The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Woodtone Low tension nickel

I got a couple of sets to try on my guitars. My Collings likes them a lot. They are not as bright as the DNB. The two Martins like them as well. They are definitely lower tension even though they are an in-between gauge. The 25 is less tension than the Dadarrio pB 24..I know because I replaced it in the same set. I had to increase the relief a touch for those Martins because I was having mediums on them and liking them a lot. I lowered my action to try to get the big ropes to work...and they did. I think I still like a lighter gauge better. It's either this string or the "True Medium" Gauge for all three of my guitars. I will report back on how they last. They are pretty expensive so that will be the difference maker. Compared to Martin's in-between gauge, these are much more supple.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:41 PM

Where does one get these?
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Hadn’t heard of Woodtone so I visited their website. Seems they have a particular focus on corrosion-resistant, uncoated strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcrawford View Post
They are pretty expensive so that will be the difference maker.
If you like the lower tension and want a lower price as well, I recommend you try Newtone Heritage, direct from the maker at around 2/3 the price, and GHS Thin Core, at around half the price. I get good life and good tone out of both these low-tension strings.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I hated the GHS strings. I do use some mixed gauges so I thought I would try these. They may be too low tension for me but they feel pretty good. I have played the Pearse Pure Nickels and really liked them.......my Collings did NOT. Martins liked them fine. I am going to give the Martin Retro LJs another go maybe. I can use the 13 and 17 on my guitars fine. The Martins play linkier even though they have a slightly longer scale. Interesting. The Collings is a little more stiff but I don't mind it at all. I am comparing short scales here. We'll see how long these strings last.

During the summer I usually have to go to a coated string because of the humidity. I am wondering how sticky these will get. I will report back at some point.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:53 PM

Looking at previous threads it sees that Woodtone are the “Zager” of guitar strings.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-29-2024, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcrawford View Post
...I hated the GHS strings...
I had mixed results with the Thin Core; not good on one guitar but perfect on another. It's nice when you get a good match.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:49 PM

Are the Santa Cruz strings the only coated low tension strings?
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Not a fan of low tension and/or round core strings. Never just felt right and don't sound as good to me. I'd go for shorter scale guitars before I'd use low tension strings. There was a time I never thought I'd play 13/56's. But if you commit to playing a lot, even a 73 yr old like me can still adjust.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 03-30-2024, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I tried several round core strings and didn’t bond with them. I like warmer tones, lower tension but fatter strings.

But with a pretty bright and long sustain guitar, I have been searching.

Currently I have Curtis Mangan round core Monels on and they fit the guitar well. The 13s are around 160-170 lbs tension, low for 13s.

I did not like their round core PBs, too bright even in a warmer guitar. Just not for me. But if you like or need shimmery bright strings they probably are great.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

They don't feel that low on my Collings GJ35. I played a gig with them last night and I was loving it. Today, they sound better. The warm that midrange up in the Collings. I can play mediums and do from time to time. I am not sure that they sound better than these strings do. The top is being driven fine. They sound good on my CEOs as well. Again, mediums sound good on the cEO and are still easy to play with my setup, but I like the "feel" of these strings better than other uncoated strings I use. I am really interested in how they do in humidity. I would like to keep using them through the summer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion