The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2003, 01:18 PM

Default New koa owner question

I just got a gorgeous 2001 414k with an LOTF inlay (must have been a custom order). It sounded amazing with the strings that were on it. They were ALL gold colored (even 1 and 2) and had gold endpieces (not colored).

I've worn out the strings over hours and hours of playing. Can't figure out what they are. Definitely not Martin phospho bronze which are a more orange gold vs. these which are a yellow gold. First, any idea what these are? Second, what have you found as a favorite string to use with koa/spruce. The sustain on this guitar is awesome, BTW.

Thanks much.

Steel string:
2001Taylor 414K (custom LOTF inlay)

Nylon string:
2003 Arturo Huipe Hauser (spruce)
2001 Arturo Huipe Fleta (cedar)
Yamaha G255sII
Yamaha G245sII
Aria Sinsonido Travel Guitar

<><
Old 07-08-2003, 02:44 PM

Dean Markley Alchemy's would be my guess, as well. I tried a set on my K20C and liked them. You'll get opinions on both sides, so go with what your ears like.

( @ )===:::
Old 07-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Yea sounds like Dean Markley alchemey .
I liked the Phos.bronze on my 310Kce in med. very muchThe total bronze is very janglley didn't like them as much.

Im going to put a set of phos. bronze on my Black DDSM ,Yea Gold on Black!
Old 07-08-2003, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Yea sounds like Dean Markley alchemey .
I agree with that statement also...

One thing for sure about those strings - they are LOUD!!! I put a set on my Cocobolo 814ceLTD, and is was like somebody turned the volume level up to "10" !!!
Old 07-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Re: koa strings

I'm always fiddling with brands but I definitely prefer phosphor/bronze to 80/20 on my koa dred's (one is spruce and one is koa topped). The 80/20's just seem "zingy" for my taste.

Grant
Old 07-08-2003, 09:08 PM

I think they could also be D'Addario EXP's of some flavor. I did some consumer string testing for them last summer and I seem to remember the gold colored B and E strings. I'm not sure which flavor of EXP however as they wouldn't tell me!
Old 07-09-2003, 06:57 AM

I have a 314K and find that I like the D'Addario EXP's better than Elixirs for this guitar. This is general not a statement about the quality of either string but simply as it realtes to this particular instrument. The koa + sitka combination tends to be pretty bright and I felt that the Elixirs put it over the top to the point at which sounded too thin. The Exp's are a little darker and more complex sounding with this combination of woods. By contrast, my son's LJ-05-12 needs the brighter sound of the Elixirs because it has alot more rumble, being a jumbo.
Larrivee OMV-50
Larrivee LJ05-12,
Seagull s6,
Dauphin 30,
Godin Kingpin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion