The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2021, 02:00 PM

Default Shipping To Europe

I'm thinking about selling a $4000 guitar to someone in Europe. It seems like USPS is much cheaper than the other options however I can only insure the guitar for $650 for around $14. He's willing to except what ever happens to the guitar if something should happen. He will wire me the money before I ship. He wants me to have the declared value set to $650. Also, it's probably nothing, but I asked him to call me to discuss the sale and my CallerID said Fraudulent Call. Does anyone see any problems with this transaction? Thanks

Last edited by d40dave; 08-31-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

If it is a bank transfer you are probably safe. I would be weary to use something with buyer protection, as you would likely lost out if something happened. Finally, be aware that you would be technically breaking the law by underdeclaring the value. This could put you in an uncomfortable position if the guitar was confiscated and the buyer tried to blame you.

Is the buyer a member here? If they are, you can check up on their old posts and get an idea of who they are.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

You do realise that the value you give on the Customs Declaration is the value that will be used on arrival in the purchaser’s country to calculate import duties and taxes? On the basis that you’d be understating the value of the guitar by 80+%, in the event that this under-valuation is discovered, I believe it’s possible that the guitar could be confiscated and you and the buyer could jointly be accused of conspiracy to defraud that country’s tax authority.

Just a thought…

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 08-31-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:16 PM

I do have qualms about this, especially the declared value. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

If the under declaration is picked up on the tax authority in the receiving country will just come to their own assessment and refuse to release to the buyer unless they pay that assessment.

If you've had your money wired to you and its in your bank account, you're fine and there is zero prospect of you being pursued by the receiving country's authorities.

It's essentially a moral issue for you as to whether you want to help the buyer to attempt (probably successfully) to avoid whatever tax should be payable at true value.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 08-31-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d40dave View Post
I'm thinking about selling a $4000 guitar to someone in Europe. It seems like USPS is much cheaper than the other options however I can only insure the guitar for $650 for around $14. He's willing to except what ever happens to the guitar if something should happen. He will wire me the money before I ship. He wants me to have the declared value set to $650. Also, it's probably nothing, but I asked him to call me to discuss the sale and my CallerID said Fraudulent Call. Does anyone see any problems with this transaction? Thanks
Don’t ship with USPS to EU! I’ve just received two packages from different people sent on March!
Another package sent on May, was returned to the sender last week… it is horrible.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:12 AM
Guest 02022022

deleted account

Last edited by Guest 02022022; 02-02-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...He's willing to except what ever happens to the guitar if something should happen. He will wire me the money before I ship. He wants me to have the declared value set to $650. Also, it's probably nothing, but I asked him to call me to discuss the sale and my CallerID said Fraudulent Call. Does anyone see any problems with this transaction? Thanks
You and the buyer are perpetrating a fraud, and CallerID said it's a fraudulent call, not to mention that the "Buyer" is willing to accept whatever bad happens to the guitar. What could possibly go wrong???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-01-2021, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

*shrug* I've sent and received items trans-atlantic on the basis that its at the receiver's risk. Never any difficulty.

The caller ID thing is by no means real evidence of fraudulent activity.

What fraudster is going to pay the money direct to your account by ETF? It's the buyer who is taking all the risk here.

Again, this comes down to whether one is OK with under declaring value to assist a buyer avoid paying tax (assuming money is sitting in the OP's bank account before the guitar is shipped).
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

Last edited by Coler; 09-01-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
This sounds like a conspiracy to commit fraud.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:32 PM

The buyer is clearly perpetrating a fraud and inviting you to be an accessory, are you ok with this?
I'm in my seventies now and life has taught me that most people are prepared to break any law that doesn't suit them if the price is right and they think they can get away with it. It's a sad reflection on humanity, but it has been my experience generally.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
You do realise that the value you give on the Customs Declaration is the value that will be used on arrival in the purchaser’s country to calculate import duties and taxes? On the basis that you’d be understating the value of the guitar by 80+%, in the event that this under-valuation is discovered, I believe it’s possible that the guitar could be confiscated and you and the buyer could jointly be accused of conspiracy to defraud that country’s tax authority.

Just a thought…

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
what Jaybee says is correct. Take serious note.

Also do NOT opt for the cheapest carrier.
USPS has no authority outside the USA, they will hand it over to some other carrier.

Fedex or UPS or another international shipper are more expensive but more reliable.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
A $4,000 guitar being valued at $650. Mailing the item across the Ocean to a buyer you've never met. The caller ID saying "Fraudulent Call".

You should definitely go through with this transaction. Clearly nothing funny about this deal and certainly nothing could ever go wrong.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion