The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 06:42 PM

Putting playability aside, because there are a lot of personal variations for that (scale length, neck width, neck carve, finish, etc...).

If you find a more traditional and bass forward tone, you'll probably get the Martin.

If you like a more modern, balanced tone, you'll probably get the Yamaha.

If you are good enough to overcome a guitar's inherent tone, then you'll get the one you like better.

The Yamaha will have less resale, less of a feel of prestige, but they sound way better than they should.

The Martin will be a quality guitar that is worth the difference in price.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:38 AM

I would go more apples to apples and compare the Martin to the Yamaha FG9 in Rosewood. While I personally lean more toward the warmth of the Martin tone, I'm sure plenty of others would opt for the clarity of the more modern sounding Yamaha.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-29-2024, 07:42 AM

Without even playing them, in general I would say the Martin is going to have more monetary value if you decide to sell, but I think you get more guitar for your money with Yamaha.

This is just an opinion and I know others will not agree. In the guitar world a Martin is going to be looked upon as the guitar all others are compared to. Me, I would take the Yamaha.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Two very contrasting guitars Mike. Both fine examples of the respective builders. I don't have an current HD-28 but do have a special run D-28 (2014) that's braced like the pre-reimagined HD-28. And I have a FGX5. I love 'em both but they are very different. The Yamaha is my one "plug & play" guitar. My others have a K&K Mini and outboard DI/pre-amp.
The Yamaha might be a little easier to play with it's 25" scale and I run 13's on mine but it has a very good 3/2 setup. The Atmosfeel pickup system is very good for my needs but I believe you're not interested so much in that.
Martin is iconic. Has an all gloss finish. Yamaha "Red Label" guitars are somewhat iconic considering they've been around almost 70 years (not the new production models) and are all satin finish. Mahogany vs EIR...there's the topic of countless threads around here. Wish I could give you better advice but it's such a personal choice. One thing I have learned...you won't scratch a "Martin Itch" with a Yamaha Red Label guitar. If you want a Martin you should get one. Otherwise the Yamaha will cover a lot of ground for you.
Best of luck whatever you decide!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion