome View Post
I really like this question because I've seen the ads for song writing contests which cost, like you say, around $30-$35, and I think to myself, sounds like I'd just be giving $35 away for absolutely no reason.

I mean, it's almost like the perfect scam for any of these contests which are not legitimate. Think about it, they're getting people to send their songs AND MONEY and they really don't have to lift a finger. Then they listen to a small percentage of the songs until they find a few winners, and the rest are never heard. It's almost a perfect scam if it is actually done that way.

In that light it would be good to hear from other members which contests are reputable and worth the money to try.

You make a good point. Unless the contest were sponsored by some reputable source, I'd be very suspicious.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:58 AM

For me.... Songwriting is never about competition. I understand the desire to enter, but ultimately it goes against why I make music.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion