The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Fahey on the Brain in the Brain?

I bought that Fahey, Mel Bay instruction book and its great! Taught by the master himself, probably not long before he died. Somewhat slurred speech, and some creepy pictures of him: but what a great treacher!. I recommend it highly. The problem, if it is one, is that I also finished reading "How Bluegrass Destroyed My life", biographical/semi biographical stories by Fahey, he didn't like to be called John, at the same time. I copied the three discs to my mp3 player and would listen to them as I was falling asleep. The way he speaks to you is like he is personally talking to you. His writing style is conversational and painfully sincere. It is often difficult to tell when he slides in and out of reality, metaphor, and metaphysics, but you do get a very good idea of who he was because I get the idea that one way or another he was speaking the truth. While my childhhod was not as dreadful as his I can totally relate (what a trite phrase)to how he related to life questioning all sorts of stuff that I don't think most people do or should worry about, but I do. His music touched me relatively early in life through Leo Kottke who lived around here. I eventually started listening to Fahey and while Leo is an absolute virtuoso, Fahey played chords and progessions that got in my soul like Leo never did, he is a part of my music and me.. Now, hearing his voice, reading his toughts, playing and listening to his music its almost overwhelming. Childhood friendships that probably form our lives more than we know, soaring/dancing cat people, alligator gars as a metaphor for evil. Be careful what you read and what you listen to.

Thanks Johnny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion