The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2014, 12:22 AM

Default DIY humidifier...

Well, I've used the sponge method...anyone tried this for a DIY humidifier? Looks like a valid idea. Thoughts?

http://thesweetbyandby.com/post/8730...tar-humidifier

I've ordered some beads to give it a whirl! My thought is to use a very thin sponge layer top and bottom to keep out leakage opportunities.

Brad

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 AM

I"m doing something similar with mine, but mine works on the soap box concept with moisture beads. That gives me some ideas to make a mount for mine inside the case.

I wouldn't want it in the accessory box inside want it with the guitar.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-11-2014, 07:48 AM

There is a fair amount of discussion here -

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=364802&page=3
Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 AM

If you haven't seen this thread, that idea was fazool's:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=288060

The blog you linked to in your OP mentions that the writer "followed some advice he found online" - I bet he found fazool's thread.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Hi meyersbw...

DYI bead humidifiers have been experimented with and deployed in the forum almost since the advent of the Oasis humidifiers.

They work, as do the sponge zip lock ones.

Humidifiers are not magic, nor do they require a manufacturer's seal of approval to be effective. Manufactured humidifiers consist of a simple housing, and either a sponge or clay holding water or beads. Easy to replicate a number of ways.

I'm partial to sponges since I can deduce their condition instantly by a small squeeze, and filling them then takes under a minute. Supplies are readily available (sponge & ziplock).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Larry, I think the biggest attractor for me is length of time in dealing with it. Every few days vs. a month or two would make the beads a big attractor for me. And, with a clear bottle it's easy enough to get a visual on their shrinkage and need for replenishment.

I just bought a pound bag for $10 and those ought to last me several years. So, if I can reduce the need to mess with it to 6-10 times a year...that's a win for me. My Martin GP is a cutaway, so I'm going to try a rather large bottle nestled into that pocket of space there. I'll work out something to prevent the "worst-case-scenario" for any excessive liquid seepage.

Granted "in the body" is a great way, but I've had no issues with sponges located in that pocket area either. I'll peek at that thread...thanks, folks!

brad

Old 12-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
Larry, I think the biggest attractor for me is length of time in dealing with it. Every few days vs. a month or two would make the beads a big attractor for me. And, with a clear bottle it's easy enough to get a visual on their shrinkage and need for replenishment.
Hi myersbw...

It doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad people are humidifying.

Just a point of interest in passing - where we live (Wyoming, high-plains 6,350 ft above sea level, extremely low humidity conditions), beads (Oasis types) have to be recharged every week or two, just like sponges. They are no more effective in dealing with an extreme environment - at least not in a noticeable fashion.

No matter what type of humidifier one uses, the room or the case still should be monitored for levels. The point where humans enter the equation is a weak area. Since it's safer to over-humidify than under-humidify some people just keep humidifiers in cases all the time and never monitor.

And despite claims that some humidifiers add and subtract humidity in the case, they really don't work that way except in a near perfect already humidity situation.

Ongoing routine…
Room humidifiers have to be filled regularly, case humidifiers too. Depending on your environment, there is no safe forget about it solution (not even with furnace whole house auto-fill units). The only safe solution is monitor and course correct.

There are a few places in the USA where the average humidity falls within safe limits year round. Those people don't have to worry about humidity. The rest of us measure and supplement humidity.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
The only safe solution is monitor and course correct.

There are a few places in the USA where the average humidity falls within safe limits year round. Those people don't have to worry about humidity. The rest of us measure and supplement humidity.

Yup, and I'm also considering mounting a LaCrosse temp/humidity sensor into the box, compare it to a good gauge and, thus, see the RH at a glance without a need to open the case...can even set an alarm to warn me. (Batteries in those sensors are good for at least a year...I've got longer from them usually.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion