The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2003, 01:04 AM

Question I thought I had it narrowed down...

I went through about 20 Taylors over a two-week span to decide what guitar(s) I would ultimately be purchasing.

The first was going to be a 455 with the ES installed. I could tell the difference in the bass response when A/B'd with a 455ce, I don't want the Blender, and I normally don't go above the 14th fret on a 12-string, so I'm not needing the cutaway. The 455 would have been replacing my 1975 Martin D12-20, which is in need of extensive repair and is going to be retired. I've used the Martin for leading worship the whole time I've owned it, and the 12-string kind of became my trademark over the years.

The second purchase was going to be a 714ce, because I want a 6-string to accompany to vocal solos.

Then over the last couple of weeks, I've been reading about the Limiteds. This has really complicated my life, and thank you, Uncle Bob.

Has anyone here heard a 455 LTD yet? I wonder how close it is to the sound of an 855.

And, except for the 414ce being a spruce top and the 714ce being a cedar top, isn't the 414ce LTD essentially a 714ce?

To make matters worse, the 300 LTDs are coming out with koa sides and back, and the ES as well??? I'd written off the 300's, and now I'm gonna have to try these again!!

I guess I can be glad I didn't buy a 455 without hearing the limiteds first...

2003 Taylor 855ce (K&K 12)
2012 Taylor GS Mini hog (DiMarzio Black Angel)
2012 Taylor K26ce WW (Custom Shop)
2023 Taylor AD26e SE baritone
2019 Deering Goodtime II banjo
Epiphone SG Special (for noodling)
Old 07-08-2003, 01:12 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

Tough choices ahead, but what a great time to be had! Buying 2 Taylors!!! talk about a wonderful duo!
All I know is that the 4xx LTD's are very much like the 8xx without the appointments and that it's a great offer. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion