The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In Junior school (5-11) we sang a lot, rondo (London Bridge is falling down etc) and other choir things like Bobby Shafto, but no music studies.

I went to secondary school at 11, and we had a music teacher. Loved his lessons, lovely bloke, but during the second term he was stabbed in the playground, and died. (it was a very rough school). he was not replaced (I wonder why!?0

That was the end of my music education, but he did leave a large cupboard full of instruments, and I "liberated" the drum kit.

I tried once to learn notation, but my teacher and I both got bored at the same time.

I didn't discover tablature until I started going to a bluegrass camp. By then I had developed a way of "seeing" music in my mind, and it didn't look like tab.

I stopped going when I discovered that most of the tutors just handed out tab sheets and left.

I mostly taught myself theory as I needed it.
I always enjoy Andy's posts, whether on point or not!

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 04-10-2024, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
I hope this is not a goofy question. I have 3 acoustics and I try to play them all but my Martin has been getting most of the time. My question is this. It's about time to change strings and it's been about 4 months. I use long life. So over that period my Marin probably got played about 80 percent of the time while the other two split the remaining time. Do guitar strings that have not been played as much also need to be changed or will they be ok for a bit longer? I guess common sense would say the strings that have not been played as much would be ok for a bit longer but they are exposed to air. Just curious. Thanks.
Hi huskyman,
i was once told by the customer serrvice guy at D'addario, that strings start "going off" as soon as they are wound.

Then they wing 'em all together (by hand) and stuff 'em in the little silver grey bags that have a puff of VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) in them.

VCI slows down corrosion, but doesn't stop it.

So, strings do age even if not played .. even if not put on a guitar!

However, If the guitar comes out to play (sic) and the strings sound/feel OK to you - then all is well.

However, as I've discovered a few times a set that feel/sound fine initially, can dull down very quickly once being played in front of an audience.
You said "long life" ??? Do you men coated ?

The coating should keep them looking OK but it doesn't stop metal fatigue 9in my experience.

too many factors to give exact answers - not least your playing style how you store yuor guitars, the band and your body chemistry.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Love the sound of new strings, plus the way new strings feel. When the tone is gone and the strings feel stretched out, I change them. Easy to do when I only have two guitars I play.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:55 AM

Many folks favor the sound of strings well into their life cycle. A few even like the tone of dead strings, or at least what other folk may consider lifeless.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
I always enjoy Andy's posts, whether on point or not!
Gentlemen, my apologies, This was a response to the thread asking about whether we read notation and/or tablature, which I can no longer find.

It must have been very late that night.

It seems that I HAVE answered the string thing though.

What can I say but "Doh!"
Old 04-11-2024, 02:45 PM

Thanks everyone. I did change on the one I have played a lot for four months but the other two seem pretty good yet. Probably next month.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy Bean View Post
... A few even like the tone of dead strings, or at least what other folk may consider lifeless.
David Rawlings' style is dead strings on lifeless guitars. Works for his single notes, and he never strums chords.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:11 AM

I have 7 acoustics in the spare bedroom that I have guitars in. I have 5 that are played regularly. Of those, 3 are pulled out to go jams or nursing home gigs.

Of the guitars I play regularly, 4 have coated strings. The one that doesn't gets changed about 4 times as often.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion