The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2015, 07:38 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratLes View Post
Are you saying you want Canadian children to starve to death as a result of cheating the Gov 't ?? Obviously if he can afford another guitar he should pay his fair share of taxes....
Starve to death or freeze to death?
Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

If I lived in Canada I'd seriously start looking at the myriad of great luthiers, small shops, and larger operations you guys have. I dearly love Martin, but it would irk the bejeezus out of me seeing those price differences.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidplum View Post
(After listing of Canadian price variables)

No one responded to Dave. So:
- Which is it?
- Does Canada have a typical "street" price that is less than MAPP?
- Do shops in Canada advertise at MAPP (in CADs)?
- Does any online shop in Canada do the not unusual in the USA 40% off list?
- Will Canadian shops give a lower price to those willing to haggle?

I'm very curious as to how this all works in Canada.

Reid
What I have seen here in Canada (Ontario and Alberta) is the price tags on guitars list the a price (usually less than MAPP converted to Canuck bucks) that they want for the guitar. Some will then on the tag call it a "sale price".

Some shops will haggle a bit maybe a $50-$100 at the most depending on the guitar, how long they have had it and how much in demand the particular guitar is. When I bought my D-28 a few years ago...there was no haggling, the "price was the price" but I did manage the salesman to throw in an Oasis humidifier ($20) which you definitely need in Western Canada in the winter.

My conclusion for what its worth is there doesn't seem to be as much competition here as compared to the US and the good ole exchange rate difference gets us!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
If I lived in Canada I'd seriously start looking at the myriad of great luthiers, small shops, and larger operations you guys have. I dearly love Martin, but it would irk the bejeezus out of me seeing those price differences.

One thing I haven't noticed people mention here is that in Canada our median income is a fair bit higher than in the US. Also when you factor in the free health care and heavily subsidized education, Canadian's often have much more disposable income than Americans.

It is not really an apples to apples comparison.

Canada is set up far more like the Netherlands than it is like the US.

Doerr/Taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion