The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 05:38 AM

Default John Pearse armrest question.

I am considering purchasing one for a Martin OM. If anyone has bought one for an Om, how well does the radius match up ?
Old 04-25-2024, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

I don’t know how it matches that radius, but I have a Rosewood slimline I am not using. It has no tape on it anymore, but if you are in the CONUS, I could mail it out for $10, if it proves to suit your needs. It is just floundering around here.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
I am considering purchasing one for a Martin OM. If anyone has bought one for an Om, how well does the radius match up ?
There isn't one single armrest. They make many shapes. Go on their website and print out the paper template, cut it out and see if you like which one fites best for you.

I am a *HUGE* advocate for JP armrests. I have them in all my acoustic guitars. They even registered me with an "artist" discount (my one endorsement claim lol).

Anyway, I love them but I strongly caution you on this one: This 3M adhesive *WILL* attack Martin's nitrocellulose finish I had one and it started harming the surface after about 9 months. I know because I removed the and saw it. Also, the nitro is softer so its easier to damage the finish when removing (a separate type of finish damage).

So.......

I love them but I would suggest you NOT put one on a Martin

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-25-2024, 08:12 AM

I put one of the Mahogany Junior ones on my OM-21. It matched the radius of the lower bout perfectly without modification. I also have the regular one on my old D-18. I like them & think they do what they say. Personally, I just find them comfortable. I did trade the OM-21 recently & told the new owner that the best thing to do is to keep it on & he had no problem with that.

Frank
Old 04-25-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I use the JP armrests on some of my guitars. My only real issue is that if you put the armrest where it fits best, which is basically right at the top of the lower bout, it's too far forward when I flat pick. My arm wants to be kind of behind it. If you shift the rest back a bit, it no longer lines up perfectly with the guitar edge. It's not a huge deal to me. I just put it where it fits my playing the best.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
There isn't one single armrest. They make many shapes. Go on their website and print out the paper template, cut it out and see if you like which one fites best for you.

I am a *HUGE* advocate for JP armrests. I have them in all my acoustic guitars. They even registered me with an "artist" discount (my one endorsement claim lol).

Anyway, I love them but I strongly caution you on this one: This 3M adhesive *WILL* attack Martin's nitrocellulose finish I had one and it started harming the surface after about 9 months. I know because I removed the and saw it. Also, the nitro is softer so its easier to damage the finish when removing (a separate type of finish damage).

So.......

I am not sure about the Martin finish comment above, but printing out the template(s) is a great idea. I have removed them but can attest that they may mar the finish. Some no problem, others very problemmatic. I believe there is a statement on JP's website that says they should be considered permanent.

I have used them and they work as advertised. They will increase sustain and volume from most guitars.They also make the edge on the upper bout more comfortable

There is ARC custom armrests that can be ordered to exactly fit your guitar. They are a little espensive. https://my-arc.ca/
Old 04-25-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:

So.......

Thanks for this info Fazool. I guess that scares me off as this is an authentic. I bought one of the plastic versions for my new Collings, many years ago and decided to remove it. It did leave a few pinholes in the finish. Not very noticeable 27 years later. I hate the thought of dong it to another guitar despite the fact that this OM is 10 years old. I was hoping the issue had been resolved.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:

So.......

This^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-25-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I use the JP armrests on some of my guitars. My only real issue is that if you put the armrest where it fits best, which is basically right at the top of the lower bout, it's too far forward when I flat pick. My arm wants to be kind of behind it. If you shift the rest back a bit, it no longer lines up perfectly with the guitar edge. It's not a huge deal to me. I just put it where it fits my playing the best.
I play standing mostly with the guitar neck tilted up a bit so, for me, the fit is right where my arm drapes over the edge. I know that for those that sit & play your guitar basically horizontal to the ground, your arm is generally further back &, yes, possibly behind the armrest. In the sitting position, though, you should have more control over where your arm lays across the top of the guitar & probably don't really need the armrest anyway.

Getting the template first & seeing where the armrest fits your guitar's lower bout is a very good idea, though.

Frank
Old 04-25-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
And if you can't find one that fits right, try turning the template upside down. I have several left handed armrests fitted to my right handed guitars.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

The "Slimline" & "Junior" both fit the Martin OM perfectly.
Steve
Old 04-25-2024, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
The "Slimline" & "Junior" both fit the Martin OM perfectly.
Steve
I agree. Those are what I would recommend for an OM.

I have John Pearse armrests on all of my flattop guitars, and have removed them from guitars I was selling many times. Unlike Fazool’s experiences, I have had NO finish problems from using them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-25-2024, 04:35 PM

Once I get spoiled with a JP armrest or arm bevel there has been no going back for me. I used the ebony slimlines on a RainSong with polyurethane (easy removal) and a Martin I finished myself with TruOil (a little trickier but I did it). I used a guitar pick and naptha- worked like a charm.

They do help with tone considerably.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:17 PM

I actually copied my John Pearse arm rest onto a scrap piece of Brazilian rosewood and put it on my Guild D-25 - i used the 3m tape ( its the same tape that comes with the john Pearse )

I love these arm rests -yes it was fun to make -
The BR is absolutely gorgeous
Old 04-26-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
I actually copied my John Pearse arm rest onto a scrap piece of Brazilian rosewood and put it on my Guild D-25
Fortunate you.

Long ago, a younger, less well-informed, and more influenced by "specs" me bought an ebony JP arm rest for my flamed maple b/s (light in color), Ibanez dread with a rosewood bridge and fingerboard. I chose ebony as my impression then was that it was a more exotic and expensive wood than rosewood, and that violins and violas use ebony chin rests, so why shouldn't I, as well. It has always stuck out, but one doesn't really see an arm rest when a guitar is being played.

YAMAHA AC6R
YAMAHA FS5
YAMAHA RGX-A2
Ibanez PF-40 Flamed Maple B/S (1990s)
Ibanez RG ? MIJ (1987?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion