The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2022, 04:34 AM

Default Acoustic vs. Electric

Hello all,

So last week I posted a question about what open chords that I should focus on and, for the most part, the forum said that learning songs to increase one’s chord vocabulary would be a good way to go. I appreciate all your comments.

Now I find myself conflicted. I recognize that this is an acoustic guitar forum, but since there is a category for electric guitars, I’m hoping it is okay to ask a question about electric guitars. Not so much in the sense of how to play it, but rather how to decide which guitar to focus my attention. I like them both of them and I think I am of equal ability on both of them so I am not sure which way to head. At this point, it is like picking my favorite child.

So my question for the forum would be what questions should I ask myself to help me decide?

Thanks,
George
Old 03-22-2022, 04:39 AM

For me, choosing between acoustic and electric on any given day comes down to which one I want to play. That's it. Playing either one will make you better at both. So if you want to learn a Nirvana song one day, I'd plug in the electric and let it rip. If you want to learn a Simon and Garfunkel song the next, pick up the acoustic! As long as your practicing one instrument, your skills will be improving on the other.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app

2015 Martin DRS1

1930's Maybell Parlour
Old 03-22-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLabRat View Post
For me, choosing between acoustic and electric on any given day comes down to which one I want to play. That's it. Playing either one will make you better at both. So if you want to learn a Nirvana song one day, I'd plug in the electric and let it rip. If you want to learn a Simon and Garfunkel song the next, pick up the acoustic! As long as your practicing one instrument, your skills will be improving on the other.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
I agree. Depends on what songs you want to play.
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 03-22-2022, 05:04 AM

Why choose? Sometimes I get jobs where I’m asked to play both, depending on the music. In fact last Saturday I was playing both acoustic guitar and electric bass!

In terms of technique I find both electric and acoustic benefit each other, that they complement each other. I find lead runs much easier on an electric because of the lighter strings but then transferring that technique to acoustic has its benefits.

Chord work is a curious one for me. I rarely use 5-chords (root, fifth, octave, or power chords if you like) on the acoustic for example but occasionally a tune or song will benefit from it. So the dampened/palm-muted rock style translates well to the acoustic in some situations.

I used to find open chords a bit hit or miss on electric and would tend to use barre chords even when an open chord could be used. More recently I’ve seen that as a limitation I imposed on myself so now I try different voicing and fingerings to see what works best.

So, pick up the guitar you feel like playing at the time. If you’re like me and it’s been a while since you played one or the other the dichotomy of both strangeness and familiarity at the same time will be an interesting experience!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-22-2022, 05:16 AM

Two different tools. Pick the right tool for the job.
If all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:20 AM

The short answer is to play both every day, but if you're going to pick one I think it should be the acoustic. Electric is generally easier because of the lower action and (often) thinner strings.

They're both guitars (duh), but they don't feel the same and you need to alternate at least a few times a week if you want to be proficient on both. But if you're near the beginning of your guitar journey I suspect the alternating frequency is less important.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-22-2022, 05:32 AM

If you are a couch player, acoustic may give you more satisfaction as a solo instrument.

Ll.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:36 AM

While personally I have zero interest in electric, feeling I strongly prefer the sound and the music that acoustic provides in the music I play, it is obvious you have other ideas. Since that is the case, why choose? Play both and follow your muse where it leads you. If you feel like playing electric today, then do it. If tomorrow you have something else in mind, pick up the acoustic.

I am assuming you can afford both. Should I be wrong there, then pick the acoustic as it will give you the broader spectrum of music you can cover.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:51 AM

I play both daily, one I'll practice with the other I just have fun with and which is which depends on how I feel that day.
91 Taylor K15C Koa
Old 03-22-2022, 05:58 AM

When you aren’t sure, grab a banjo!
Old 03-22-2022, 07:18 AM

When I play one of my electric guitars and my tone isn't quite what I would like it to be then I switch pickups, fiddle with the knobs on my guitar, adjust my amp's EQ settings, fiddle with my gain & chorus & reverb & overdrive. Sometimes I even switch to a different electric guitar. And then fiddle with switches & knobs some more.

When I play my acoustic guitar and my tone isn't quite what I would like it to be then the problem is either my right hand technique or my left hand technique. Probably a little of both. Period.

And that's why I mostly play my acoustic guitars.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 03-22-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
When I play one of my electric guitars and my tone isn't quite what I would like it to be then I switch pickups, fiddle with the knobs on my guitar, adjust my amp's EQ settings, fiddle with my gain & chorus & reverb & overdrive. Sometimes I even switch to a different electric guitar. And then fiddle with switches & knobs some more.

When I play my acoustic guitar and my tone isn't quite what I would like it to be then the problem is either my right hand technique or my left hand technique. Probably a little of both. Period.

This.

And don't even talk to me about pedals.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:42 AM

It is less work to play the acoustic. No amp, no cables, no plug in. No "that's too loud" comments from others who live in your house.
If you are playing with others, you have a choice in what to play. If you play by yourself, the acoustic guitar usually works best.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:53 AM
Runaway Tomato

I've never been able to decide. It comes down to:
  1. Do I want to impress the girls? Electric all day every day.
  2. Do I want to carry around a bunch of equipment? No. Acoustic -- all day every day.
  3. Looks like a tie.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-22-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post

Here is another +1.

I own electrics and love them but there is a lot more to transport when going somewhere. Not only the guitar but the amp and cable.

Never owned a pedal because I could usually get what I liked with the settings on the guitar and amp.

But with an acoustic it's all me. If something is off it is me and nothing else.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion